Anti hunting Hunters in Japan

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, We were in Japan a couple years ago and there was a report of a death by Bear attack near where we were staying....I had no idea they had so many Brown bears.

You guys think it’s a good idea to send our hunters over there? how many of them are afraid to hunt places that might have grizzlies here in the states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys think it’s a good idea to send our hunters over there? how many of them are afraid to hunt places that might have grizzlies here in the states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, without their 10mm pistols strapped to their chests, American wannabe "Wyatt Earp" sportsmen ain't gonna be hunting any Asiatic brown bears (lol) ......

I looked into a bow hunting options in Japan before my trip last year, thinking it would be pretty big activity given the Samurai use of bows and everything. I was surprised to learn that they do not allow bow hunting of animals and consider it an unethical way of hunting because, according to the Japanese, a gun is more efficient and less chance of wounding an animal. I was very disappointed to find that out
I mean, a gun is more efficient than a bow...

Dogone

FNG
I recently read an article by an American living in Japan. After the ordeal of getting a licence and a firearm he had a lot of hunting opportunities. I believe you could only use a shotgun for a year until allowed a rifle. He didn’t find it all that difficult.

slvrslngr

WKR
I recently read an article by an American living in Japan. After the ordeal of getting a licence and a firearm he had a lot of hunting opportunities. I believe you could only use a shotgun for a year until allowed a rifle. He didn’t find it all that difficult.
I believe it’s 10 years of owning a shotgun with no issues then you can apply for a rifle license.

Yes, lots of hoops to jump through but it is possible for a foreigner to get a firearms permit and hunting license in Japan. The first hoop is becoming a resident. Visitors are not allowed to even touch a firearm much less hunt. Bow hunting is strictly forbidden.

It’s very unlikely Japan will ever loosen its laws regarding visitors coming there to hunt. Which is a shame, the bird, boar and deer hunting opportunities are fantastic!