Another Gear List Post CO 1st Rifle

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I know it can be a bit redundant to read gear list posts but I do like reading people's opinions on different individual items in a pack. I am a lifetime (40 years old) whitetail hunter in TX. This is my second trip for elk in CO, the first being 1st rifle last October in Unit 79. It was successful for me and my hunting buddy as we had two legal bull elk within 100 yards of us on day 3. We learned a lot about the weather there and I was personally under prepared for the cold.

This season, we are hunting Unit 18. We scouted in July for a couple days and will scout for 2 days before our hunt and hike in the day before opening day. We are planning for 6 days in the woods. I am hoping to pack for 10 degrees up to 60/70 degree days. I will carry in a 3L bladder of water. Once we set up camp, I will fill the 2nd large bladder with additional water if we are not too close to a water source to reduce trips.

The main brands I am wearing/carrying are First Lite (had a pro discount), Outdoor Research, Peak Refuel, Mystery Ranch, FHF, havalon.

The main things I changed/upgraded year to year:
-Rab Neurino 20 degree bag (can't find it) to a feathered friends quilt,
-upgraded from klymit pad to thermarest
-upgraded binos from Vortex 10x42 crossfire to Swaro EL 12x50
-added FL furnace thermal bottoms
-added inflatable light for camp
-added anker solar panel
-added steripen adv
-added hot hands
-added BTF stool
-changed OR Foundation 1/4 zip top to FL wick hoody
-changed klamath hoody to klamath 1/4 zip hoody (hood was in the way a lot)

Appreciate any tips or thoughts. Also, completely open to anyone's questions. I'll probably add some thoughts on some gear in the comments so that this first post doesn't get cluttered.

Attachments

• Gear List Elk 2022_9.26.22.png
    Gear List Elk 2022_9.26.22.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a good list. I hunted 18 in 2018. Freak weather for that time of year. -6 at the trailhead the morning of the day I killed my bull. Was around 10-15 as a high that day.

My suggestion would be to take more clothes with you to keep in your vehicle in case you need more layers.

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a good list. I hunted 18 in 2018. Freak weather for that time of year. -6 at the trailhead the morning of the day I killed my bull. Was around 10-15 as a high that day.

My suggestion would be to take more clothes with you to keep in your vehicle in case you need more layers.
That is something that I learned from last season. Most of the things I felt like I wanted to upgrade, I couldn't find anywhere local. Every minute I was freezing, I was thinking about some item of clothing that was hanging in my closet that would be nice as heck to have in my truck to go grab. So, this season, I am bringing a lot more than what's on my list to leave in there just in case.

One item I am going back and forth on is some more durable cold weather/goretex type of gloves like the black diamond guides. I know my glassing mittens are warm but not durable as the outter layer is extremely thin.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im in the same boat as you, except I never saw an elk. Hunted Elk for the first time during 1st Rifle last year in 16/17 and that early storm definitely threw a wrench in my plans and made me realize I was under prepared as I almost got frostbite in my toes.

Knock on wood this year is looking a little warmer and I am going to 62 for 1st rifle. Bringing a few more layers, better gloves, insulated boots, hand and feet warmers, a hot tent and stove. Good luck out there!

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Im in the same boat as you, except I never saw an elk. Hunted Elk for the first time during 1st Rifle last year in 16/17 and that early storm definitely threw a wrench in my plans and made me realize I was under prepared as I almost got frostbite in my toes.

Knock on wood this year is looking a little warmer and I am going to 62 for 1st rifle. Bringing a few more layers, better gloves, insulated boots, hand and feet warmers, a hot tent and stove. Good luck out there!
I actually did get frost bite on my left toe. It showed me I didn’t properly prep my boots. That or the waterproofing just worked itself off. I’m not bringing insulated boots. But one thing I forgot to add was the outdoor research down booties I bought for the tent. They may even make it out on the mtn for the hunts if I’m stationary

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I actually did get frost bite on my left toe. It showed me I didn’t properly prep my boots. That or the waterproofing just worked itself off. I’m not bringing insulated boots. But one thing I forgot to add was the outdoor research down booties I bought for the tent. They may even make it out on the mtn for the hunts if I’m stationary
I feel ya on that. I hit the first stage, feet when numb like I had been sitting on the toilet for a few hours. Waterproofing on boots were definitely gone and the knee high snow and frozen creek I broke through didnt help. Couldnt feel my pinkie toe for a couple of days. Not a fun situation I got myself in when 4 miles in and alone lol.

sndmn11

WKR
What’s a more substantial puffy in your mind?
The Brooks has 3.5-4oz of 800 down. A kuiu super down pro has 5oz of 850 down. Stone glacier Grumman has 5.3oz of 850. SKRE looks like they have a jacket with a little more fill. A chamberlain has significantly more.

I'd be on the hunt for something above 5oz of down fill or more depending on if I want to add 10oz or not. Eliminating the wick let's you do that and take a very lofty puffy.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I remember your original list had a compass that someone recommended you remove.

I always carry mine, especially on a backpack hunt. I've had GPS units and phones freeze up or lose satellite connection during storms. I believe it to be an essential piece of equipment, even if redundant.

I remember your original list had a compass that someone recommended you remove.

I always carry mine, especially on a backpack hunt. I've had GPS units and phones freeze up or lose satellite connection during storms. I believe it to be an essential piece of equipment, even if redundant.

And small and easy to carry.

Scarier

FNG
The OR booties are awesome. They weigh close enough to nothing and pack down well enough that they're usually worth bringing just in case--maybe the the matching down cap and mittens, too.

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider

I agree on the compass. Marginal weight and size. Most of us are carrying something way more pointless in our pack that takes up more space/weight anyways.
The Brooks has 3.5-4oz of 800 down. A kuiu super down pro has 5oz of 850 down. Stone glacier Grumman has 5.3oz of 850. SKRE looks like they have a jacket with a little more fill. A chamberlain has significantly more.

I'd be on the hunt for something above 5oz of down fill or more depending on if I want to add 10oz or not. Eliminating the wick let's you do that and take a very lofty puffy.
after some thought and looking at my brooks, I agreed. I ordered a Rab neutrino pro (7.5 ounces) and stone glacier Grumman (5.3 ounces). There’s about a 10 ounce weight difference between the two and obviously the Rab will take up more space. Just going to try them on and see which I feel will fit better.

If I leave the wick hoody I’ll still wear a wick tee just cause it’s merino and more comfortable than the grid fleece of the Klamath on my skin.