Alpacka or Pr-49 hd ?

Aklongbow

FNG
I'm just now jumping in to pack rafts for up here in Alaska, I've been studying and reading a crap load ..... still can't make up mind ha!ha
What I'm really wanting is a light weight raft that I can portage easily by myself when moose hunting/bear .
I have a boat , I have a couple 17ft canoes , but they suck to portage very far by yourself.
At first I thought that I wanted a Alpacka , maybe a explore x42 or a forager model ?
But now I was looking at the PR-49hd and they are only 15lbs . To me the Pr-49 looks tougher built and set up more for hauling meat/gear.
The Alpacka is cool no doubt with the internal storage, but seems like that could be a issue when dragging ?
I would be mainly using in flat water , or slow rivers that are shallow at times .
I have no experience with either rafts and would be for Solo use ...... well and with my 95# hunting dog lol
So it maybe seems to me that the Pr-49 maybe a better choice when long packs aren't on the agenda ? Alpacka when a smaller lighter raft is needed ?
I also like that Prestine rafts are made here in Alaska!!
I am in no way bashing any brand. Nor do I want anyone to do so either ......... Just trying to figure out which one would fit my needs better !

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm just now jumping in to pack rafts for up here in Alaska, I've been studying and reading a crap load ..... still can't make up mind ha!ha
What I'm really wanting is a light weight raft that I can portage easily by myself when moose hunting/bear .
I have a boat , I have a couple 17ft canoes , but they suck to portage very far by yourself.
At first I thought that I wanted a Alpacka , maybe a explore x42 or a forager model ?
But now I was looking at the PR-49hd and they are only 15lbs . To me the Pr-49 looks tougher built and set up more for hauling meat/gear.
The Alpacka is cool no doubt with the internal storage, but seems like that could be a issue when dragging ?
I would be mainly using in flat water , or slow rivers that are shallow at times .
I have no experience with either rafts and would be for Solo use ...... well and with my 95# hunting dog lol
So it maybe seems to me that the Pr-49 maybe a better choice when long packs aren't on the agenda ? Alpacka when a smaller lighter raft is needed ?
I also like that Prestine rafts are made here in Alaska!!
I am in no way bashing any brand. Nor do I want anyone to do so either ......... Just trying to figure out which one would fit my needs better !
The pristine venture rafts aren’t made in Alaska, the guy who sells them lives here though.

He’s behave a forager and a pr49 and they are both nice but I like the way the pr49 uses slings to keep weight off the floor. What I don’t like about the forager is the self bailing inflatable floor which adds 5-6” in the bottom of the raft making it seem sort of awkward. Also the seat of the forager is just on the back of the boat, you need to spend like 150 dollars for another seat.

I’ve hauled moose with my PR49, havnt had the chance to do so with the forager yet.

OP
Aklongbow

Aklongbow

FNG
The pristine venture rafts aren’t made in Alaska, the guy who sells them lives here though.

He’s behave a forager and a pr49 and they are both nice but I like the way the pr49 uses slings to keep weight off the floor. What I don’t like about the forager is the self bailing inflatable floor which adds 5-6” in the bottom of the raft making it seem sort of awkward. Also the seat of the forager is just on the back of the boat, you need to spend like 150 dollars for another seat.

I’ve hauled moose with my PR49, havnt had the chance to do so with the forager yet.
Thanks Thinhorn ,
I wasn't for sure if LB owned the company or just designed the rafts . I've watched his video's on YouTube and like the values in which he teaches . Seems like a great guy .
It gets to be a complicated decision choosing your first raft ha!ha
I really like the way the pr49 is set up , meat and gear can be up off the floor ..... which seems would be best . Also seems like a lot of bank for you buck ?
The weight isn't a huge difference between the 2 ...... how about actual packing size ?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks Thinhorn ,
I wasn't for sure if LB owned the company or just designed the rafts . I've watched his video's on YouTube and like the values in which he teaches . Seems like a great guy .
It gets to be a complicated decision choosing your first raft ha!ha
I really like the way the pr49 is set up , meat and gear can be up off the floor ..... which seems would be best . Also seems like a lot of bank for you buck ?
The weight isn't a huge difference between the 2 ...... how about actual packing size ?
LB designed the rafts and owns the company, he’s a good guy to deal with. The pr49 is much bulkier than the forager. You could actually pack a forager, the pr49, I guess you could but it packs down much less than the forager does. The other issue is the pump, so he alpaca uses a bag which weighs a few ounces, the forager uses a foot pump.

