Alpha range finding binocular tech

WKR

WKR
I will be picking up either the swarovski el range ta or the zeiss victory rf 10x42 here pretty soon.
My question is does anyone know if there will be any major tech upgrades coming to either of these units soon or maybe next year? I would hold off until they released the new version if that is the case.

Also for those of you that have either, what is the recommended attachment for a tripod head? Is there only the outdoorsman stud? Or other options?

huntnful

WKR
I will be picking up either the swarovski el range ta or the zeiss victory rf 10x42 here pretty soon.
My question is does anyone know if there will be any major tech upgrades coming to either of these units soon or maybe next year? I would hold off until they released the new version if that is the case.

Also for those of you that have either, what is the recommended attachment for a tripod head? Is there only the outdoorsman stud? Or other options?
I’ve owned both. I recommend the Zeiss. The Swaro has slightly better glass and a more bold display. The Zeiss has a much better rangefinder and are smaller profiled in your bino pouch. So picked whatever suites your personal needs the most. I used the outdoorsmans stud attachment.

Reactions: WKR

SuperBoot

FNG
I’ve owned the EL Range TA 10’s for about a year and a half now, and echo the sentiment above about the rangefinder in the Zeiss.

I prefer the swaro glass but the Zeiss RF seems to tag natural terrain and animals better in my experience.

The one thing the swaro has going for it in that department is the laser is FAST. Huge improvement over the Zeiss and Leica. I can get readbacks and re-ranges pretty much as fast as I press the button on the swaro when it takes at least a couple seconds to re range on the other two. Not the end of the world but that was something that bugged the hell out of me especially on the 3200.com’s.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I’ve owned the EL Range TA 10’s for about a year and a half now, and echo the sentiment above about the rangefinder in the Zeiss.

I prefer the swaro glass but the Zeiss RF seems to tag natural terrain and animals better in my experience.

The one thing the swaro has going for it in that department is the laser is FAST. Huge improvement over the Zeiss and Leica. I can get readbacks and re-ranges pretty much as fast as I press the button on the swaro when it takes at least a couple seconds to re range on the other two. Not the end of the world but that was something that bugged the hell out of me especially on the 3200.com’s.
Which ballistic software is better between the zeiss and swarovski?

huntnful

WKR
Neither is superior to the other. They both use basic ballistic solvers and take only pressures and temperatures into account. You just true your on target data into the bino to make sure you have good data input. There's nothing crazy special about either software.

SuperBoot

FNG
The Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica all use a similar onboard solver that computes based off bullet weight, BC, muzzle velocity, temp and pressure. Basic stuff but it’s proven to be within a tenth or so of my AB Kestrel to about 1k. All have onboard temp/pressure which will update your data in real time.

I have the most experience with the swaro and it’s definitely not bad if you keep your profiles accurate with muzzle vel, etc.
The app is decently easy to navigate and you can switch profiles easily once you figure out the button layout on the binos.

I’ve only glanced at the Zeiss app/software but the values it computes off of are the same as swaro, so I would expect similar accuracy.

The Leica is in my opinion the biggest pain to navigate as far as the app is concerned. You can either build a profile like above or choose a preset that will get you kinda sorta in the ballpark if you don’t have a way to collect muzzle velocity and the like. That being said, it’s the only one of the three to interface with a Kestrel and feed it ranges, which in my opinion is huge if you’re invested in that system. It will talk to garmin smartwatches with applied ballistics as well.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I'm leaning towards the zeiss, yesterday I was leaning towards the swaro, but I found a really good deal on the zeiss and it seems like there isn't enough difference to justify the 1000 dollar price difference

huntnful

WKR
I'm leaning towards the zeiss, yesterday I was leaning towards the swaro, but I found a really good deal on the zeiss and it seems like there isn't enough difference to justify the 1000 dollar price difference
There isn't dude. I would absolutely get the zeiss. I just cannot imagine that you would be disappointed. I had mine for two years and loved them. Bought the el range TA and then returned it because the 5% better glass wasn't worth the drawbacks for me. Then bought another pair of Zeiss 10X42 RFs, before finally settling on a pair of NL 12's and the revic BR4. That's been a great combo, but I 100% miss being able to range with a bino instead of the handheld now.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
There isn't dude. I would absolutely get the zeiss. I just cannot imagine that you would be disappointed. I had mine for two years and loved them. Bought the el range TA and then returned it because the 5% better glass wasn't worth the drawbacks for me. Then bought another pair of Zeiss 10X42 RFs, before finally settling on a pair of NL 12's and the revic BR4. That's been a great combo, but I 100% miss being able to range with a bino instead of the handheld now.
Ordered a pair last night, what all do I need from outdoorsmans to get it set up on a surui va-5 panhead?

huntnful

WKR
Ordered a pair last night, what all do I need from outdoorsmans to get it set up on a surui va-5 panhead?
You would need the Zeiss RF specific outdoorsmans stud. It's made to be usable with the battery because that's also where the battery is on the zeiss. Then the quick detach bino adaptor post. And on the bottom of their bino adaptor, you'd need to attach an arca plate that fits the VA5.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
You would need the Zeiss RF specific outdoorsmans stud. It's made to be usable with the battery because that's also where the battery is on the zeiss. Then the quick detach bino adaptor post. And on the bottom of their bino adaptor, you'd need to attach an arca plate that fits the VA5.
So just these two items? Or do I need their outdoorsman to arca swiss adapter?
Wondering if I can attach the arca plates I already have to their post

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331-082126_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331-082126_Samsung Internet.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230331-082240_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331-082240_Samsung Internet.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 12

huntnful

WKR
So just these two items? Or do I need their outdoorsman to arca swiss adapter?
Wondering if I can attach the arca plates I already have to their post
Yep! And you can attach your plates to the bottom of their posts. I had a VA5 for little while before and that's how I used mine.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Yep! And you can attach your plates to the bottom of their posts. I had a VA5 for little while before and that's how I used mine.
Awesome, what head did you go to after the VA5?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Have you ever done any shooting off of either?

SouthPaw

WKR
For those who have hunted with the Zeiss 10x42 RF : Does the RF still work with solid performance when cold soaked in 10-30F temps?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
What bino harness have you guys found to work best with the zeiss rf 10x42?

I have the adak, but im looking for something better...and I'm worried about magnets in the closure for some reason although I dont know if they would have an effect

Shraggs

WKR
To add to superboot comments, no I would not in the least bit be concerned about tech upgrades obsolescence.

It’s a solver and a weather meter built into a bino. Any tech upgrades are done thru firmware updates like your phone.