Alps Commander X VS RMEF Eberlestock

Going on my first backcountry elk hunt this September. I cannot afford a kifaru, exo, etc. What pack would be the better option for me? Any experiences with either of these?
Deciding between the Alps Commander X, it looks like a really good pack but some complains of comfort… and the RMEF Eberlestock Team Elk, looks like a good pack but the shelf looks like it could be an issue hauling meat if carrying too much gear inside the pack…

I will attach pictures of each. Thanks for the help guys.
9ff2ab3f81a79774eef5a7b08b547523.jpg

f9ec78b5dd2706fee5f532e9cb4cb08e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the classifieds on here? You may be able to find a “premium” pack for what you’d pay new for those options you listed.
I have no experience with alpz, I did use an eberlestock (mainframe) for a couple years. It worked, but wasn’t particularly comfortable. Training with 60lbs in it got old pretty quick-the non existent load lifters made the weight stay on my shoulders, and that rmef model looks similar.

Whatever you decide on, I’d really recommend trying it on with weight to see how it fits YOU.

I have that Eberlestock pack and it’s not good for meat hauling. If you are on a budget and can’t find a premium pack used, look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl system

Taudisio

WKR
A premium pack will do you wonders and be what I recommend, that said……I have a mystery ranch terraframe 50 I used a lot but is now a loaner. It has packed out a few bulls. I was able to fit 5 days of gear without using the load shelf, but she was stuffed full and my old tent was strapped to the bottom. Not the most comfortable with a heavy load, but manageable. I can carry twice the weight, while being more comfortable with my kifaru. I owned and sold the eberlestock RMEF m5.

TravisIN

WKR
I was in the same boat and bought the commander x. I only made it a few training hikes and had to do something different. The biggest problem was the belt was too big and I’m not exactly kittle. I’m 6’1 and 215 with a 34” waist normally. With just 30-40 I was bottoming the belt out and the pack was sliding down and not putting any weight on my hips. I really think you can find a good used mystery ranch metcalf or a kuiu setup on here for the same price.

Having never handled either of the OP's pack options, I would take the Alps based on the load lifter angle.

Lots of packs go through the classifieds here.

adamm88

WKR
If you looking for a cheaper pack id look at the lumberjack bounty 2.0, i had one and the frame was simular to a kifaru.

As others said look at classified, i sold my lumberjack and was even up with a Kilaru frame and woodsman's bag for what i got out of it. Camo fire also has mystery ranch packs is seems almost weekly as well,

OP
C
I just saw mystery ranch metcafs on sierra trading for under $300 fyi

I actually ended up getting the slumberjack bounty 2.0 and I like it a lot. Is it pretty durable? I’ve been training with a 60lb sandbag and when I sinch the sandbag down on the slumberjack is seams like the stitching on the clips holding the load have a lot lot of tension on them makes me worried they are going to break. Any experience with this?

bama85

FNG
I have been looking at the bounty 2.0 also. Can you take the center pack off and just use small pack for day hunts. With still using the meet shelf.