Antique SxS Spend my $$

I love the idea of hunting with a cool piece of history and currently use a CZ Sharptail but would love to invest in something a bit richer in history and cooler. Love the idea of old American made guns, Ithaca, etc. If I was going to invest 2-3k what would I be looking at? I feel like they’re classic cars which I also know nothing about, please school me.

Attachments

• IMG_5293.jpeg
    IMG_5293.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 45

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of SxS guns. These are my favorite field guns. First is a Parker Del GrecoVH in 12 follwed by a Browning BSS grade 2, BSS standard and a Belgian guild gun in 16ga.

A Browning BSS is the toughest gun you'll ever own. A light 16ga is a joy to carry. A fancy Parker draws a lot of attention and feels special.

471633_287313008011281_1616572883_o_287313008011281.jpgjennascamerachrismas08030.jpg20200104_124106.jpgScreenshot_20231015-140646_Gallery.jpg

OP
Sierra Hunter
I have a bunch of SxS guns. These are my favorite field guns. First is a Parker Del GrecoVH in 12 follwed by a Browning BSS grade 2, BSS standard and a Belgian guild gun in 16ga.

A Browning BSS is the toughest gun you'll ever own. A light 16ga is a joy to carry. A fancy Parker draws a lot of attention and feels special.

View attachment 773477View attachment 773476View attachment 773478View attachment 773479
What are your thought on double triggers, do you find it difficult to buy ammo for the 16ga?

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I like LC Smith and Remington 1894. Parkers are cool but overrated. 3K can get any of these, but the Remington will be the most adorned for the $. Watch out for cut barrels and loose barrels at muzzle.

OP
Sierra Hunter
I like LC Smith and Remington 1894. Parkers are cool but overrated. 3K can get any of these, but the Remington will be the most adorned for the $. Watch out for cut barrels and loose barrels at muzzle.
What are common things to look out for and are there years that are better or to avoided?

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
LC Smith and Parker guys nerd out. There's lots of stuff on the net and serial number look ups, etc.

I used to have this kind of stuff on the tip of my tongue but I lost interest.

I wouldn't buy anything with a wood repair. This shows modern pressure shells were used more often than a drop.

Most barrels will be around 30" in that era. 28" may be OK...anything lower is probably chopped.

Marketeers of this era wanted guns to "hit hard" so a lot of them have fixed full chokes.

If there is a problem with the barrel solder, it will usually be present right at the muzzel. Sometimes the pieces is just slightly detached but once it goes the barrels are no longer regulated to hit same spot at 40 yards or whatever the manufacturer spec'd out.

Most early century guns shot low pressure shells too. RST is a prolific manufacturer. Remington makes a low pressure load I think its around 980 fps but hard to find.

I personally own/owned 4 guns:
- LC Smith "syracuse" hammer gun (had to resolder the barrels and the stock and barrels were chopped, impulse buy)
- LC Smith 1E field gun, still have it. Damascus barrels. Nice piece. It's listed on gunbroker
- Remington 1894 field grade. This was a cool gun, but it had one full cylinder and one "cyl" barrel and it had "ordinance" barrels
- Remington 1894 C grade. This is the mack daddy. Stars and Stripes damascus, upgraded engraving. These guns are sleepers because if it was an LC or Parker it would probably sell for $10,000.00 or more but they can be had for $3600-$4000 because they are not as popular. This gun is on gunbroker. It's cool because it has modern dimensions and modern chokes. I like to think whoever ordered it back in the day knew their stuff.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Are all classic guns doubles?
My understanding is all guns were single or double barrel until pumps came out.

The reason for a double was to get an extra shell but its like a double rifle. Hand made, more or less 2 guns on one stock really, and requires a lot of hand work. Almost all the Damascus barrels were forged by craftsman in Belgium. American ingenuity brought about the pumps and autos and eliminated the market for nice doubles.

I can't recall who decided to start stacking barrels on top of each other but boy did that take off.

