Antelope with a Muzzleloader

Pinyon

FNG
Hello all. Long time hunter and lurker on this forum here, and I decided to finally post something. I drew an antelope buck tag this year after getting a little tired of waiting to accumulate points for another rifle tag. I will be hunting in the northwest corner of Colorado, and so will be using peep sights and loose powder. I am hoping some of you will be willing to share some of your experiences and recommendations regarding projectiles that have worked well for you, any special gear recommendations, and any strategies and techniques for getting close. With my old(er) eyes, I really shouldn't try to shoot more than 80-90 yards. I am really looking forward to the experience and I am all ears. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
Hmm... Maybe I can try being more specific. I understand that I will have to do some stalking and will be mindful of wind, cover, etc. I am hoping to hear of people's experience with items or techniques to aid in closing the distance. Are decoys effective and/or worthwhile? Are they safe to use on public land? Anybody have any luck with flagging? For close range opportunities, would setting up an ambush at water or funnel points be worth investigating? I am just looking to determine which tools to be most prepared to utilize to make the best use of time during the 9 day season.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
Sabots aren't legal in Colorado during the muzzleloader seasons. I am trying to decide between the 300 grain Thors or the 250 grain Powerbelt Aerolites I have on hand. My muzzleloader shoots the Powerbelts a little more accurately, but I have had experiences with them fragmenting a lot on mule deer. Antelope are somewhat smaller so the soft projectile might not make a lot of difference.

No way I’d shoot a powerbelt. Fury makes a sabotless option but what little testing I played a role in it didn’t work out promising. The thors might be ok but I don’t have any experience with them

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
No way I’d shoot a powerbelt. Fury makes a sabotless option but what little testing I played a role in it didn’t work out promising. The thors might be ok but I don’t have any experience with them
Yeah... I almost wish Powebelts did not shoot so well out of my rifle because I haven't been able to get myself to completely discount them. I know of a lot of folks that swear by them, even for elk, but it seems like there are at least as many who have had poor terminal performance using them. I have shot two mule deer with them, and both deer died very quickly, but penetration was not great on either and I was not able to recover anything but several small chunks of lead from the animals. The Thor's have always worked well for me on game, and the accuracy is not bad... Just not as tight as the Powerbelts. I am leaning toward the Thor's.

Yeah... I almost wish Powebelts did not shoot so well out of my rifle because I haven't been able to get myself to completely discount them. I know of a lot of folks that swear by them, even for elk, but it seems like there are at least as many who have had poor terminal performance using them. I have shot two mule deer with them, and both deer died very quickly, but penetration was not great on either and I was not able to recover anything but several small chunks of lead from the animals. The Thor's have always worked well for me on game, and the accuracy is not bad... Just not as tight as the Powerbelts. I am leaning toward the Thor's.
I’ve yet to see anyone say the powerbelts don’t shoot well. I’ll give them that. But there’s horror story after horror story about them. Much better options. Not having a sabot and I’m guessing you shoot a 50 cal really shortens what’s available.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
I’ve yet to see anyone say the powerbelts don’t shoot well. I’ll give them that. But there’s horror story after horror story about them. Much better options. Not having a sabot and I’m guessing you shoot a 50 cal really shortens what’s available.
Yup. I'm curious about the sabot-less Fury brand you mentioned. I hope they become a viable option.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
What's your twist rate?

I took my first antelope with a ML, a Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50cal cap, in ID last year. I used Hornady Great Plains 385gr. I am 3MOA or less at 100yds, which is my range for the gun.

My tactics were using the terrain, anticipating the movement of the antelope, and being patient. I had a Montana decoy I could have used, but felt it wouldn't work in the situation I was in. I don't think I'd ever wear one of the be the decoy hats.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
I can't believe I had never heard of the decoy hat.... I look goofy enough without adding that accessory. I suppose it may help, but I don't think giggling at myself would help my shooting....

Congrats on the antelope! I do have a Hawken style .54 cal that I have considered taking along, but it is a heavy beast and I anticipate it being problematic with all the crawling around I anticipate doing. I have an Accura V2 .50 that I plan to use and it has a 1:28 twist. I am hoping to find some bucks in the more broken, vegetation rich terrain in the area so I can approach them like it sounds like you did. I have never used decoys (or hats) and have never tried flagging. I am just curious if either would enhance my chances. Sitting water in a blind does not sound appealing to me, but I would consider it if necessary.

Rich M

WKR
I would just scout a couple days before hand and go sit where they wanna be. Sit behind a bush and wait em out.

Powerbrlt will be fine. Practice to 150 yards if you can.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I can't believe I had never heard of the decoy hat.... I look goofy enough without adding that accessory. I suppose it may help, but I don't think giggling at myself would help my shooting....

Congrats on the antelope! I do have a Hawken style .54 cal that I have considered taking along, but it is a heavy beast and I anticipate it being problematic with all the crawling around I anticipate doing. I have an Accura V2 .50 that I plan to use and it has a 1:28 twist. I am hoping to find some bucks in the more broken, vegetation rich terrain in the area so I can approach them like it sounds like you did. I have never used decoys (or hats) and have never tried flagging. I am just curious if either would enhance my chances. Sitting water in a blind does not sound appealing to me, but I would consider it if necessary.
I plan on hunting the muzzy whitetail season this year with my TC Hawken,,,and yes they are heavy.
But cool. Would be really cool to get a pronghorn with one.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
I would just scout a couple days before hand and go sit where they wanna be. Sit behind a bush and wait em out.

Powerbrlt will be fine. Practice to 150 yards if you can.
That has merit. I like a simple approach. I will practice as far out as my eyes will allow. 150 would be awesome for me.

jayhawk

WKR
Antelope aren't very tough critters compared to a deer or elk. If a powerbelt shoots well out of your muzzleloader then that's what I'd go with.

They tend to hang out close to water. If there's a watering hole or spring on the property I'd start looking there.

Reactions: FLS

WKR
Colorado muzzleloader falls right in the rut. They're pretty distracted and I think a guy could do a few stalks and score on one. Actually saving points for that very thing myself.

OP
Pinyon

Pinyon

FNG
Antelope aren't very tough critters compared to a deer or elk. If a powerbelt shoots well out of your muzzleloader then that's what I'd go with.

They tend to hang out close to water. If there's a watering hole or spring on the property I'd start looking there.
That's what I was thinking about those projectiles, but.that lingering doubt doesn't help my confidence. I do plan to look for water.