Any Boise, Idahoans out there?

idahodave

WKR
You’ve probably never been to Wyoming And I say that as an Idaho resident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew,

I have been to Wyoming. A strong second place. You seem like a nice guy…but I stand by my statement. Your mom dropped you on your head at least ONCE.

Nice deer in your avatar! Where you get it?..

Dave

p.s. Kidding…mostly.

id_jon

WKR
I will say, I know way more people who have moved to Idaho from Wyoming, than the other way around😅

idcuda

WKR
I probably never really answered the OP. Moved to Mountain Home in '96 (Air Force) from PA. No way I was going back there, even though I loved growing up on the east coast. Stayed in the Boise area and it's been fantastic. There are some trade-offs with growth, but I'm not going anywhere.

Just read a news story about a guy getting pistol whipped TO F'N DEATH in Caldwell and the two guys who did it getting shot by someone else. It's a regular utopia right up the road from Boise.

All gloom set aside, I grew up in a town of 800 people a couple of hours north of Boise. My wife and I (girlfriend at the time) moved to an apartment in downtown Boise. It took some getting used to, but it was an absolute blast to live down there. Without any kids or responsibilities, downtown Boise is a rather happenin' place. As quite a few guys above have stated, it's still a decent place to be (for now). If you are from a larger urban area, Boise will probably be a refreshing change to you. Housing is disgustingly high and recreation within a couple hours drive is crowded.

Spoonbill

WKR
Just read a news story about a guy getting pistol whipped TO F'N DEATH in Caldwell and the two guys who did it getting shot by someone else. It's a regular utopia right up the road from Boise.
Unfortunately incidents like that happen in other parts of Idaho but don’t make the news. When its a small town in rural Idaho the news tends to not care. That being said, crime does seem to be on the rise in Boise, same with a growing homeless population.

ODB

WKR

You hear about the guy in the north end waving a gun and when the cops showed up he started firing and they did too? Didn’t turn out well for the guy…

Unfortunately incidents like that happen in other parts of Idaho but don’t make the news. When its a small town in rural Idaho the news tends to not care. That being said, crime does seem to be on the rise in Boise, same with a growing homeless population.
I live outside a small town in Idaho, we don't have anyone getting pistol whipped to death or African refugees stabbing little kids to death at their own birthday party either.

Reactions: Duh
There was a fentynal bust down there recently, I don't remember the amount confiscated but the cops said it was enough of the pure drug to kill every person in the state 20x. Total shocker that a couple cartel members were arrested.

ianpadron

WKR
One of the coolest/cleanest "big" cities around. Definitely helps that Seattle, Chicago, and Minneapolis are my baseline LOL

My wife took a 6 month travel nursing contract there while we transitioned from Washington to Montana and we both absolutely loved it.

I know that folks born/raised there think it's gotten out of hand, but we were coming from the Seattle metro...so the lack of traffic, tent cities, etc. coupled with the endless outdoor rec opportunities right out your front door was mind blowing to us. We'd literally lace up our shoes, walk out the door, and string together a 10 mile trail run on the foothills trail system... can't beat that. The food scene is bangin' downtown too.

Unit 39 and 43 might be the 2 most crowded units in the entire West for big game, but opportunities abound and guys kill crushers out of both every year.

2 hr drive to McCall or 4 up to Stanley and you're in the coolest country in the state with way fewer hunters.

Good time to buy a place in Boise as well, roughly 22% correction in housing there market-wide over the past year.

If ya like bird hunting and fly fishing...doesn't get much better. I dream about some of the chukar/quail/hun hunts I had behind my dogs during the one season there...epic would be an understatement.

As you can tell, I like Boise a lot...

Lived here 13-14 years now. Lots of changes. Town Square mall, theaters, food, etc. Mostly positive.
BUT if definitely has a big city feel compared to when I moved here. For me, I don't care for the traffic and congestion. Draw odds have dropped significantly. Housing boom has outpaced the roads/infrastructure.
Agriculture fields and pastures have been replaced with high density housing. What I miss the most is the slower paced feel and friendly folks. Folks seem rushed and less friendly (not all). When that started happening the vibe changed. You just feel the change if you have lived here for some time. Going to the mountains, even less accessible areas, are more congested. I guess folks these days feel the need to list their scenic trips and special alpine lakes hikes on FB, IG, etc., so the entire valley can check it out. Not to mention with more people more trash. Less clean than what it was and of course with population growth graffiti has started showing up more. Still love it here for other reasons just not the ones mentioned above. BUT I bought, sold, bought again at great times in the market. I'll ride the wave and enjoy the equity.

Last edited:
Andrew,

I have been to Wyoming. A strong second place. You seem like a nice guy…but I stand by my statement. Your mom dropped you on your head at least ONCE.

Nice deer in your avatar! Where you get it?..

Dave

p.s. Kidding…mostly.

I shot the deer somewhere within a couple hours of Boise, don’t remember which direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Last I looked the median income was 35k and median home price was 600k. I don't understand what makes it attractive to folks unless they show up with money and don't need to make more.

I can't reconcile the average wage with the home prices. Out of state money pricing the locals out of the market is my only logical conclusion. Is that a correct assessment?

One has to consider that the Treasure Valley / Boise area is several cities that have all grown together to create one big metropolitan area. I suspect that the 600k median home price is for Boise proper and not the entire Treasure Valley area. The further west from downtown Boise you go the cheaper the houses get. Same with the average wage, is that for Boise proper, the entire area, Nampa?

But yes, with remote working a lot of people moved in to Boise during the pandemic and in the course of about a year and a half doubled home prices.

I've visited a few times over the last couple years and am considering moving there in the future. Having grown up in Minneapolis and lived in Denver the last 23 years Boise and the surrounding area is a pretty quiet city and remarkably clean for a city it's size. There were no homeless camps in the downtown city parks as well as I didn't run in to any panhandlers, the river through town had close to zero garbage in it. I get a chuckle every time someone on here makes some sort of comment about how Boise is trash. Having experienced a lot of major cities across the country Boise in my mind is probably one of the cleanest and safest big cities I've ever seen. It borders on being a "Mayberry" like town.

Spoonbill

WKR
One has to consider that the Treasure Valley / Boise area is several cities that have all grown together to create one big metropolitan area. I suspect that the 600k median home price is for Boise proper and not the entire Treasure Valley area. The further west from downtown Boise you go the cheaper the houses get. Same with the average wage, is that for Boise proper, the entire area, Nampa?

But yes, with remote working a lot of people moved in to Boise during the pandemic and in the course of about a year and a half doubled home prices.

I've visited a few times over the last couple years and am considering moving there in the future. Having grown up in Minneapolis and lived in Denver the last 23 years Boise and the surrounding area is a pretty quiet city and remarkably clean for a city it's size. There were no homeless camps in the downtown city parks as well as I didn't run in to any panhandlers, the river through town had close to zero garbage in it. I get a chuckle every time someone on here makes some sort of comment about how Boise is trash. Having experienced a lot of major cities across the country Boise in my mind is probably one of the cleanest and safest big cities I've ever seen. It borders on being a "Mayberry" like town.
The homeless are there and have gotten worse since I moved there in 2018. When the city held up the permits for a new homeless shelter, they set up a camp across from the capital around the old courthouse across the street.
That having been said, Boise is a great city and has a lot less problems compared to most cities.

ODB

WKR
Stats like this are interesting when it comes to people moving to Boise.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.12.39.jpeg