It’s hard to say which one is better, they both have a lot going for them but they both have shortcomings too. In my opinion, the main downside to the PR49 is the pump, those Chinese intex pumps are cheap and I’ve had to pull a duct tape repair job on one out in the middle of nowhere. The downside to the forager is the floor in my opinion and the way they don’t utilize cargo nets and seats to keep you and gear up off the floor.

I think if I had to pick one, I’d take the pr49 but if I was staring all over again, I’d probably upsize to the cork since I’m not really hiking with the raft anyways.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I also have a PR-49HD...have used it for seven years on moose drop-hunts and remote hundred-mile floats. It has always performed extremely well without any failures or problems...and Larry Bartlett is definitely a good guy on my list. I also have hauled moose in it just fine. Durable and well designed for balance and load carry.

I do not have an Alpaca raft, but there are many positive aspects to that option as well. If I were doing true pack-rafting through the mountains between various drainages, then I'd probably lean towards the Alpaca. The PR-49HD is not very compact when deflated and rolled...pretty much still a large package, even though only 15 lbs.

Excellent points made by thinhorn_ak above...I totally agree.

I also have a Kork raft from Larry Bartlett as well, and that is my favorite for long floats. More to say about that, but not part of your question.

Another advantage to the PR-49HD is that LB offers a discount for fellow veterans, which is very kind and generous of him.

OP
Aklongbow

Aklongbow

FNG
I also have a PR-49HD...have used it for seven years on moose drop-hunts and remote hundred-mile floats. It has always performed extremely well without any failures or problems...and Larry Bartlett is definitely a good guy on my list. I also have hauled moose in it just fine. Durable and well designed for balance and load carry.

I do not have an Alpaca raft, but there are many positive aspects to that option as well. If I were doing true pack-rafting through the mountains between various drainages, then I'd probably lean towards the Alpaca. The PR-49HD is not very compact when deflated and rolled...pretty much still a large package, even though only 15 lbs.

Excellent points made by thinhorn_ak above...I totally agree.

I also have a Kork raft from Larry Bartlett as well, and that is my favorite for long floats. More to say about that, but not part of your question.

Another advantage to the PR-49HD is that LB offers a discount for fellow veterans, which is very kind and generous of him.
Thanks AkDoc !
I really appreciate all you guys Help !
I'm thinking the pr-49hd probably fits what I want the best .... just something dependable and light weight that is easily portage when needed . I realize there is no one raft that is perfect for every situation.
For now I'm thinking get the pr-49hd and then later if I want something light weight and packable for long hikes maybe a Alpacka Explorer 42 or something.
I really like the whole setup on the pr49 , looks to be a little more durable also .
Supporting locals who try to give back to the community is also a big plus !!! With that said , nothing against Alpacka either as they are quality and American built also.
I would love to get the Kork , but 42lbs isn't really what I'm looking for at the moment. 15lbs would be easily portage solo ........ but maybe a Kork one day !!!!

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Thinhorn what rear seat are you running on the back of your Forager? I use a $50 soccer mom stadium seat, but am always looking for better ideas. It's entrapment city which scares me when I run anything over Class I. OP - I think the PR-49 would work well for a tough boat for short portages. I will say I do love my Alpackas (Classic and Forager) and can't recommend them highly enough. Durability has exceeded all expectations.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
I have owned both and strongly recommend the PR-49. The Alpacka Mule that I owned was nice but I much preferred the 49 because of the lashing and attachment points. A bit heavier but if hauling meat/antlers is part of the game it's the clear winner.

OP
Aklongbow

Aklongbow

FNG
Thanks Guys !!! Really appreciate it and I'm sure both raft Company's are Quality.
I would venture to say ....... this maybe the first one I buy , but probably not the Last !!! Ha!ha

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thinhorn what rear seat are you running on the back of your Forager? I use a $50 soccer mom stadium seat, but am always looking for better ideas. It's entrapment city which scares me when I run anything over Class I. OP - I think the PR-49 would work well for a tough boat for short portages. I will say I do love my Alpackas (Classic and Forager) and can't recommend them highly enough. Durability has exceeded all expectations.
I havnt really found a good option yet. On my pr49, I use a dry bag or something and can make a decent seat. The alpacka is more limiting.