Aluminum or carbon fiber arrows?

Steveo72

FNG
I have 3 dozen Easton super slam 2317- 300 spine with fixed 100 grain broadheads running 650 grain. Shooting a Mathews halon 32 and my draw length is 32 and built one of the arrows seems to hit way better than my carbon express arrows. Any thoughts on this setup?

sndmn11

WKR
I have 3 dozen Easton super slam 2317- 300 spine with fixed 100 grain broadheads running 650 grain. Shooting a Mathews halon 32 and my draw length is 32 and built one of the arrows seems to hit way better than my carbon express arrows. Any thoughts on this setup?

What does "hit way better" mean?

That answer might help others answer, along with your draw weight.

OP
Steveo72

Steveo72

FNG
I have it maxed out @ 70 pounds and at 40 yards I'm putting the arrow through a fairly new block target with the broadhead poking out about 3 1/2 inches. My carbon arrows at same distance only half way into the target.

OP
Steveo72

Steveo72

FNG
I'm 6'7 so it was hard to find a bow that fit like the Mathews dose. Also the carbon arrows are the same weight.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have it maxed out @ 70 pounds and at 40 yards I'm putting the arrow through a fairly new block target with the broadhead poking out about 3 1/2 inches. My carbon arrows at same distance only half way into the target.
I'm also thinking you can kill and F-150.

Swamp Fox

WKR
There's not enough information here to comment usefully.

So you have the penetration thing down at a certain range ....

What are you trying to accomplish?

[other than that, all I gots right now is dirty jokes ...]

OP
Steveo72

Steveo72

FNG
Mainly seeing if anyone is using this same kinda setup? I shoot at least 4 times a week even if it's just a few shots after work. I know with carbon they fly way faster I did have to tune my sight being these aluminum seem to fly slower. Feels like @ 50/60 yards there's a lot of arc in the arrow flight to the target. This is the first time in years I have shot an aluminum arrow so my question is is anyone else returning to aluminum and ditching carbon?

That’s going through a lot! I just tried out some broadheads on a new target block ad well and they went in about 70% from 20 yards. That’s at 75 pounds and 33 draw length

Swamp Fox

WKR
Mainly seeing if anyone is using this same kinda setup? I shoot at least 4 times a week even if it's just a few shots after work. I know with carbon they fly way faster I did have to tune my sight being these aluminum seem to fly slower. Feels like @ 50/60 yards there's a lot of arc in the arrow flight to the target. This is the first time in years I have shot an aluminum arrow so my question is is anyone else returning to aluminum and ditching carbon?
I like aluminum arrows for certain things and wouldn't hesitate to shoot them if they fly well. I might prefer them several situations.

Let's assume your bow is quiet. And that you're not shooting at game past 50 yards? You'll have to figure the limit yourself, though. What are we hunting?

Penetration is only one of several factors that goes into choosing a "best arrow."

If you can kill and retrieve what you want to, I wouldn't worry about what all us other knuckleheads think.

At 70#/32" you don't need to worry about penetration...you'll have plenty no matter what arrow you shoot.

A carbon arrow and aluminum arrow of the same total weight will have the same launch speed out of a given bow and will penetrate equally well. I wouldn't read too much into penetration differences in a target...that doesn't necessarily translate to penetration performance on animals.

Whatever arrow weight and material you choose, tune your bow so broadheads hit alongside field points. Good arrow flight is much more important than weight or shaft material.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Earlier you said the two arrows weigh the same so initial speed should be somewhat equal. Thinner carbon may retain down range speed better but probably not enough at 50 yds to matter. If the aluminum groups better go with it. I dont think you mentioned how the two groups compared. I still hunt with aluminum carbon composite.

Swamp Fox

WKR
At 70#/32" you don't need to worry about penetration...you'll have plenty no matter what arrow you shoot.

A carbon arrow and aluminum arrow of the same total weight will have the same launch speed out of a given bow and will penetrate equally well. I wouldn't read too much into penetration differences in a target...that doesn't necessarily translate to penetration performance on animals.

Whatever arrow weight and material you choose, tune your bow so broadheads hit alongside field points. Good arrow flight is much more important than weight or shaft material.
Arrow diameter will affect penetration, but otherwise thumbs up ...

If the OP can shoot aluminum as well or better than carbon, he should just close the book and go hunting ....

ForkLift

FNG
Noob question to piggyback on to OP. The bow shop set me up with carbon fiber arrows. If I wanted to shoot aluminum, as long as the aluminum are the same weight & length as my carbon fiber arrows, I should be good? Will changing to aluminum affect (effect?) my sights & overall feel of shooting the bow?

dtrkyman

WKR
I literally killed a truck load of deer back in the day with a 2317, was shooting 80lbs at the time. Treestand hunting in the midwest that set up was great, I would want a flatter trajectory for western hunting but it would surely still work.

Aluminum arrows have extremely good consistency from arrow to arrow.

Your Halon has drastically more performance than the bow I had shot them from, and with your draw length your trajectory is probably not terrible, you got em, shoot em!