Any Boise, Idahoans out there?

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey!
I got a tip on a job in Boise Idaho & I'm wondering if anyone out there can provide a bit about their experience residing there? I'm a CO native & I've been trying to do some researching. How has your experience been? Good hunting opportunities? Big Mountains? Grizzly bears? Thx!

Last edited:

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the treasure valley. Southwest of boise about 10 miles. No grizzlies in this part of the state. Extremely crowded hunting anywhere near boise. I recommend driving a few hours minimum from town and hiking a ways to avoid overly pressured animals.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

If you're not used to cities, Boise is a big city by Idaho standards and has the typical city problems. Traffic is bad, wages are low, drugs are winning the war on drugs, cops shoot someone about once a week and criminals shoot each other about every 36 hours.

Duh

WKR
Lived there for 6 years and liked it as a young single person. Got expensive and too big for my liking after a while.

Was driving 2 1/2 hours for decent hunting. Snowboarding, mountain biking, and water sports in the area were fun. If I move back to Idaho, it’ll be in a smaller town up north.

Dented

WKR
I can't reconcile the average wage with the home prices. Out of state money pricing the locals out of the market is my only logical conclusion. Is that a correct assessment?

ODB

WKR
Last I looked the median income was 35k and median home price was 600k. I don't understand what makes it attractive to folks unless they show up with money and don't need to make more.

You are spot on. We moved back here (after having been gone almost 20 years) smack in the middle of Covid. It’s a damn good thing we did: today we could/would not afford the house we bought just a mere three years ago. And yeah, I wish to hell I kept the house we sold in 2004…

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not used to cities, Boise is a big city by Idaho standards and has the typical city problems. Traffic is bad, wages are low, drugs are winning the war on drugs, cops shoot someone about once a week and criminals shoot each other about every 36 hours.
Yea seems like there is a lot of foolishness happening there by the look of it

bpeay4

FNG
The Boise metro are is huge and growing fast. nearly half of the states residents live in the treasure valley. if you don't like big cities then consider other parts of the state.

I’ll echo others comments. I live in Emmett and commute into Boise for work. Emmett is growing with every other city in the Treasure Valley. The square between Horseshoe Bend, Emmett, Star and Eagle is set to explode in new development. Its getting harder every year to get away from the crowds.

idcuda

WKR
I can't reconcile the average wage with the home prices. Out of state money pricing the locals out of the market is my only logical conclusion. Is that a correct assessment?
Yep, that has been the biggest factor.

If you're new to the area, or a local kid who's ready to start your adult life here, you're SOL in most cases.

KurtR

WKR
I’ll echo others comments. I live in Emmett and commute into Boise for work. Emmett is growing with every other city in the Treasure Valley. The square between Horseshoe Bend, Emmett, Star and Eagle is set to explode in new development. Its getting harder every year to get away from the crowds.
That area is crazy. My brother moved to star 6 years ago and from year to year when I go out there I am amazed at the development.

That area is crazy. My brother moved to star 6 years ago and from year to year when I go out there I am amazed at the development.
It is. It’s been kinda interesting watching the land grab between Eagle and Star. Both city’s threw their flags as far as they could . I think Eagle won the battle so far with the annexation of Avimor, but Star is working north too.

fatbacks

WKR
I grew up there and makes me sad to see what it has turned into. Areas where I used to quail hunt after school are now high density housing and places I used to escape to in the mountains are filled with people who just moved there. Great place to grow up but not for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in Boise this weekend. As a Washingtonian, I was impressed and a bit disappointed. Impressed at how nice, clean and developed the city was by my standards that are set by our mostly ruined cities here. Disappointed in how expensive it was (pretty similar to Puget Sound).

IDShane

WKR
We moved here from Wisconsin in 2018 and really love it. Yes, I do get sick of the traffic/stupid drivers but I am really hooked on living in the high desert. I can understand why long time residents do not like the growth and as a father of 2-20+ year olds I am very concerned as to how our kids will be able to afford to live here. Overall we really like it no winter (compared to Wisconsin), no bugs, barely any humidity.

7mm-08

WKR
Boise was and continues to be a great place to live. We've been here since 2000 and we don't foresee ever moving. Granted, over time, the population has increased substantially and that irks the folks who were born and brought up here, especially the traffic and the concentration of housing close to the city. What needs to be said is that folks who espouse that sentiment, generally lack perspective and have never lived in a larger metropolitan area where commutes are significantly more than an hour each way every day. Housing here is very expensive as the result of folks realizing during COVID-19 they wanted to live in this wonderful place. We have some serious terrain. I hunted with a few guys from Colorado and they said Colorado was lots easier to hunt than Idaho. My sense is that you hunt higher altitudes in Colorado, but the terrain is not nearly as vertical. Few grizzlies in the state - you can probably find a few in the Yellowstone Ecosystem, but not in most other locations. I won't comment on the hunting. Good luck with your decision.