Any Bracco Italiano Owners?

woodreaux

FNG
Any Bracco Italiano owners on here? Our family will be looking for our next dog next fall/winter, and a Bracco is on the top of my list. We're coming from a bluetick that was mostly a house dog, and the top priority for our next dog is a family dog, too. We have a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old, and two cats. We loved our hound (passed in 2021), but he was of course stubborn at times. He was fantastic with our first born, but he was also in prime, lazy hound form by that time.

A Bracco outwardly gives us the 'hound' look we love, but ideally without some of the hound stubbornness. I hunt grouse several times per year without a dog, and I'd love to have a capable hunting dog along instead.

Any particular traits (desirable or not) we should be aware of? Any health/maintenance concerns outside the ordinary?

I've found a few kennels online that deal with Braccos primarily - any recommendations on where to look for a pup?
I've got a 5 year old bracco out of Whiskey Hills kennel in S Carolina. I hunt woodcock with her in the swamps of Louisiana primarily. I'm currently in the search for another puppy, with the hopes of eventually breeding if she is the right dog.

A few thoughts on braccos ("bracchi" in fancy Italian speak):
1. They aren't GSPs. If what you care about is a high-tuned hunting, pointing, retrieving machine, you are better off with a different breed at this point. from 2013 to 2023, there were 5 (five!) braccos that won prize 1 in the Utility Test, and only a handful (like 2 or 3) that won any prize at all at the UT level. In my experience, the bracco is probably more suited to pure upland hunting-- at least this is true for my girl-- since their water work and retrieving are not their strongest suits.
2. They aren't GSPs. I'm aware that there are GSPs in the world that are great hunting companions and great home companions (e.g. Tom Swezey's Enzo), but they are not the norm in my experience. The bracco is a calm, affectionate, playful, companion in the home-- in fact, my bracco is perhaps the best house dog I've ever owned. She gets a little obnxious at times when she wants to be pet, but I can live with a dog that really wants my attention. (and she doesn't lick like a lab)
3. A bracco is an outstanding hunting companion. Even with the above caveats, as long as you know what you are getting, depending on what you are looking for, I don't think there is a better dog than a bracco. They are beautiful to watch in the field and woods, and they have more prey drive than they know what to do with at times. I decided not to breed my current bracco, because she is a terrible retriever (despite quite a bit of training) and doesn't take naturally to water, but I'm not changing breeds any time soon.

And it's not a bad thing to have the best-looking dog in the field!

Here she is at about 8 months old:

IMG_20190415_174712_768.jpg

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
I've got a 5 year old bracco out of Whiskey Hills kennel in S Carolina. I hunt woodcock with her in the swamps of Louisiana primarily. I'm currently in the search for another puppy, with the hopes of eventually breeding if she is the right dog.

A few thoughts on braccos ("bracchi" in fancy Italian speak):
1. They aren't GSPs. If what you care about is a high-tuned hunting, pointing, retrieving machine, you are better off with a different breed at this point. from 2013 to 2023, there were 5 (five!) braccos that won prize 1 in the Utility Test, and only a handful (like 2 or 3) that won any prize at all at the UT level. In my experience, the bracco is probably more suited to pure upland hunting-- at least this is true for my girl-- since their water work and retrieving are not their strongest suits.
2. They aren't GSPs. I'm aware that there are GSPs in the world that are great hunting companions and great home companions (e.g. Tom Swezey's Enzo), but they are not the norm in my experience. The bracco is a calm, affectionate, playful, companion in the home-- in fact, my bracco is perhaps the best house dog I've ever owned. She gets a little obnxious at times when she wants to be pet, but I can live with a dog that really wants my attention. (and she doesn't lick like a lab)
3. A bracco is an outstanding hunting companion. Even with the above caveats, as long as you know what you are getting, depending on what you are looking for, I don't think there is a better dog than a bracco. They are beautiful to watch in the field and woods, and they have more prey drive than they know what to do with at times. I decided not to breed my current bracco, because she is a terrible retriever (despite quite a bit of training) and doesn't take naturally to water, but I'm not changing breeds any time soon.

And it's not a bad thing to have the best-looking dog in the field!

Here she is at about 8 months old:

View attachment 711938
Fantastic info!