Alternative to Hornady One Shot to Clean Powder Measurer

RSC12

FNG
Hello,

I'm brand new to reloading so have no idea on this. I just purchased a Hornady Lock n Load kit and was going to set it up. The instructions say to clean the powder dropper with one shot cleaner and lube. I can't for the life of me find this in Canada at the moment and most places from the US either won't ship it up here or the shipping charges are crazy expensive.

I called Hornady and they of course recommend their own stuff. They said options such as brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol would work to clean the hopper however they also can lead to corrosion in the future so not the best.

I'm wondering if a product like G96 would work or if it would cause problems? I already have some as I used it to clean some other parts, I just don't know what's so special about Hornady's one shot. Any other recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks,
RSC

I’ve never done anything like that, not an expert but closing in on 15 years of reloading. I’d just roll on.

One shot is best for lubing cases so they don’t get stuck. Not sure why it’s needed in a powder drop? I have three presses and a few powder droppers.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
I’ve never done anything like that, not an expert but closing in on 15 years of reloading. I’d just roll on.

One shot is best for lubing cases so they don’t get stuck. Not sure why it’s needed in a powder drop? I have three presses and a few powder droppers.
Thanks for the reply. Do mean you didn't clean your powder hopper at all or did you use something else?

And just to clarify hornady said to use their One shot cleaner and lube. It's a different product then their case lube I believe.

Thanks for the reply. Do mean you didn't clean your powder hopper at all or did you use something else?

And just to clarify hornady said to use their One shot cleaner and lube. It's a different product then their case lube I believe.
Actually I’ve never cleaned anything I run powder through, less the air compressor and a rag. Probably load 2,000 rounds per year on a 550, a Forster, and sometimes my old RCBS. Maybe I’m missing something but I’d start dropping powder I’d I were you.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I called Hornady and they of course recommend their own stuff. They said options such as brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol would work to clean the hopper however they also can lead to corrosion in the future so not the best.
Just use rubbing alcohol. There is some residual oil from factory production that you'll want to wipe out of there, and standard rubbing alcohol will not cause corrosion. Certain types of brake cleaner might. Wipe it out, fill it, and throw charges. Depending upon powder those things can be pretty inconsistent so if loading for a bolt rifle I take the extra second to weigh every charge.