Ammo/ grain selection for .308

tstaulcu

FNG
Just recently built a AR10 .308 with 1:10 twist. Any opinions on what grain to use? I will be using this rifle to hunt whitetail. I’ve heard of grain range 150-170. Have been looking at Hornady super performance 165grain. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks again.

OP
T

tstaulcu

FNG
10-4. Any specific brand you use or have had success with? Thanks

OP
T

tstaulcu

FNG
Hey max yardage would mostly likely be 250 But 90% of shots are less than 200 yards

OP
T

tstaulcu

FNG
I’ve looked at Hornady SST and precision hunter they say they are very accurate but have seen a lot of people say there was poor performance in closer ranges, no blood trail and deer walking off etc. Might take a look at ballistic tips as Seuss mentioned. Saw the Remington introduced a newish Remington core lokt tipped

Yoder

WKR
For deer I don't sweat ammunition too much with a 30 caliber. I've found cheap Federal blue box does a good enough job. I used to buy premium ammunition and I think it's overkill. If it was a caliber questionable for a deer I would spend the money.

Try as many as you can and see what the rifle likes. 1:10 might like a heavier bullet (180gr maybe?)

I’d start with 165/170gr and see what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with trying different stuff to find what the gun likes. deer are not tough and 250 isn't far enough to worry. My AR did not like 150's but once I threw in my 178 eld m load, the gun was happy. that was this particular rifle, I've also had 125 noslers shoot really well in others. both will drop a deer quick as long as they hit where I aim, and that's what really matters.

For deer, 165 Sierra Gameking. I dont carry my sentimental 308 as much as I used to, but that combo has always performed. Plan to try out the tipped version one of these days.

OP
T

tstaulcu

FNG
Thanks everyone I think I’ll take the advice of buy a couple different grands and grains will start with the 150 and 165gr and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help. Will
Post some results after I find what my rifle likes

OP
T

tstaulcu

FNG
Use 165 sst in my tikka roughtec .308. Work great on deer and antelope
Use 165 sst in my tikka roughtec .308. Work great on deer and an
My AR 10 loves those inexpensive winchester deer season XPs (150gr), lethal on deer too
Yeah I have been looking at the Winchester XPs and the American whitetails. These may be a good option cuz I’m not looking to break the bank with it being a new AR and unsure what it likes. Hopefully I’ll be lucky and it will shoot 150 or 165s well