Another MTN Bike Question

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at a used 2016 size large Specialized Camber Comp with 29” wheels. It's in good shape, and the guy is asking $1,400 OBO.

Does that seem like a good deal?

Phaseolus

WKR
First question: is it carbon framed or aluminum? If it’s aluminum you’d have a bargaining chip to get a lower price, those bikes new were in the $2700 range. I’ll assume it has one chain ring up that’s a plus. You should look to see what level componenets the shifters, deraileur, brakes, and front fork are, those component's could have been swapped out for lessor quality. If it is a stock bike that probably a good price range, especially if it’s carbon framed.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The bike is an aluminum frame with all stock components in good shape. I ended up buying it for $1,200 and he included a pump for the shocks. I rode it Wednesday night and everything seemed to be good.

Going to have it tuned by my local bike shop this weekend just to make sure everything is dialed in.

received_1852402865095445.jpeg

received_721253669367220.jpeg

Last edited:
Have fun, it's almost as addictive as hunting..... Seems like a good deal for a full suspension big name bike. Id definitely drop the nose of the saddle (hopefully your bike shop will help with setup) Your parts down under will appreciate it. Unfortunately I am nursing a couple of broken ribs from my last ride, so be careful and make sure you helmet and glove up at a minimum and get some bike specific shorts (with a chamois). It's been my number one fitness activity for the last 20 years along with running.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@sodaksooner thanks for the tips!

I definitely already crashed pretty good the other night jumping a small gap. I guess I'm not 20 anymore... who knew!

My son crashed pretty hard not long after that and we had to call it a night. Lots of fun!

@sodaksooner thanks for the tips!

I definitely already crashed pretty good the other night jumping a small gap. I guess I'm not 20 anymore... who knew!

My son crashed pretty hard not long after that and we had to call it a night. Lots of fun!
Just wait till you are 55 :) Let me know if you have questions. I am no expert but have been around for a while! I bruised ribs badly a couple of years ago on a gap jump. Recent injury was just dumb luck. Following a guy down a rocky chute probably going too fast. He kicked up a rock and I couldn't avoid it and went down pretty hard. Still rode another mile....lol. Not smart for sure. Have fun. I couldn't get my son into it. He couldn't keep up with me (I am not fast...) and he's a great athlete.

The bike is an aluminum frame with all stock components in good shape. I ended up buying it for $1,200 and he included a pump for the shocks. I rode it Wednesday night and everything seemed to be good.

Going to have it tuned by my local bike shop this weekend just to make sure everything is dialed in.

View attachment 507557

View attachment 507558
Nice!!!

Looks Like a nice bike! I have a cheaper hardrock 29er and I love it, I have always had specialized bikes, I have had good luck with them over the years… sure gain appreciation for getting around on a bike vs on foot in some places, I really should utilize mine more.

I got mine for summer steelhead fishing, but can sure cover ground hunting on a bike… I’m always paranoid about riding by sign I would have seen on foot, haha… I need to get over that

Yes, Grand Mesa to Palisade where I live. 32 miles, 2000’ up, 6000’ down.
It's on my list too. One of our trailbosses here is from CO and he rode it last year. He said there are definitely a few spots he had to walk and he's a good rider...

FWIW, I got an easy 8.5 mile ride in this weekend with only moderate discomfort.

Phaseolus

WKR
It's on my list too. One of our trailbosses here is from CO and he rode it last year. He said there are definitely a few spots he had to walk and he's a good rider...

FWIW, I got an easy 8.5 mile ride in this weekend with only moderate discomfort.
Give me a shout when you want to ride it. I live two miles from the bottom trailhead. I pretty much only ride the bottom 17 miles these days. The top 12 is flat and winds through meadows, Shirttail point is only 3 miles but once you get past the switchbacks in my pictures it’s not real fun. The ‘meat’ of the ride is the bottom 17.

Starting to see some major sales now with bike manufacturers. Specialized is cutting their prices finally after the covid bike market craziness. Hopefully components start coming down too! It’s an addicting activity for sure, I got bit by the bug last year.

Give me a shout when you want to ride it. I live two miles from the bottom trailhead. I pretty much only ride the bottom 17 miles these days. The top 12 is flat and winds through meadows, Shirttail point is only 3 miles but once you get past the switchbacks in my pictures it’s not real fun. The ‘meat’ of the ride is the bottom 17.
Sounds like a plan. Ive heard the top was just like you stated...

thanks!