Any '17-'18 F150 3.5 owners?

So back in 2009 I bought a 04 half ton Ram with a 4.7.
Shes been an OK truck, the best part is the no payments. But she's gutless, loud in the cab uncomfortable on long trips she's just turned over 200k.

The wife and I had a talk and we agreed I need a new truck for this September.

She's probably heading to the inlaws to live out another hundred k as a farm truck or be traded in to make high school kid happy.

I don't "need" a big diesel as fun as one would be. Just enough power to tow a horse trailer in the near future. It'll also be my daily driver so mpg is huge. Especially with making trips hunting and scouting. The current 10-12 mpg I get is a huge strain to go hunting.

After hours of research I've settled on a 2017 or 18 Ford 150 with the Ecoboost. Probably under 50 miles if I can. I really have zero biases towards brands. Honestly I used to make fun of Fords. But that was without much personal experience. It seems these have the better towing, mpg and cab space in their class (sound like a damn Ford advertisement). Also like the fact I can use the buttons on the door to get in then my phone to start it up WHEN (not if) I lose my keys.

Anyone own/owned one? I've yet to have a guy who has say they weren't good. Usually it's the well my cousins husband's sisters friend's father inlaw's cousin had one and it sucked is the only negatives I ever get. Nothing first hand. Or the typical fan boy of another brand just just cherping.

Any huge maintenance problems or concerns?

I'd love a big ass Tundra but I can't afford the fuel for one. That's the biggest reason for an upgrade is fuel economy. A diesel would be fun but I'd like a newer year truck but that's not in the budget for a diesel.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, have a 2017 Super Crew 3.5 Eco 6.5" bed, with cap, that gets ~ 19 MPG. More on highway.
I find it to be plenty of power, and couldn't be happier. I don't have experience towing in mountains, it's rated at 12K towing capacity. Only 26K miles and no problems so far. Changing oil is a little weird at first, but not an issue. Much nicer truck than the 2004 F150 it replaced.

dmc

FNG
I've got one right at around 60,000 miles. It's been a good truck and I like it. I have a hard time keeping my foot off the turbo so I don't get great gas mileage (oh and mud tires). It will fly over mtn passes. 36 gal tank is awesome, Not a ton of ground clearance.

I had a really bad case of "cold start rattle" fixed under warranty but would have been a few thousand to fix otherwise. Always been a little nervous about the transmission (10 speed) and if the turbo will cause me issues later in life. The ford mechanic who worked on my truck said he prefers the V8, FWIW.

I can't start mine with a cell phone - seems like that was an upgraded package. Good luck with the new truck!

OP
TradLife406
I've got one right at around 60,000 miles. It's been a good truck and I like it. I have a hard time keeping my foot off the turbo so I don't get great gas mileage (oh and mud tires). It will fly over mtn passes. 36 gal tank is awesome, Not a ton of ground clearance.

I had a really bad case of "cold start rattle" fixed under warranty but would have been a few thousand to fix otherwise. Always been a little nervous about the transmission (10 speed) and if the turbo will cause me issues later in life. The ford mechanic who worked on my truck said he prefers the V8, FWIW.

I can't start mine with a cell phone - seems like that was an upgraded package. Good luck with the new truck!
I watched a few of those YouTube movies where the mechs are asked what they like better the 5.0 or the 3.5. They all said 5.0 but dang that v6 seems to fly.

You guys get the short or the long bed?

I found a nice 18 long bed a few hours from here with 41k. They want 37... But I'll try and dicker em down.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
"I had a really bad case of "cold start rattle" fixed under warranty but would have been a few thousand to fix otherwise. Always been a little nervous about the transmission (10 speed) and if the turbo will cause me issues later in life. The ford mechanic who worked on my truck said he prefers the V8, FWIW."

Please tell me about this.... I sometimes start rolling and is sounds like the rotors are falling off the truck. What was our experience with "cold start rattle"?

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Auto mechanic here...I own a 15 Super crew, 3.5L, 5.5ft bed, Leer topper, 33" BFG'S
The fuel mileage is okay. I average 16mpg
The ride sucks. Many of my customers trucks ride much, much nicer on the exact same roads that I'm driving. (I have driven literally everything that you can imagine)
The door key pad is awesome! One of the best features.
Tons of room in the cab, I think it's the largest cab comparing all brands ( if not now, it was when I bought mine)
The 3.5L does have timing chain issues... costs about $3k to repair and figure on doing it every 100-150k
I really like my truck. If I was in the market again, I would definitely drive the F150 with the 2.7L , if you are anticipating towing less than 4500lbs, I would go that route.... they are a super solid engine (read STOUT) and they have been proven reliable...I have driven many and can't tell the difference between them unloaded.

