An etiquette question

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt grouse during archery elk almost every year. I just pick areas where I think there’s not too many elk and if I see an archery hunter I hike the opposite direction. If it’s public then that’s just part of it. That said, my best grouse spot is near a public shooting range so I’m not usually bothering anyone if I shoot.

rayfrugg

FNG
Arizona has a hunt every week, may find one weekend in the fall without a draw hunt going on. Most hunting is on public land. Will also have hikers, target shooters, fishermen in areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
When someone has to ask if they are being an ahole. . . of course they are.

With an entire lake you have to fish next to me? An entire expanse of sagebrush and you need to look for antelope near me? A nice relaxing trailhead and you need to sight your rifle in here?

Don’t be a dick and people won’t treat you like one.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
When someone has to ask if they are being an ahole. . . of course they are.

With an entire lake you have to fish next to me? An entire expanse of sagebrush and you need to look for antelope near me? A nice relaxing trailhead and you need to sight your rifle in here?

Don’t be a dick and people won’t treat you like one.
I’m not talking about barging in and invading someone’s area, the premise was “you can’t shoot a shotgun during elk season because it might effect my elk hunt by making them quiet and you should find some other time to hunt grouse that’s not during my elk season”

This also wasn’t me grouse hunting, it was someone commenting on my buddies picture of him grouse hunting during elk season

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not talking about barging in and invading someone’s area, the premise was “you can’t shoot a shotgun during elk season because it might effect my elk hunt by making them quiet and you should find some other time to hunt grouse that’s not during my elk season”

This also wasn’t me grouse hunting, it was someone commenting on my buddies picture of him grouse hunting during elk season
What’s different between shooting rocks or shooting grouse, or sighting in a rifle, or blasting through a box of 9mm? It’s a free country and public land bla bla bla.

For guys who have struggled to draw a tag and have spent thousands of hard earned dollars just to get there, especially older hunters that are limited in how far off the road they can get, it seems like a dick move to hunt nearby birds during archery seasons. I don’t know where all these easy going elk hunters that wouldn’t be pissed off, but I’ve never met one.

What the hell is wrong with people to not know how to act around others?

BBob

WKR
Arizona has a hunt every week, may find one weekend in the fall without a draw hunt going on. Most hunting is on public land. Will also have hikers, target shooters, fishermen in areas.
Blue grouse in AZ are so few and far between that hunting them likely won't disturb anyone. Many years ago I hunted them but not so much anymore.

it seems like a dick move to hunt nearby birds during archery seasons.
Why?

I’ve spent a lot of money and time training my bird dogs. Working them in the mountains for grouse and chukars is every bit as important to me as someone going elk hunting.

Knowing how to act around others includes realizing priorities maybe vastly different and respecting someone’s choice to do things differently than you might.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
What’s different between shooting rocks or shooting grouse, or sighting in a rifle, or blasting through a box of 9mm? It’s a free country and public land bla bla bla.

For guys who have struggled to draw a tag and have spent thousands of hard earned dollars just to get there, especially older hunters that are limited in how far off the road they can get, it seems like a dick move to hunt nearby birds during archery seasons. I don’t know where all these easy going elk hunters that wouldn’t be pissed off, but I’ve never met one.

What the hell is wrong with people to not know how to act around others?
Wow !
Some folks could care less about elk and for them the grouse hunt may be once in a lifetime.
You may need to learn how to act around others it seems.

Bigred323

FNG
I know lots of guys who don’t care about an elk at all but who would be all over shooting grouse.

If it’s public land, whatever is open is fair game. Just because you drew your tag for any species, doesn’t make you anymore important in the area. That’s part of the play on any sort of public ground. I bow hunted public in Missouri and ran into quail or rabbit guys and they would often point me in a direction they saw some nice deer as they didnt care one bit about a deer.

Read1t48

WKR
The consistent feedback is my opinion: public ground, public use. If it happened to me, I would just be thankful to have met Randy Newberg and would encourage him to give elk hunting the priority. 🤣

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t hunt archery and if the grouse season is open I’m going. Fall is too short to be concerned if I may hurt someone’s feels. Granted I tend to move to the next trail if I find a truck at the parking spot. You beat me there it’s your spot.

Reactions: 9.1