Alternatives to Tyvek?

I have a MountainSmith Mountain Shelter and I want to cut a custom footprint for it. It's a funky shape so this will be a DIY project. I know Tyvek is an option, but what else have you guys played with? Anything lighter? Less noisy? Easier to sew/glue?

Thanks for the help!

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Polycro is a tyvek alternative. It’s lighter, remains to be seen if it’s as durable for me

BBob

WKR
Polycro is a tyvek alternative. It’s lighter, remains to be seen if it’s as durable for me
It isn’t. It’s a throwaway after a bit of use but it’s cheap. I’ll add it depends on where you’re using it too. In the forest it’ll obviously last much longer than in the desert over rocks.

OP
CjMelendrez
Seems like Tyvek might be my best option, and it's proven. Where do you guys get your material from? I don't need a full contractors roll.

WKR
I replaced my tyvek with Matty McMattface foam. I think it gives some puncture protection and additional insulation for not much more weight.

Edit: it also adds redundancy for a sleeping pad and can pull double-duty as a seat for glassing.

Last edited:
Polycro is what all the UL guys are using now. Lighter, still pretty durable. Probably more or equally as noisy, and slick.

180ls1

WKR
Polycro is what all the UL guys are using now. Lighter, still pretty durable. Probably more or equally as noisy, and slick.

Do you or anyone else know how much warmth a reflective barrier ads? Polycryo + thermal blanket is what I was thinking about. My current pad has no reflective barriers.

Dnicode

FNG
I’ve been using polycro under my tent and it’s good for like a season. It packs up small but it tears pretty easily. It’s basically like thick plastic wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I camp often and have several pieces of Tyvek. Have never had issues with max heat dryer setting.

What I do: When a piece is new I wash it, tumble in a dryer at high heat setting for at least 60 minutes (to soften/wrinkle). I pack pieces tight into a Ziploc to create creases/wrinkles before leaving in camp gear totes till needed. The pieces handle a lot of camping use, periodic washing/dryer... For wear life it helps to have multiple pieces to cycle + I round out the 4 corners with a scissors.

Hope this helps. :)

OP
CjMelendrez
I camp often and have several pieces of Tyvek. Have never had issues with max heat dryer setting.

What I do: When a piece is new I wash it, tumble in a dryer at high heat setting for at least 60 minutes (to soften/wrinkle). I pack pieces tight into a Ziploc to create creases/wrinkles before leaving in camp gear totes till needed. The pieces handle a lot of camping use, periodic washing/dryer... For wear life it helps to have multiple pieces to cycle + I round out the 4 corners with a scissors.

Hope this helps. :)

great input!! thanks for the info (y)

Beendare

WKR
I have used tyvek…its good but not 100% waterproof, some moisture wicks through.

I also use a silnylon footprint I sewed that I put lines of diluted silicone on for less slip. I wouldn’t go lighter than the RSBTR 30d mountain silnylon.

The lightest by 1/2 and easiest will be the Dyneema as you cut and glue- but also the most expensive. Its 100% waterproof.

OP
CjMelendrez
I have used tyvek…its good but not 100% waterproof, some moisture wicks through.

I also use a silnylon footprint I sewed that I put lines of diluted silicone on for less slip. I wouldn’t go lighter than the RSBTR 30d mountain silnylon.

The lightest by 1/2 and easiest will be the Dyneema as you cut and glue- but also the most expensive. Its 100% waterproof.

Where would you source Dyneema from? I'm temped to go the silnylon rout to just play with something else.