Alpacka Rafts?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cool video!! Neat little raft! Not something I'd want to use in a current but certainly fills a niche.

Cool video!! Neat little raft! Not something I'd want to use in a current but certainly fills a niche.

I agree, certainly a niche and I'm glad he's doing another run because it should fit my needs perfectly. I probably could get by with the Crossflyte if need be, but I'd rather have the extra width for stability and space even if it makes it track like crap. For what I want I just cannot justify the weight or cost of an Alpacka to simply get out in the middle of a lake to fish. If I were using it as a means of transport than I would certainly rethink it. Unfortunately because it is a niche, I don't think he sells a ton of them and therefore can't really have multiple models or follow through on some of the prototypes, such as the Ultraflyte which pushed the design under 2lbs. Check out the FWD facebook page to see some of the prototypes that never made it for sale and he uses the facebook page as a means of gauging interest on whether to take things to production.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Either of you got any tips for handling tackle and creating a soft rocket launcher set-up?

lee peet

FNG
Luke do you think the hd pr49 is necesary or is the standard already durable enough?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke do you think the hd pr49 is necesary or is the standard already durable enough?

I have used my PR-49s for a couple years now and have done a far bit of dragging on each. Mine were bought before HD models were around and I still will be using them certainly. That said had there been the option for HD PR-49s when I bought mine I likely would have gone that route.

COlineman,

Yeah I was referring if you had some pics of you with the raft in action. Very interested to see some pics of you in it especially being that large and paddling around and such. Certainly not something you'd want to packraft down a river with, but for your needs and what Bruce is describing it could be the ticket for just dinking around in a lake or something of that nature and not hauling you and your pack down a river.

Got the raft this week and I have some pictures. Not in action yet, but at least it'll give you an idea of how it fits someone my size.

VYgCDo3tng5fRNdLZeyp4fpykfyixBiulPoi0PziXv4=w597-h710-no

ZMha6726Vdq8iLCrpjTZi1QgOiBhRI1L3491k-6u6yU=w1137-h710-no

DSC_0395.JPG

Next to my size 12:
f1Paky1-QLI1w38VD6fMN7218vXjIpSjLfRnDoBR01A=w790-h710-no

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I know old thread but I was wondering why do people put their backpacks on the front end instead of in the packraft and sitting on it?

1. Balance. If you are 200# and your pack is 100#, if you sat on the pack you would have 300# in the back.

2. Lower center of gravity is always better.

Once you sit in one it a very quick learning curve to what works best with regard to loading.

Sci

FNG
Im pretty sure Larry has some video floating a moose down a river in one. Personally, it wouldn't be my first choice.
I know this is an old thread but what would be your first choice?
Thanks,
Dan

OP
Where's Bruce?
Talk about a resurrection...old thread revival from ancient times. I prop the pack up against the top front of the raft with the shoulder straps facing up and lash it to the raft with bungee cords. Works great. The optional inflated floor adds quite a bit of floatation and comfort and I always take it. Here's a pic from my inaugural wild, whitewater excursion (as shown on Facebook).

YourFBmoment.jpg
...and here's another angle of the shot.

Yourreallife.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know this is an old thread but what would be your first choice?
Thanks,
Dan

I like my pr49hd. I’ve used it on a few trips so far but just got it around this time last year. My wife has the alpaca scout and it’s cool for what it is but I’m leaning towards getting her something a bit more substantial like the caribou.