Antelope with a Muzzleloader

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
Colorado muzzleloader falls right in the rut. They're pretty distracted and I think a guy could do a few stalks and score on one. Actually saving points for that very thing myself.
I have hunted antelope before, but never during the rut. The stalking is the most fun for me, and I think it will be possible to get in a few stalks every day until I connect. Should I expect the bucks to be moving around a lot, or are they likely to be bunched up with the does?

WKR
I've stalked does during the rut and it works great. If you spook the does, the buck tends to sheep dog them into a group and works his butt off at stopping them. He remains on high alert for other bucks and if he suspects you were a buck, he'll come within 100 yards to investigate. If you can get within a few hundred yards of a buck actively tending a herd, he'll be constantly circling and watching to run off young bucks. Watch for your opportunity and move when he is chasing one off. I've hunted does twice with patched roundballs and succeeded each time due to rut distractions.

Had some buddies I was helping on a rifle hunt for does. They had 7 or 8 does in a group in a harvested wheat field. I had them do a stalk using a rise to help hide their approach. The buck heard them walking in the dry wheat stubble and came running over the hill to within 30 yards of them and then stood there staring at them. The NW part of the state had plenty of antelope 2 years ago when we hunted there last. I'd have no worries about busting a herd and I'd just get after them. There's always another group.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
I've stalked does during the rut and it works great. If you spook the does, the buck tends to sheep dog them into a group and works his butt off at stopping them. He remains on high alert for other bucks and if he suspects you were a buck, he'll come within 100 yards to investigate. If you can get within a few hundred yards of a buck actively tending a herd, he'll be constantly circling and watching to run off young bucks. Watch for your opportunity and move when he is chasing one off. I've hunted does twice with patched roundballs and succeeded each time due to rut distractions.

Had some buddies I was helping on a rifle hunt for does. They had 7 or 8 does in a group in a harvested wheat field. I had them do a stalk using a rise to help hide their approach. The buck heard them walking in the dry wheat stubble and came running over the hill to within 30 yards of them and then stood there staring at them. The NW part of the state had plenty of antelope 2 years ago when we hunted there last. I'd have no worries about busting a herd and I'd just get after them. There's always another group.
I appreciate you sharing your experiences and advice. I am really looking forward to having similar encounters. Antelope are such cool animals.Tipping over a buck with the muzzleloader would be gravy.

FLS

WKR
Antelope are pretty easy to kill. A big buck might weigh 100 pounds. The Aerolight will kill the snot out of one. If it shoots well out of your rifle I wouldn’t hesitate. Witnessed a couple of deer fall to them last year. They worked fine.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
Antelope are pretty easy to kill. A big buck might weigh 100 pounds. The Aerolight will kill the snot out of one. If it shoots well out of your rifle I wouldn’t hesitate. Witnessed a couple of deer fall to them last year. They worked fine.
I agree. I'm likely just being paranoid about the Aerolites. The rapid expansion could actually be beneficial on antelope. I do know that I do not trust them for elk, and I prefer something tougher for mule deer. I am just curious what other hunters have been using and having success with. There are a few projectiles out there I have never tried. I started out many years ago with patched balls out of a sidelock and progressed to lead conicals. When I finally gave in and started using in-lines with a faster twist, I loved the accuracy Powerbelts provided. Some less than ideal performance from them on game led me to the Thors, and they have performed wonderfully on mule deer and elk, but I have not found a load for them that is as accurate as the Powerbelts. On a small target like an antelope that likely will be at the far end of my range, I don't want that slight loss of accuracy to cause any problems.

FLS

WKR
Ive got a Thor load for CO. I shoot Barnes sabots here in SC. Ive got an old 700 ML that loves them. I shot Powerbelts for a while and they worked OK if I didn’t push them too fast. I agree on being hesitant to use on bigger game.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I agree. I'm likely just being paranoid about the Aerolites. The rapid expansion could actually be beneficial on antelope. I do know that I do not trust them for elk, and I prefer something tougher for mule deer. I am just curious what other hunters have been using and having success with. There are a few projectiles out there I have never tried. I started out many years ago with patched balls out of a sidelock and progressed to lead conicals. When I finally gave in and started using in-lines with a faster twist, I loved the accuracy Powerbelts provided. Some less than ideal performance from them on game led me to the Thors, and they have performed wonderfully on mule deer and elk, but I have not found a load for them that is as accurate as the Powerbelts. On a small target like an antelope that likely will be at the far end of my range, I don't want that slight loss of accuracy to cause any problems.
It was actually a muzzleloader antelope hunt that got me to switch away from using powerbelts all together. I’m from Idaho, so I was using the all lead version. I shot a buck at about 70 yards. Hit a little forward in the shoulder, the buck ran, blood running pretty good, and I honestly thought he’d fall over within seconds. Well he didn’t. I shot him with two hours of light left and so I was able to watch him till dark with no way to get close enough for another shot. He went back to feeding with his does. I could see the entry clear as day and he should have been dead right where I shot him with two broken shoulders, but my only guess is that the power belt just blew up. Other than limping a little he was hardly acting hurt. I looked for him for a week straight and never saw him or any sign of him dead anywhere. I’ve since switched to the no excuses 420gr. Great bullet. More accurate actually and it isn’t going to blow up. Had I been shooting it that day I know the antelope would have been dead right where I shot him.

