Any opinions on a “do it all” shelter?

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
After lots of thought, I wound up going the the Storm Star - partially motivated by wife’s opinion of the options as we’ll both be using it, and I think this tent would be a good option for Patagonia. Worst case scenario, I can plan to pick up a hot tent in a couple of years which I will probably do anyway.

Thank you everyone for your insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elijah

FNG
I’m looking at a couple of different options for shelter:
Seekoutside Cimarron or Redcliff (with stove and half nest)

Or perhaps a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT

I’d really like something that “checks all of the boxes” - use would range from late season elk hunting to some backcountry backpacking and national park adventures with the wife. Would rather buy something versatile that would be appropriate for most seasons and give us confidence that the shelter would hold up if things get nasty (both snow or heavy rain)

I like the idea of stoves but am largely unfamiliar with floorless shelters. Obvious concern regarding bugs/snakes as well as water.

I also like the reputation of Hille and what seem to be bombproof shelters, but know it would probably be difficult to make a Nallo comfortable in warmer temperatures.

Has anybody had success finding a do-it-all tent?
I run a Hille AKTO year round and it’s been solid for 5 years. I do sometimes with i had a 2 man but honestly it’s been just fine and I’m 6.4”

prm

WKR
I have a Seek Outside Back Country Shelter with a Ti stove (EdT). Neither is made anymore. That tent/stove combo has turned some truly cold, wet, miserable nights into a warm and comfy experience. On those very cold nights at high elevation in the Rockies, there’s not much quite like having a warm tent to crawl into the sleeping bag, and then lie there with the orange glow from the stove and your bag unzipped so you don’t get too hot. Hang up any damp clothes high in the tipi and they’ll dry pretty quickly. Cold in the middle of the night? In minutes you’ll have that tent hot and be dozing off in warm comfort. Total package is 5.75lbs.

The burn bans the last two have shut me down, but if it were a survival situation, warm and dry would only be minutes away.

I would love to get a Hilleberg, just because... I want an Allak.

I’d prefer a tent with a floor if camping out East. Keeps the critters out better than a floorless tipi. Out west I haven’t found that to be an issue at all.

I run 3 set ups. One set up cannot handle all situations you will try to have shelter for.
  • borah bivy + dst tarp for fast & light / spike
  • Keron 3 is my main
  • Redcliff + sxt stove for late season

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
If I had to go to one tent, it would be my Hilleberg Keron 3. Wife doesn't dig floorless. That tent is long enough for two 6'7" guys to sleep comfortably and its of course very strong. I like vestibules on both ends as well.
I especially like my waterproof Hilleberg “Tarra” for 4 season camping with the dog or wife, it has (2) vestibules and a nice vent window at the top center! 👍

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Seek Outside Back Country Shelter with a Ti stove (EdT). Neither is made anymore. That tent/stove combo has turned some truly cold, wet, miserable nights into a warm and comfy experience. On those very cold nights at high elevation in the Rockies, there’s not much quite like having a warm tent to crawl into the sleeping bag, and then lie there with the orange glow from the stove and your bag unzipped so you don’t get too hot. Hang up any damp clothes high in the tipi and they’ll dry pretty quickly. Cold in the middle of the night? In minutes you’ll have that tent hot and be dozing off in warm comfort. Total package is 5.75lbs.

The burn bans the last two have shut me down, but if it were a survival situation, warm and dry would only be minutes away.

I would love to get a Hilleberg, just because... I want an Allak.

I’d prefer a tent with a floor if camping out East. Keeps the critters out better than a floorless tipi. Out west I haven’t found that to be an issue at all.
Ditto!! You took the words right out of my mouth lol, I have a similar set-up just use the Kifaru sawtooth and medium box stove or to save a little weight, I use my small ti-goat titanium vortex stove..Oh yes it’s paradise!!!!

Haven't seen anyone mention it, but a tent that I've had (2 of them) for years and only have a slight compliant with - slightly on the heavy side) is the NorthFace VE-25.. It has proven to check every box and has easily passed every test I've put it through including being completely snowed under.. It has withstood rain, snow , wind, etc, etc as well as anything I've used.. Has a ton of space under vestibule (both ends). I like to store gear in the front and cook in the back one.. You can pitch it with just the rainfly or fly over tent.. Has good separation between tent and fly so ventilation is great..I've had it in 75-80 mph winds and so much rain that you could feel the stream ripplying under the floor.. No leaks.. I know there are lighter tents out there, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything I'd like more.. Is advertised as a 3 person 4 season, but is a little tight for three hunters and gear, but it is perfect for 2..

rclouse79

WKR
As an admitted "shelter addict", I can tell you there is no such thing.
Floorless with stove- great for cool or cold conditions when you don't mind packing some extra weight. Sucks where you get annoying levels of mosquitos or ticks.
Free standing tent- Good for bug season.
Tarp- awesome when you might stay out and want to go light.
Tarp and a bivy with a mesh strip- Still light weight and good for bug conditions.
6 man tipi- OK for car camping. a bit of a pain to set up and wall angles limit usable space. Good for wet conditions with minimal bugs.
7 man ice fishing shelter with a buddy heater- Great for much more than ice fishing! Super easy setup, amazing usable space with vertical walls, insulated walls retain heat. I had mine out ice fishing and we got rained on for multiple hours without a leak. That being said, they are not going to be great for prolonged rain or bug conditions. It made for an outstanding elk camp with cots, pads and heater. It provided a nice cozy retreat from the -8 F temps.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
There is a youtube vid out there of a guy that added a stove pipe port to the vestibule of his hilleberg and ran a small stove in it with the divider partially unzipped to the main tent compartment. I thought that really added the missing dimension to a hille.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
There is a youtube vid out there of a guy that added a stove pipe port to the vestibule of his hilleberg and ran a small stove in it with the divider partially unzipped to the main tent compartment. I thought that really added the missing dimension to a hille.
I use a Coleman “blackcat” catalytic heater in my Hilleberg Tarra, I just put it in one of the vestibules and stay toasty and warm it uses the 1lb propane canister!

Last edited:

southLA

WKR
Seek Outside LBO. Not sure if they still make them, but you can set it up as a tarp, teepee, teepee with stove, add a nest, add a tarp for more room, etc.