Anchorage Overnight

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Have a DIY moose hunt coming up this fall. Flying into Ted Stevens, spending one night, then flying out of Merrill the next morning.
1. Hotels that are convenient for the transition between airports, that aren't dumps?
2. Restaurants to consider for a "last supper" before 10 days of freeze dried?

Understand I could google this but am more trusting of 1st hand intel

wyosteve

WKR
I've stayed at the Comfort Inn about a mile from the airport a few times. Been satisfied and they have shuttle service. Not cheap though.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
F street has the best seafood in town. As far as places to stay a lot of guides put their clients up at the lakefront hotel. The restaurant isn’t bad there either. The hotel will be filled with hunters. Kuiu everywhere 😂

Wingert

FNG
You may consider the Millennium - Lakefront hotel. Restaurants onsite and airport shuttle service. It sits on Lake Hood providing viewing of float planes landing / taking off.

Best of luck on your hunt / adventure.

2531usmc

WKR
If you are in Alaska for a hunt, you absolutely need to stay in the Millennium - Lakefront hotel. The ambiance and mounts scream “Alaska”

I've heard great things about Humpies but didn't eat there myself. Moose's Tooth and Bear Paw were both great though.

Wanted to try 49th State and the place looked awesome, but there was a loooong wait when we stopped there.

Humpies and 49th State both have places in the airport you can eat at. I enjoy both, but expect fried food and burgers.

I will never understand the Moose’s Tooth obsession. It’s the same pizza you can get in any town anywhere in the country. They must’ve hired the same marketing person as the halibut charters in Homer.

I’d stay at the Lakefront. Kick back on the porch with a big ass beer and get buzzed by the Beavers landing on the lake. In the rare event that Denali is out, get a cab to 49th State and have a meal on the top porch.

Edit: I didn’t see you’re headed to Merril Field. A lot of people from my office that need to stay in town stay at the Sheraton and say it’s nice. That will put you walking distance to anything downtown and a couple blocks from Merril. Expect a lot of homeless people.

Last edited:
Humpies and 49th State both have places in the airport you can eat at. I enjoy both, but expect fried food and burgers.

I will never understand the Moose’s Tooth obsession. It’s the same pizza you can get in any town anywhere in the country.

Agreed. Mere pub fare.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
When on our Alaska vacation at the end of the covid mess. My wife, two sons and I hit 17 breweries all over Alaska. We also put almost 1,500 miles on the rental car over 10 days. Lodging is very expensive in Alaska.
Making plans to get back for vacation and some fishing from Adak Island.

IBen

WKR
Have a DIY moose hunt coming up this fall. Flying into Ted Stevens, spending one night, then flying out of Merrill the next morning.
1. Hotels that are convenient for the transition between airports, that aren't dumps?
2. Restaurants to consider for a "last supper" before 10 days of freeze dried?

Understand I could google this but am more trusting of 1st hand intel
Rice garden inn my man, the best

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Called the Lakefront - Millenium place about a room. My procrastination has screwed once again. They're booked for the night I need. Will try some of the other's suggested. Thanks for the input so far.

IBen

WKR
Called the Lakefront - Millenium place about a room. My procrastination has screwed once again. They're booked for the night I need. Will try some of the other's suggested. Thanks for the input so far.
Just book the dump next to merril you wont find a good a place this late

Just book the dump next to merril you wont find a good a place this late

You're probably not wrong about that, although the last time I was down in Anchorage, it was deader than a doornail down there. Like a ghost town, but that's a good thing.