Alpaca vs Merino socks

Have you tried Darn Tough merino wool socks? They have a LIFEtime no questions asked policy for replacement. I'v paid for about 10 pairs of socks in as many years. Crazy great deal and those socks are the stuff

Trying out some alpaca this year to see how it goes. I do like merino a lot, but looking for something a little better possibly. Darn tough are great, but I find the toe box to be a bit tight in comparison to smartwool.

Have you tried FORLOH's Merino socks?

100% Made in America with a lifetime warranty.

Darn Tough are great socks. I would stray away from their really light models. The really lightweight models are thin on top and I found that thin section wears thru. They'll replace them but and the replacement isn't a big deal, I'd just rather not have them wear out. I've accrued a drawer full of them over time. Yes, they're more $ but the customer service when returning them is top notch, they literally have a lifetime warranty, you can wear them for days straight, etc. Darn Tough is a quality product worth the $ in my experience.

I've tested both Alpaca and Merino socks and my personal opinion is the alpaca socks are all talk. They don't perform any better than merino wool. It's hard to find them, but my favorite socks have 80%+ wool in them and I think those perform the best.

Trying out some alpaca this year to see how it goes. I do like merino a lot, but looking for something a little better possibly. Darn tough are great, but I find the toe box to be a bit tight in comparison to smartwool.
I agree....hard to get them on.....but they feel good and stay in place pretty well.

In western PA there is a local alpaca farm that makes socks, gloves and other garments from their alpaca. I bought a heavier pair this summer for cold weather that I have yet to try. Curious to see how they compare to my Darn Tough and Smartwool merino socks. Truthfully, I dont see there being much of a difference.

My feet are always cold. last year on a cold morning, I wore my husbands alpaca socks, and my feet were not cold. I am not sure if it was just a random thing, or if the sock is that great! we dont get many cold days for me to know. I wont get to try again till probably Nov. I am taking several alpaca socks and several other wool socks to WY for a cow elk hunt, and plan to test them thoroughly.

His were Pacas, and I typically wear midweight wool blend myself. I also have ladies Pacas, and my feet were cold, so it was probably a fluke that day!

Back