Antelope Recipes

TaperPin

WKR
The only way I’ll eat an antelope steak is soaked in buttermilk then chicken fried.

Generally the whole thing is made into jerky and given away to friends. Good jerky tastes the same as any other jerky, except when you burp. Lol

crowlja

FNG
Pretty much cook it like any steak or hamburger. Meatloaf as well. It's pretty dang good anyway I've cooked it. And my wife prefers antelope over elk.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
However I cook it, I make sure its not cooked over medium. Medium rare is best. Always bring to room temp first. Usually just salt. I often make a nice sauce also (such as Steak Diane).

gringo76

FNG
For steaks I make a marinade of worseterchire sauce, soy sauce, a shot of whiskey, and some minced garlic and let soak for at least an hour and grill up. And pepper upon pulling from the grill. Goes great with steamed vegetables.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I had my first pronghorn steak in Casper in September.

We cut the backstraps into 6" sections, oiled them and put this stuff on it and cooked them to be seared on the outside and rare on the inside and it was the best wild steak I've had.

AshleyWY

FNG
I hope this isn't considered hijacking your thread, primeme, but just out of curiosity: Does anyone here add any fat to their antelope meat if they intend to grind the meat to make sausage? Or is the preference here to simply add seasonings instead? (Or maybe a mixture of both?) I am looking forward to my first antelope hunt in October and obviously hoping to be successful, but I am unsure how I intend to prepare the meat for eating and have heard that making breakfast sausage is one way some hunters enjoy their antelope. Your thoughts?

MT_Fin

WKR
I hope this isn't considered hijacking your thread, primeme, but just out of curiosity: Does anyone here add any fat to their antelope meat if they intend to grind the meat to make sausage? Or is the preference here to simply add seasonings instead? (Or maybe a mixture of both?) I am looking forward to my first antelope hunt in October and obviously hoping to be successful, but I am unsure how I intend to prepare the meat for eating and have heard that making breakfast sausage is one way some hunters enjoy their antelope. Your thoughts?
Short answer to your question for me is…no. The longer, unsolicited answer is that well cared for antelope is the best game meat IMO, so I butcher it carefully to not leave much for the grind pile and it would be a tragedy to turn it into sausage. The small amount of grind gets made into a burger with salt and pepper or something else. Again, that’s just me though and people are free to enjoy it as they please.

AshleyWY

FNG
Short answer to your question for me is…no. The longer, unsolicited answer is that well cared for antelope is the best game meat IMO, so I butcher it carefully to not leave much for the grind pile and it would be a tragedy to turn it into sausage. The small amount of grind gets made into a burger with salt and pepper or something else. Again, that’s just me though and people are free to enjoy it as they please.
MT_Fin, thanks for your response. It seems that many people on these forums feel the same way you do about antelope meat, which is not what I've typically heard from hunters in the past that I've known personally. I think I'll go with what you folks suggest here on the forums. If it turns out that for some reason I am not a fan of the taste of the meat, I assume I could always grind it later. I'm hoping the key is to get a good shot on an animal that is not running (or is not pumping adrenaline through its system), getting the hide off the animal ASAP, cooling the meat down promptly, and then caring for the meat appropriately and cooking it with a little skill and appropriate seasonings/marinades. Thanks again for your reponse!

MT_Fin

WKR
MT_Fin, thanks for your response. It seems that many people on these forums feel the same way you do about antelope meat, which is not what I've typically heard from hunters in the past that I've known personally. I think I'll go with what you folks suggest here on the forums. If it turns out that for some reason I am not a fan of the taste of the meat, I assume I could always grind it later. I'm hoping the key is to get a good shot on an animal that is not running (or is not pumping adrenaline through its system), getting the hide off the animal ASAP, cooling the meat down promptly, and then caring for the meat appropriately and cooking it with a little skill and appropriate seasonings/marinades. Thanks again for your reponse!
Yup, you have have the right idea. Most people I know that dislike antelope are also the ones who poorly care for the meat. Cool it down, keep it clean, don’t overcook, and enjoy. And yes, you can grind it at any point if you end up not really liking it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The only way I’ll eat an antelope steak is soaked in buttermilk then chicken fried.

Generally the whole thing is made into jerky and given away to friends. Good jerky tastes the same as any other jerky, except when you burp. Lol
We need a dislike emoji for this bullshit! 😂

My whole family are a bunch of antelope snobs. Whenever given the choice of elk, antelope or MD, they always choose antelope.