Any Montana luck?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well after a good 3.5 days of hard hunting, I'm still elkless :) weather was far from ideal, moon phase far from ideal, but it sure beats work to shit :D

after day one, after not signing a lot of sign, I ended up moving higher (from a roughly 6000' area to an area closer to 7500') with that move I did get into elk one day and had my pick of a couple of cows if I would have had a permit

going to give it a go this weekend; if we even get 2" of snow up high it would be a game changer (fingers crossed)

The snow geese finally showed up in good numbers. Hopefully the elk are on the move too.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Snow has finally arrived in the high country. I saw over 100 head on the move yesterday. 63 in one bunch. No big bulls, but things are looking up! I am tagged out, but my son is hunting elk for the first time this year, and I am hopeful we can make something happen this week.

Jimbo V

WKR
Snow has finally arrived in the high country. I saw over 100 head on the move yesterday. 63 in one bunch. No big bulls, but things are looking up! I am tagged out, but my son is hunting elk for the first time this year, and I am hopeful we can make something happen this week.

November 17th...unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice! :)

gave 'em hell today; jumped a bull later in the afternoon, but no chance at all

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I gave it hell the last four days of the season; was in elk 3 of the four days- could have killed several cows if I had a permit

there were three legal bulls (possibly a couple of more) in a bunch of about 20 elk, but just couldn't get close enough to any of the bulls

had a great four days in the mountains with absolutely no regrets; I racked up over 50 miles in four days- so guilt free eating Thanksgiving :)

I might look into one of the shoulder seasons possibly

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

My 12 year old (Bitterroot Spike) connected on his first bull. Pretty awesome day!

Last edited:

WKR
Brutal season. I had the time and I had the legs but I just couldn't seal the deal. Frustrating to say the least. Big congratulations to everyone that put meat in the freezer this year, wasn't easy.
My Dec is completely accounted for but I'm hoping to get a shoulder hunt in. We'll see.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
We made it up in time for the beginning of the deer rut and killed a couple decent bucks. Didn't see any monsters. Chased after elk the last few days. We were hiking in 5+ miles into the Beartooth and just beginning to see traces of sign. Even after the first good snow around the 17-18th the elk still seemed to be up high and further in than walking distance.

hobbes

WKR
No elk in my household, but we did end up with two whitetail and one mule deer. I didn't spend too much time with a rifle in hand chasing elk, but I hunted a lot in archery. This was my fifth season here in MT and was by far the least action Ive seen.
Myself and a buddy had one close call with a bull during first week of November but it didn't work out. I doubt I'll make it out in the shoulder season.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I got the skunk this year didn't get out a ton in archery and the elk didn't seem to rut that hard for very long. Rifle I didn't get into elk till the last 10 days or so seemed to be a lot but just bed up early and hard to kill in the timber. Don't think I can do the shoulder hunt out of principle.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Was very tough season for everyone I know. I chased elk and deer all bow season, in them but never connected. Rifle came around and weather turned back to summer. However, I am extremely thankful I was able to put two cows(first double in 15+ years) and a mule doe in the freezer during rifle. Hiked my butt off trying to find a shooter buck all rifle. Only found a few forkies and that is it, even after being seeing great bucks all bow season. That's two years now without a mulie buck. Looking forward to next year already.