All this stuff shifted not too long ago in the grand scheme.

It's fascinating. Enjoy the journey.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I love this video. It's cool even if you're not into old shotguns.

Old school firearms methodology.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Apologies I was referencing double triggers. I’ve never had one and they seem like a hassle.
My understanding is all guns were single or double barrel until pumps came out.

The reason for a double was to get an extra shell but its like a double rifle. Hand made, more or less 2 guns on one stock really, and requires a lot of hand work. Almost all the Damascus barrels were forged by craftsman in Belgium. American ingenuity brought about the pumps and autos and eliminated the market for nice doubles.

I can't recall who decided to start stacking barrels on top of each other but boy did that take off.

All this stuff shifted not too long ago in the grand scheme.

It's fascinating. Enjoy the journey

Mojave

WKR
If you have to shoot no-tox I would spend more and get a modern made in America gun from Tony Galazan.

The company is called Connecticut Shot Gun Manufacturing.

They also have tons of used SxS shotguns. I would fly out there and take a couple days and take look at one they have.

They made the reproduction Parkers and Remingtons.

They still make double side by side shotguns on a CNC machine and hand fit things.

If you can find a Ruger Gold label it will pound the hell out of you, but that would be ok. They only made 1000.

This is the RBL "round body launch". It is the only 100% American made side by side shotgun for under $5000

There will be a lot of older American shotguns of varying quality and vintage.

No one is making any side by side or over and under shotguns other than Galazan and KOlAR in America that I know of.

Kolar makes olympic type skeet and trap guns. They start at $15,000.

If you look on Gunbroker there are Winchester M21's and Parker Reproductions.

The most important thing other than you liking the way the gun looks is that it fits you.

If you are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa t needs to fit your dominant eye. This is regardless of what you have done your entire life.

If you are going to screw around with it, and not get super serious then it doesn't matter.

If you are going to use it for waterfowl, you are going to want a waterfowl model. it will be heavier and have much longer barrels.

If you are going to do both waterfowl and upland you want a mid weight gun.

Obviously if you are going to only hunt Chukars you probably need a 5 pound side by side that fits you well.

A lot of "it depends" answers.

I think Bass Pro in rancho Cuchamunga has a fine gun room still. maybe?

OP
Sierra Hunter
If you have to shoot no-tox I would spend more and get a modern made in America gun from Tony Galazan.

The company is called Connecticut Shot Gun Manufacturing.

They also have tons of used SxS shotguns. I would fly out there and take a couple days and take look at one they have.

They made the reproduction Parkers and Remingtons.

They still make double side by side shotguns on a CNC machine and hand fit things.

If you can find a Ruger Gold label it will pound the hell out of you, but that would be ok. They only made 1000.

This is the RBL "round body launch". It is the only 100% American made side by side shotgun for under $5000

There will be a lot of older American shotguns of varying quality and vintage.

No one is making any side by side or over and under shotguns other than Galazan and KOlAR in America that I know of.

Kolar makes olympic type skeet and trap guns. They start at $15,000.

If you look on Gunbroker there are Winchester M21's and Parker Reproductions.

The most important thing other than you liking the way the gun looks is that it fits you.

If you are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa t needs to fit your dominant eye. This is regardless of what you have done your entire life.

If you are going to screw around with it, and not get super serious then it doesn't matter.

If you are going to use it for waterfowl, you are going to want a waterfowl model. it will be heavier and have much longer barrels.

If you are going to do both waterfowl and upland you want a mid weight gun.

Obviously if you are going to only hunt Chukars you probably need a 5 pound side by side that fits you well.

A lot of "it depends" answers.

I think Bass Pro in rancho Cuchamunga has a fine gun room still. maybe?
Appreciate the insight, I’m largely an upland guy and that’s probably all I’d use it for. I’ll have to go by there, my in laws live next to bass-pro. I just haven’t been in a while after all the products started being catered towards a different crowd.