Any book recommendations for 17yo?

Sailing Alone Around the World
- Captain Joshua Slocum, 1896

Not a boring motivational book, but a great true story of perseverance and adventure.

Rich M

WKR
Get him a book about doing a business plan. I spent 3 yrs in an MBA program to learn this. It will help him w the business end of things.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo:
Extreme ownership
The dichotomy of leadership
Rich dad poor dad
12 rules for life

I’ll ad:
The comfort crisis
Crucial conversations

Books for a young man...
The Measure of a Man by Gene A. Getz
Think & Grow Reach by Napoleon Hill
Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins

There are so many good books for young men trying to handle life.

take him out in nature/wrenching on your tractor/digging holes for trees. sounds like he is full of piss and vinegar. find his 'thing', exploit it.

telling a kid to read a book is as hard as it is to tell an adult to read a book.

but, to address the original question:
how to stay alive in the woods-angier (since this is rokslide)
principles-dalio (#1 fav, have read it numerous times)
the hard things about hard things-horowitz (#2 fav, have read it numerous times)
Brain rules (medina)(great book, easy fun read)
outliers (gladwell)(great book, easy fun read)
tools of titans-feriss-tons of 'short' reads in it

patents-ikenson
quadrivium-walker
meditations-MA
letters from a stoic-seneca

hes a kid first and foremost. if the book sounds/looks/feels like you are forcing him, he'll push from it. fun shorts are better. 'my electrician drives a porsche' has long been on my 'ill pick it up someday fun read' book.

He is about the age to enjoy the Flashman books. They are historical fiction of an British Army Officer in the late 1800s Victorian era. They are extremely detailed and well researched and you will learn more about shitty historical leaders, military history and general world events and cultures from that series than any other book series. There are plenty of womanly adventures to keep it all interesting too.

Dooms

FNG
G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
John C. Wright, The Iron Chamber of Memory

Those might be heavy lifts. More fun reads that are a straight up gateway drug to a lifetime of reading...

Larry Correia, Monster Hunter International
That book will hook a young man in a hot second. High school reading lists are misery rolled in stupidity. This, rocks. His Dead Six trilogy, written with a no kidding EOD Iraq Vet is lit, and the genesis of the first book was originally posted on WeTheArmed many moons ago.

A little more science fiction bent, written by another veteran of Iraq, Zachary Hill, Sakura, Intellectual Property. It has a heavy metal playlist to go with it.

If he likes a different genre, Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series is fun.

The Book of Five Rings by Musashi is a deep read. It is a mirror, and the more you grow, the deeper it goes.

If he is a gun guy... Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle is enjoyable. As is Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting.

If I didn't hit something, please ask, I am a voracious reader and there is something for everyone.

sirens of titan by Kurt Vonnegut is one of my faves. All these recommendations about financial success and how to be a man sound kinda boring to recommend to a 17 y.o. This one is a mindf*** but probably valuabe to read at that age. i have read it over and over ...

Undaunted courage
With the Old Breed

I’d echo extreme ownership & can’t hurt me from above

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Any book by the following Authors.

Simon Sinek
Jocko Willink
David Goggins
Dave Ramsey