All of that said, I just put time on a newer Titan on Friday and I would also e worth a test drive IMO.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

For the last decade i've been putting 50k miles a year on new (swapped out at 75k) company F150s. I purchased my '16 in 2018 when it hit 75k and drove a 2018 for work until this past January. Both were 3.5 ecoboost crew cabs with 6.5

They are a good option for power, space, mileage, etc. I will say that the 10 speed in the '18 was more "chattery" and was searching for the right gear more frequently than my '16 with a 6 speed.

Never more than an oil change and new tires in either. In the half dozen or so F150's i've had since 2010 the most extensive maint in can recall is having the alignment done.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2016 Ford F-150 xlt super crew with 6.5 ft bed. 86k only have changed oil and put new tires on it. I love the 36 gal tank for long trips. The room and storage in the cab is great. I get 18mpg. Pulling boats and trailers I’ve been getting 13-14 mpg. The key pad is great for hunting season and not having to keep the keys on me all the time. I think it’s comfortable to drive and handles great. My only complaint is the light rear end. It kicks out on wash board roads and larger bumps in the road. The first few times it happened it made me nervous but now I’m used to it. Other then that it’s a great truck to have.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2016 F150 XLT with a 6.5 bed and the echo boost. I get close to 20 mpg on the highway. I realy haven't towed anything, but I enjoy the ride.

My son has a 2012 with the V6 echo boost and towed a 9000 lb trailer from the west coast to Texas, then to Colorado, and then across the country to Maryland. Only issue is watching the transmission temps, but the tow mode seems to keep it in check. He said there were a few hills he had to stop on to let the trans cool a bit. The V6 turbo has the power.

amassi

WKR
18 f150
6.5'
3.5 ecoboost
3.73s and a ten speed.
My favorite truck so far, great mileage fun to drive
Tows like a bat out of hell, pass cars going up Donner summit towing a #7500 boat
This is my fourth EcoBoost f150. I'm very happy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kda082

WKR
Is the 5.0 with 10 speed that far under it in mpg? Seems like it is low 20s. I’ve driven them all including the 2.7 which is also impressive.

OP
TradLife406
For the last decade i've been putting 50k miles a year on new (swapped out at 75k) company F150s. I purchased my '16 in 2018 when it hit 75k and drove a 2018 for work until this past January. Both were 3.5 ecoboost crew cabs with 6.5

They are a good option for power, space, mileage, etc. I will say that the 10 speed in the '18 was more "chattery" and was searching for the right gear more frequently than my '16 with a 6 speed.

Never more than an oil change and new tires in either. In the half dozen or so F150's i've had since 2010 the most extensive maint in can recall is having the alignment done.
That's awesome

OP
TradLife406
‘16 SCREW 3.5L here. Just hit 75k. No issues at all, great vehicle. 18-19 mpg daily driver with 3” leveling coilover kit and rear block. 285x75xR17 Nitto Ridge Graps.

View attachment 205600
This is exactly what I'd like to do. A high level kit with some manly tires.

Why I'd like the better mpg so when I start killing it with off road goodness she'll still do decent in town.

i have one. ehh, love the truck, i have every bell and whistle imaginable. I am not a fan of the ecoboost for starts it gets terrible mileage. second there are times it runs like shit. If it is raining very hard or you are driving through semi deep water the air intakes suck up water and all kinds of shit goes wrong. i would love to have my old 5.4 back.

'17 2.7L screw with 3.55s here. Leveled with 33 mud tires I get 21mpg. Bone stock, it was 23.x.

I hsve 65k on it and I'm very happy with my truck, zero issues thus far. It does have occasionally have a weird cold start sound but ive read its common and no issue on the 2.7. The motor is very powerful and the turbos make it sometimes tough to drive in wet weather.

OP
TradLife406
So as far as the bed length goes. I've got a 6.5 on my Dodge now and hardly ever use my bed. Haul a deer in the fall maybe. Moving an appliance or a dump run here or there.

If I find a screaming deal on a 5.5 bed especially in a Lariat which I'd love to have, how much would I hate that little bed?

I've found a couple "long" beds but the options are very limited. I can find XLT's in that 18 year range with 40k miles with a long bed. But the only Lariats I can find in that range have short beds.

I probably don't "need" a Lariat, but they have the heated steering wheel. Which I want more than heated seats with my raynods.

Should having a bigger bed be a deal breaker?

ShakeDown

WKR
Man, if I could I’d swap for the 6.5 bed. If for nothing else I would like to be able to sleep in the back without lying diagonal.

Really hard to find. The shorty is much better for off road though.