Ammo brands

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
If you shoot’s Barnes, is the Barnes brand better/more consistent than the federal premium loaded with a Barnes bullet?
Likewise, is Berger ammo better/more consistent than federal premium loaded with Berger bullets?

Thanks.

MtnW

WKR
Federal Premium has been pretty consistent in various rounds. Have had great results and accuracy with the 140gr Nosler Partition in 7MM/08, 180grain Partition in the .300H&H, and several loads in the 300Win Mag and 270WIN.

SDHNTR

WKR
The only answer is: it depends. Every rifle is different and will have a unique preference.The name on the box is meaningless. There’s no shortcut. You just have to shoot and find out.

Why do these same questions keep popping up?

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Because people do not know the answer.

I tried to search it with no luck, so I asked. I thought it would be a relatively easy answer for someone in the know.

Why does every forum have someone that whines about a question that is asked rather than just skipping it?

IDVortex

WKR
Have had one rifle shoot like piss, the other was alright. You'll have to see if you're gun will like it or not. Each gun is different.

IDVortex

WKR
Why does every forum have someone that whines about a question that is asked rather than just skipping it?
so far everyone answered your question. I bet the comment was in regards that you shouldn't be trying to figure out your ammo right before the season and only buying a box of it, shooting a few rounds and calling it good.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
This is a gun I am getting ready for next year and beyond. Not waiting til the last minute.
Just asking in case one was generally more consistent loads so I didn’t waste time with the other.

SDHNTR

WKR

I tried to search it with no luck, so I asked. I thought it would be a relatively easy answer for someone in the know.

Because there is no answer. You asked an impossible question. I could tell you Federal is great. It’s the best! You go buy Federal and it shoots like crap in your rifle. Does that make it bad ammo now? But it was the best for me! Every rifle has its own preference. End of story. You have to find out what it is. There is no universal answer and there is no shortcut.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just asking in case one was generally more consistent loads so I didn’t waste time with the other.
Nope. Anything on the shelf could be awesome or terrible in any given rifle, even ones of the same make and model.

Antares

WKR
This is a gun I am getting ready for next year and beyond. Not waiting til the last minute.

Don’t listen to him, he’s always cranky when he doesn’t get his nap.

Yes, there are known combinations that are likely to shoot well and these make good starting points when selecting a load. For example, if you said you were buying a 6.5CM Tikka, I’d suggest you try the 140 ELDM factory load because that combination, more likely than not, will hammer.

MtnW

WKR
When you do find a factory combination that works for you on game and on the range it’s wise to buy a case of it . Otherwise you will have the same dilemma every couple of years.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had great success with Federal Premium and Barnes. I thought Federal Premium with Barnes bullets was the best until it became unavailable the last few years then started buying directly from Barnes. I’ve been impressed with anything tipped with a Barnes bullet…

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I didn’t consider sticking to specific lot number. Appreciate the help.

Because people keep asking for an answer only they have...

What color underwear am I wearing?

WKR
Not a solid copper guy. I will say the 6.5 creedmoor berger ammo with 135 classics was amazingly accurate in my rifle. Those same bullets in 4 other 6.5 rifles have been sub .5 moa accurate. I'd like a guys odds on that stuff.

NIHUNTR

FNG
If you shoot’s Barnes, is the Barnes brand better/more consistent than the federal premium loaded with a Barnes bullet?
Likewise, is Berger ammo better/more consistent than federal premium loaded with Berger bullets?

Thanks.
I have heard Black Hills is among the best, but not sure if that applies in hunting application or not.