Any elk updates from Bighorns?

Heading out with three bull tags for rifle opener. Any archery guys or locals willing to share notes without specifics on location?

Asking because it looks warm and dry with crazy wildfires to the north. Not sure what to expect different, if anything.

Thanks for any useful info -

4rcgoat

WKR
Most access to 38 is closed,some of 37. Hot,dry and windy. Was gonna do general tag in 37.......not this year.
Still tons of elk everywhere

Chief23

FNG
Don't know where you're heading but the Bighorn Mountains Facebook page gives the best updates on the fire situation. Heading out myself with an elk an deer tag. Good luck and stay safe.

nn76858

FNG
Called game and fish this am. They aren't offering anything on 40 tags at the moment only 38 as what I was told. Feel very bad for everyone effected and for the hard working 1st responders. I'm curious to how this will play out w 14 and 14 a closures if they decide to not offer anything for 40 tag holders. It being a general deer unit and a draw elk unit would have a lot of people trying to get back in from west side and a fire that could jump back up w a high wind day......As a nonres tag holder it obviously throws a wrench in plans in terms of access.......but if nothing changes it would put a lot of people in the forest that could become an issue for already busy first responders. I have common sense and don't want to get in the way but also have an elk tag that I drew in the special and if nothing is offered I will hunt. I guess time and weather this week will tell. Thoughts and prayers to everyone dealing with this first hand looks like a hell of a mess.......

BadDogPSD

WKR
We have tags for 39. Originally planned to go up Hwy 14 out of Dayton, then changed to 14 out of Greybull. Found out 14 was closed before Burgess so no way to get over to 14A. We have a big (40') toyhauler so don't want to go up/down 14A out of Lovell. Tow vehicle is an F450, so not the best for back roads. We took the truck up 14A to the closure @ Road 14/11. Lot's of campers/camps staged. Didn't see any elk, but did limited scouting as we were mainly focused on seeing options for a camp where we could utilize the SxS.
Sitting in Greybull trying to figure out a plan.

fwafwow

WKR
This is horrible and I hope the firefighters and residents are OK. I know this is an elk sub, but I'm scheduled to be in the Elk 38 area for a General Region Y deer hunt (unit 24) in a few weeks. I'm thinking it isn't happening.

nn76858

FNG
WY G&F email just came out about access closures in 39 & 40 for elk. I read it as those units are already being considered eligible for refunds or next year reservations.
Just got it as well thats the way I understood it.......it didn't say on the email but isn't dec 31st the deadline for applying for the refund/reservation?

fwafwow

WKR
I called and spoke to someone at WY G&F. He mentioned the forthcoming email. But note that you have to fill out a form. The website I visited suggested, or I at least read it that way, that you could call and get your refund or reservation.