Another Sleeping Bag decision...

bkondeff

FNG
First let me say I am excited to find this site. Doubt I am as hard core as many of you, but I find myself trekking farther and farther to find deer and elk in my home state of Idaho and always looking at better and lighter gear to help my 45 year old body along the way.

So I have suffered through too many 20 degree nights freezing in my North Face Cats Meow. I don't recommend this bag for under 35 degrees.

Looking at quality 10-20 deg down bags. Seriously considered WM, Marmot, Montbell, and Mtn Hardware. Kind of down to the Montbell UL SS#1 adn the Mtn Hardware Phantom 15. I understand the Montbell is the most comfy, but it is a little heavy compared to it's $400 competitors. I like the science, but would also like the option to move the down up or under depending on temp, which doesn't look like and option with the baffling and spiral shape. I can find this bag new, shipped OTD for $315. The Mtn Hardware has zero bad reviews, seems to be a good fit for a medium sized guy like me at 5'10 190. It is also .4lbs lighter in the same configuration with the same temp rating. I can get this for $319 shipped OTD new.

I have seen nothing but good reports on the Montbell here, does anyone have an opinion or feedback on this Mtn Hardware bag?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I hear your pain with the North Face! I have used a montbell, WM and currently use a Marmot Helium membrane. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the brands listed.... What part of Idaho?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have a Coleman exponent 20 degree bag 600 fill for $85 I was hot in my boxers in below freezing weather. (around 30) It weights around 2.5lbs I'm pretty happy with it but if i sleep in boxers I want a liner next time cause I felt stuck to the bag.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
You should not discount syn bags, I have a kifaru 20* bag that is awesome. Now I haven't fully tested it out yet but Aron Snyder highly re cv ommends this bag. It will save you money over the down, weighs 2lbs and is priced under $300 click on their sponsor banner anf take a look.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can tell you if i had to do it all again. I would get a woobie, and 20* slick bag.

If i was going down i would go with WM and only WM. Marmot and montbell are nice too but after owning a marmot and playing with the WM you can just see a difference in quality.

ken

FNG
Lawnboi has got a pretty good suggestion right there. Just be sure to get the Wide Slick if your planning on putting the Woobie in the bag.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Unless your hunting in really wet conditions day after day, I don't see any advantages with going synthetic. I hunt in a really wet place and have never had a problem with a quality down bag. Aron might be able to shed more light on the subject! But down is just so Compressible and warm.

dotman

WKR
Unless your hunting in really wet conditions day after day, I don't see any advantages with going synthetic. I hunt in a really wet place and have never had a problem with a quality down bag. Aron might be able to shed more light on the subject! But down is just so Compressible and warm.

2 advantages 1) price diff 2) compresses down close to a down bag of similar temp with an actual true temp rating.

Now i'm only talking kifaru. When it comes to kifaru throw out your knowlegde on old stlye syn bags which are more common.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Dotman, this is what I found in a quick search.

Slick 20, 296.00
Marmot Helium 15, 309.00

Price is really not a factor. I do think the slick bag is sweet. To each there own:)

dotman

WKR
Yeah but is that with the dwr protection and the piece of mind if it gets wet? :)

I have to say the slick bag is the only syn bag I would compare to a quality down bag. I was also thinking when compared to a WM.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have used a Montbell with no dwr and been fine. I use these with a tarp and had zero problems keeping them dry. Just don't think the slick bag would keep me as warm as a good down bag. I have been down to 10 degrees in my helium with no problems. I don't think I could do that in the slick bag.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a Mountain Hardwear Spectre 20 degree. IMO it wasn't a true temp rating. I would say it was more of a 30-35 degree bag, though I am a cold sleeper.

I now have a Western Mountaineering Antelope. I dont believe there is anywhere to upgrade to from WM.

The Slick Bag has worked well for me. I have found the temp rating true, it compresses well, and so far it has held up well. Because of this my down bags have been collecting a bit of dust.
If you want to stay with down my preferences would be WM and Montbell, although there are a few other good ones out there as well.

OP
B

bkondeff

FNG
Still thinking...

I live near Rizzy is SW Idaho. Love it here.

These other brands like WM and Feathered friends certainly seem top of the line and I do keep looking for that "deal", but to date just can't justify the premium cost. I really like the Marmot Plasma also, but again can't find any of these for under $400, and it's hard to pay an extra $100, when that could buy me a nice new Thermarest Neoair and save me another 8oz over my current Big Agnes pad.

I will look more into that Slik bag, but the more I read backpacker websites there seem to be no realistic reasons to avoid down over synthetic. I doubt that there is a good reason to choose the heavier, less breathable gore type options like Marmot's Membraine if you take care of it.

Of course after reading 20 hours worth of reviews you releaze every single product has advantages and disadvantages and maybe I just need to throw a dart at the "compare products" spreadsheet and move on.....

Rizzy

WKR
I always felt down bags hold the heat better and are more "cozy". The slick doesn't feel like other synthetic bags to me it's made out of Climashield, and seems to really drape like down does. It's unique, when I first got it I didn't think it would be lofty enough to keep me warm.
If you want to see a Slick bag in person drop by some time

OP
B

bkondeff

FNG
So I looked into the Slik. I'm intrigued, especially after reading a long post about a doc who was on an arduous 10 day Dall hunt with it and said he got into fully clothed and wet each night, slept warm, and woke up dry... Seems crazy.

What I didn't find on the kifaru site is the weight of the 20deg reg sized bag? The down competitors I'm looking at are right at 2lbs. I wouldn't want to go much higher than about 2.25 or so.

cmeier117

WKR
So I looked into the Slik. I'm intrigued, especially after reading a long post about a doc who was on an arduous 10 day Dall hunt with it and said he got into fully clothed and wet each night, slept warm, and woke up dry... Seems crazy.

What I didn't find on the kifaru site is the weight of the 20deg reg sized bag? The down competitors I'm looking at are right at 2lbs. I wouldn't want to go much higher than about 2.25 or so.

Go here https://kifaru.net/slickbag.html# and click on Standard cut specs. The 20 degree standard is 2 lbs.