Alpha x 33 too heavy for backcountry hunt?

Anyone planning on doing back country elk hunts with their Hoyt Alpha X 33? I like mine but it’s pretty heavy. Trying to decide if it’s worth lugging it out west or should use another setup.

Gerbdog

WKR
For western hunting - not sitting in a tree - i love the longer AtoA (use a 33" myself). For me they just shoot better at longer distances, and the weight seems to hold them steady for me in the wind. They also seem to be more forgiving to me. I switched from a 28" AtoA and wont be looking back any time soon. If its heavier i just train more with it til i dont notice.

If you shoot it well and like it, take it. I wagged a VTM 34 (a bit heavier) hundreds of miles last year, from Alaska tundra to NV desert mountains and everywhere in between.

180ls1

WKR
Extra ounces and inches on a weapon mean very little if they extend your effective range significantly. 10 extra yards is significant in archery IMO.

OP
S
If you shoot it well and like it, take it. I wagged a VTM 34 (a bit heavier) hundreds of miles last year, from Alaska tundra to NV desert mountains and everywhere in between.
Ok good to hear. I was wondering about that bow being a touch heavier and guys experience using it in the mountains

OP
S
I shoot a 39" bow. Love it and would *never* go below 35" again.
My old bow I’ve taken out west was a PSE Decree HD 35 ata and was pretty light. Really loved that bow but my cam module snapped so I have gone through a few bows trying to find my new favorite

Beendare

WKR
Funny you bring this up as I'm just now asking the same question.

I have been hunting with a recurve- awesome to carry those in the woods. I'm going to hunt with a compound on some hunts and the weight of these with all of the heavy accessories has gone up from 20 yrs ago. My buddies bow with quiver, stabilizers and Garmin sight is 9#

I think it's best to stick with what you shoot best- instead of spending $$$$ and starting from scratch.
I had to start from scratch....bought a used Levitate. Namely as its pretty light platform.....and it's a great shooter.

OP
S
Funny you bring this up as I'm just now asking the same question.

I have been hunting with a recurve- awesome to carry those in the woods. I'm going to hunt with a compound on some hunts and the weight of these with all of the heavy accessories has gone up from 20 yrs ago. My buddies bow with quiver, stabilizers and Garmin sight is 9#

I think it's best to stick with what you shoot best- instead of spending $$$$ and starting from scratch.
I had to start from scratch....bought a used Levitate. Namely as its pretty light platform.....and it's a great shooter.
I was actually thinking of getting a levitate or Lift. Admittedly, I like getting bows and setting them up and selling what I don’t like. I did keep that PSE Decree as my primary bow for about 7 years though.

I actually thought of just bringing my long bow because it’s so light and I often feel like I’m backpack hiking rather than hunting elk haha

ndfb35

FNG
I would rather save energy throughout the entirety of the hunt and deal with focusing on the wind if I get a shot than using more energy just to have to still worry about the wind during a shot.

I don't get the jitters until after I shoot and with my Mach 34 I don't have any issues holding steady. My bow setup to hunt is 6 lb 2 oz and it's a pleasure to lug around bow hiking.

big44a4

WKR
Take what you shoot well. My hunting bow is 10+ lbs with a full quiver and I don’t care. I don’t get tired from carrying my bow. I’ve been back to back rifle seasons with buddies no tag or rifle for me and it felt the exact same as archery when I have the tag and weapon.

Beendare

WKR
I was actually thinking of getting a levitate or Lift. Admittedly, I like getting bows and setting them up and selling what I don’t like. I did keep that PSE Decree as my primary bow for about 7 years though.

I actually thought of just bringing my long bow because it’s so light and I often feel like I’m backpack hiking rather than hunting elk haha
IME, hunting with a trad bow vs a compound dictates the way you have to hunt -Totally different) ….and its species dependent…depends on if you are talking Elk or Mule Deer.

Sure, you can call elk in to a trad bow, but now a days in heavy hunted units I hunt- those elk come in wary and looking for you. Not being able to draw and hold for a minute or more until they clear cover is a distinct disadvantage that has cost me at least 5 elk in the last 3 years or so- trying to draw when they are clear is tough.
Thats not even considering the longer range advantage of a compound.

Mule deer- sneaking 50y on a bedded buck is doable- 20y is a whole different ball game with mountain winds.

Sticking with what you have is a good call.