Another MTN Bike Question

4rcgoat

WKR
I ride a 29 Rockhopper. Bikes have come a looong way.
Yes they have!! I took about a 20 year hiatus from the sport,last bike was a 2000 schwinn homegrown. Just picked up a '19 Rocky Mountain altitude, long squishy suspension, good disc brakes,.....no more front derailleur! It's a whole different world.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
The bike is an aluminum frame with all stock components in good shape. I ended up buying it for $1,200 and he included a pump for the shocks. I rode it Wednesday night and everything seemed to be good.

Going to have it tuned by my local bike shop this weekend just to make sure everything is dialed in.

View attachment 507557

View attachment 507558
Sweet bike Justin! I hope that rides to trailheads better than a girls bike!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
[mention]Justin Crossley [/mention] this is awesome news! That is a solid bike at a very good price. We should get together for a ride this season!

Have fun man.

One caution on a used aluminum bike is to make sure your local shop inspects the frame for integrity. Aluminum frames can crack in crashes. They will ride like they are unaffected until sudden catastrophic failure.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
[mention]Justin Crossley [/mention] this is awesome news! That is a solid bike at a very good price. We should get together for a ride this season!

Have fun man.

One caution on a used aluminum bike is to make sure your local shop inspects the frame for integrity. Aluminum frames can crack in crashes. They will ride like they are unaffected until sudden catastrophic failure.
Let's do it Matt!

And great advice. I have it at the shop now getting a full tune, new chain, new derailer, and new cassette.

Justin, count me as another who thinks you scored a good deal. The market is starting to get pretty good again. Anyone who was remotely interested in bicycling bought one when covid hit. New bike inventories are strong again. Covid bikes are hitting the market, and as a consequence it's becoming a buyers market again. I am 60YOA and have had 8 major joint surgeries. I don't want to crash. I ain't tough enough to shake it off anymore.

4rcgoat

WKR
Lots of great deals on used bikes right now depending on your needs. This bike was 4k in 2018. Just picked it up for $1400.

Attachments

• 20230115_162541.jpg
    20230115_162541.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 16
Is a 29er the best option for all around use,been out of it for a long time.
That's certainly subjective. A 29er is where I landed in a hardtail. The larger wheels/tires roll over obstructions so much better than the 26" bikes I had always had previously. I haven't tried 27.5, but I can say with confidence that for my riding style, it would bring no advantage to the table.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Is a 29er the best option for all around use,been out of it for a long time.

It really depends on a lot of things: frame geometry, rider size, trail type, etc.

27.5s are easier to negotiate in tight, technical terrain. They are easier to get going and accelerate. They are easier for small/medium sized riders.

29ers have more momentum and ride over choppy terrain easier with the bigger hoops. They are a good match for medium/large riders

I get along with both, but went with a 27.5 full suspension.

6t4nova

WKR
Congrats, that’s not a bad price for that bike. I’m sure you will enjoy it. If your doing any downhill/technical rides, I suggest getting some knee and elbow pads. Also some good chamois will make the ride much more enjoyable at the end of the day.

If your ever looking to upgrade components, pinkbike classifieds is a good place to look. Strava app is also good for tracking your miles and elevation.

632b0d57b97c513393ebcbd7676578d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk