Antlerless Hunts

Rooggvc

WKR
I understand this might not get much traction, because it may be viewed as me trying to get in on your coveted spot, or trying to overrun your state, etc.. But I figured I would still ask because this is the resource I turn to with questions like this.

I have been considering doing more antlerless hunts. (Mule Deer, Cow Elk, White Tail). I figure these hunts would be a good opportunity to fill the freezer, get my buddies and I together, and get more hunting opportunities for my kids. Have you guys found any states that you can consistantly participate in anterless hunts? In Utah I can draw Cow Elk every other year, and mule deer it's every few years. Is it worth looking into trespass fee hunts? What kind of opportunities exist back east for white tail deer? I would mainly like to rifle hunt.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I'm going to have to look into these every other year units in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
That is based of reviewing draw odds for some of the units in Utah not actually drawing every other year. So maybe I am way off base just looking at the draw odds?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
New rules in Missouri have a number of units with 4 OTC whitetail doe tags. SE MT you can basically buy 2 or 3 mule deer doe permits. You need to apply for the first one which is guaranteed but there is always surplus permits to buy.

Certain zones in WI have late holiday and anterless only hunts. NR tags are dirt cheap and a decent amount of public land.

I’m not big on antlerless deer hunting. But cow elk I’m more then willing to kill. Colorado is easy to get cow tags. Wyoming isn’t bad. Both states really reduce the price of youth cow tags.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Look into Illinois, usually a lot of leftover antlerless permits in many counties, could probably find some private ground to hunt if only shooting does. There are a couple late antlerless seasons in several countries as well.

sram9102

WKR
You can buy unlimited bonus antlerless tags in Indiana. 2 does per county for the most part.

Bluefish

WKR
Iowa has lots of leftover tags in the south East Section of the state. Literally 100’s per county. There are a couple options for antlerless running into January.

Rich M

WKR
I can buy a beef cow for less than a cow elk tag in most places.

Do understand the trips w friends and family part of it all.

Folks are adjusting their wants to be able to do stuff. They travel to hunt hogs and javelina, trips to chase couse deer, antlerless, etc.

GA allows 12 deer/yr. 10 does.
SC also has a high take, bucks and does.

NV HUNTER

WKR
To the OP question. Yes I build points on all anterless in nevada and Utah. My family enjoys the meat on all game animals, and I enjoy hunting! Cow elk has been every 3-5 in Utah in the southern units. But I never want to have a year without a tag in my pocket.

MJB

WKR
I can get a cow elk tag almost every year in NM or AZ......some are rifle hunts one is archery only.

Two tags are DIY, your hunting cows early October with bugles all around and can stalk them in the open while some satellite bull is strutting his stuff for cows that are already breed......the herd bulls are all worn out by then. They can barely keep there heads up.

Good luck lots of outfitters/landowner tags out there

def90

WKR
There are left over cow tags in Colorado all the time, the problem is most of them are private land only.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
You guys are awesome. I really appreciate all of the feedback. It gives me a lot to look into. Thank you.