Alpen Optics

kravguy

WKR
Anyone use Alpen for their binocular or rifle scope needs? I don't see many reviews comparing them to other models. I see they won Outdoor Lifes great buy award. Looks like they have a warranty similar to Vortex glass.

JNDEER

WKR
I did not care for their low end spotters, just was not right for my eyes when i checked them out at sportsmans

i have compared the apex bino 10x42 and it topped my zen ray binos in low light clearity, not brightness. the apex are not as "bright" but held their clearity very well for their price point.

wapitibob

WKR
As far as "construction", they're made by the same guys that make Vortex. Individual components are spec'd by Alpen. You just need to compare price and clarity for your eyes and budget. That new Vortex 50mm is getting some good reviews by guys who have purchased them.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
As far as "construction", they're made by the same guys that make Vortex. Individual components are spec'd by Alpen.

It really depends on model. Vortex and Alpen may use the same OEM to produce certain models, but a different OEM for other models. Lots of companies utilize various OEMs to manufacture their designs (Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.)

I have seen some Alpen binoculars, but don't have any in-the-field time with them.

AGPank

WKR
They have a wide offering of low to mid range optics. What exactly are you looking for? A guy at my archery range is on staff and uses their Teton line. I've only looked through them for a brief moment and they were fine. Similar build and optical performance as the vortex viper as a quick comparison.

I've read good reviews about the Rainier line, but I haven't seen them. Albinos.com had a very high review of them. I just thought there were other options for that price.

I know others with the line below the Tetons and they don't seem to hold up to use.

AGPank

WKR
A quick clarification. The pair that I wasn't crazy about was the Shasta ridge line. To be fair these are a budget pair of binoculars that proved serviceable for several years.

TaserX

FNG
I have a pair from about 12 years ago. They were a very new company at that time. I used mine one season and replaced them. The glass was not clear at all. I still have them lying around maybe I should send them in.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks guys. I was just curious about the company. I don't see them mentioned much, but they seem to have a lineup similar to vortex and similar warranty too.

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
I had the good fortune to meet the owner, Vickie Gardner. She is a class act who will stand behind her products.

That being said, never used their Optics, but they do seem to be a good value.