I would not recommend powerbelts regardless of their accuracy, but if you do go with them, I recommend steering well away from the shoulder.

Just wanted to edit to add that prior to this event I had killed two mule deer and another antelope with the same powerbelts, and they all had worked flawlessly up to that point. All shots away from the shoulder.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I would not waste time with any type of decoy on public land. It very rarely works.

Before I had kids I spent a ton of time bow hunting antelope each year. The only thing that worked for me was to find antelope in a stalkable spot and keep on driving without slowing down at all. Once out of sight, figure out a way to stalk in for a shot. Do that about that about a hundred times and you should get a shot at a buck.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I will weigh in with encouragement.
Nebraska does not have the ML restrictions that you are faced with in CO, so I cannot speak to your sights and bullet needs. (Barnes sabots for me)

Spot and stalk antelope with a muzzle loader = one of my favorite hunts.
I save my NE antelope preference points for this very hunt.

Opportunity for a very satisfying hunt.
Hunt nearly all day during a season of limited hunting pressure.
Great time to hone your hunting skills trying to get into primitive weapon range of a formidable opponent.
As others have said, expect lots of blown stalks
but keep it up and this to could be you:
PXL_20211002_190332238 (1).jpg

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to hunt antelope with a 100+ year old muzzleloader using ball and patch this year. One tactic I haven't seen mentioned is to stalk them during the heat of the day. If they're unpressured, bucks will lay down in the shade of a cholla cactus (in New Mexico anyway - maybe different vegetation where you'll be). Stalk from behind beginning a long ways off and you should be able to get into range.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
I have received a lot of good advice in this thread, and I appreciate all of it. The area I will be hunting has some broken terrain and at least some tall grass and sagebrush to crawl around in, and I look forward to messing up several stalks during the season....I will actually be disappointed if my first stalk works out. I have never had an antelope hunt last more than two days and I want to spend some time amongst them. The Powerbelt debate may never be resolved and so I am going to go with the Thors, just so I don't have any lingering doubt. I will forego the decoys, but I kinda want to see how they react to flagging. I will post up at water holes in the mornings and evenings and spot and stalk during the days. Hopefully a rutting buck will slip up and offer me a chance. Success or no, I think I will enjoy the experience.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have received a lot of good advice in this thread, and I appreciate all of it. The area I will be hunting has some broken terrain and at least some tall grass and sagebrush to crawl around in, and I look forward to messing up several stalks during the season....I will actually be disappointed if my first stalk works out. I have never had an antelope hunt last more than two days and I want to spend some time amongst them. The Powerbelt debate may never be resolved and so I am going to go with the Thors, just so I don't have any lingering doubt. I will forego the decoys, but I kinda want to see how they react to flagging. I will post up at water holes in the mornings and evenings and spot and stalk during the days. Hopefully a rutting buck will slip up and offer me a chance. Success or no, I think I will enjoy the experience.
Good luck! I've killed a few with a muzzleloader and they've been some of my funnest hunts. Enjoy it!

I am a little late to the thread but I agree what has been said and don’t really have anything new to add.

All I have to say is good luck and make sure to update us after the hunt!

ToolMann

WKR
I'll be chasing them with a muzzleloader for the first time this year too. Cashed in my CO points (I'm a resident) last year for rifle buck. Remembered how much I loved eating antelope. Figured I could at least get a doe muzzy tag while building points back up. Should be fun!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Killed a few pronghorn with 223grain tipped powerbelt. They were shooting touching groups at 100 yards so I went with them and had no issues. I used terrain 90% of the time to stalk in, one time I did anticipate what a herd would do based on road hunters and set up to ambush them and they walked right down a game trial I had seen them on. Pronghorn do seem to be creatures of habit and rather territorial so play that to your advantage. Muzzy pronghorn is a ton of fun! Good luck!