Any Ideas on Fixing a Tent Tear?

ewade07

WKR
While I was out this weekend I had an unfortunate situation of my Argali 4P Tent tearing. It tore 11 inches up from the bottom of the tent, close to the corner. Is there anyway that I can fix this? I have reached out to the manufacturer about it as well. I fear that my only option may be to replace the tent.

Attachments

• AD300C01-2963-4B59-B8F6-24DF71349197.jpeg
    AD300C01-2963-4B59-B8F6-24DF71349197.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 82DCE6CF-EDC5-42F3-BCF8-07885F2059D1.jpeg
    82DCE6CF-EDC5-42F3-BCF8-07885F2059D1.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 15C3F647-F59D-4CC1-B263-E1D77659BC8A.jpeg
    15C3F647-F59D-4CC1-B263-E1D77659BC8A.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 53
I'd probably start with tenacious tape on each side. It's amazing. I've patched tents, backpacks, and jackets with it. Alternatively you could put a little piece of nylon on the back and just run a seam up it with polyester thread by hand. Or, you could take it to an alterations shop. Most can probably fix it. Seam seal it if you really think it is necessary. It's pretty low near the edge so might not even matter if it very slightly seeps during hard rain.

Sail tape, sail repair tape, it is what is used on the sails of sail boats. To my knowledge tenacious tape is the same thing, but sail tape can be purchased by the roll, and in much larger sizes. But I would think Argali will be willing to repair it.

Please tell us how the tear happened?

87TT

WKR
I'd probably start with tenacious tape on each side. It's amazing. I've patched tents, backpacks, and jackets with it. Alternatively you could put a little piece of nylon on the back and just run a seam up it with polyester thread by hand. Or, you could take it to an alterations shop. Most can probably fix it. Seam seal it if you really think it is necessary. It's pretty low near the edge so might not even matter if it very slightly seeps during hard rain.
^^^^This.
You can send it to me if you buy a new one:D

*zap*

WKR
get a roll of uncle lou's stealth strip and cut piece's for a patch on both sides, it will fix that and you will never need to fix it again. if your going to throw it out send it to me and I will fix it that way and use it.... :)

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Tenacious tape might work but I think you would be better off sewing a patch. There’s a lot of tension on the bottom edge. It would be very easy to put a line of stitching and a patch along that edge then tape the rest of it.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
No expert, but that looks fixable. I put a good tear in a Kifaru Supertarp--I sent it in and they patched it and reinforced the repair with a material like they use to reinforce tie-out points. It has held up well. If the tenacious tape doesn't work, I would try something like that to spread out the stress and transfer it off the damaged part. You could also just sew it up like suturing a wound and see how it holds--I bet it would work!

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Sail tape, sail repair tape, it is what is used on the sails of sail boats. To my knowledge tenacious tape is the same thing, but sail tape can be purchased by the roll, and in much larger sizes. But I would think Argali will be willing to repair it.

Please tell us how the tear happened?
Nasty wind storm in WY, tent blew down. My guess is it got caught on a sharp edge of a rock.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern with using Tenacious tape is it failing from the stress from pulling the tent tight.

I had a similar thing happen several years ago. I hand sewed the heck out of it with braid fishing line and then covered the whole spot in Shoe Goo in the field. To my surprise it’s never leaked or required anything since!

Not sure if you’d have the same results but might be worthy a try before scrapping the tent.

*zap*

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern with using Tenacious tape is it failing from the stress from pulling the tent tight.
use the 4" wide stealth strips to repair that and you will not be disappointed.....tenacious tape is not going to hold that together.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
use the 4" wide stealth strips to repair that and you will not be disappointed.....tenacious tape is not going to hold that together.
What brand are you talking about for these 4" stealth strips?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Your put tenacious tape on the inside and outside of that and it'll be the strongest point on that tent. Did you not have your stake points rocked down and it pulled stakes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Your put tenacious tape on the inside and outside of that and it'll be the strongest point on that tent. Did you not have your stake points rocked down and it pulled stakes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Correct, stupidly did not have stakes rocked down and they pulled free. Forecast called for up to 25 mph winds, turned out to be closer to 50 mph.

*zap*

WKR
What brand are you talking about for these 4" stealth strips?

use one long strip that covers both sides and the bottom is solid also. just clean the fabric first. I speak from the experience of doing similar and having it last for many years..

Plus one on this. I've used that tape on many tents, puffy jackets, and sleeping bags!

I would put the tape on both sides and sew it. Seam seal and tape over the top but that’s probably an overkill. There are companies that do gear repair. I know there is one in Boulder, CO. Good luck!