ALICE Frame

I carried one of those horrible frames for the last 17 years and I often thought about shortening it but never got around to it. I am sure it'd get a bit "stronger" if you shortened it up. Why do you want to modify it?

Horrible horrible devices.

Wore won for a dozen years, and still use one occasionally to hike beaver or 'cat gear into a tucked away spot.

Gitmo prisoners getting water boarded have it better than a grunt wearing an ALICE.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Grunt who wore one lots here too. I am frameless and need something to do. I have one bolted to my canine trap basket and one bolted to my water trapping basket. I have two mediums and one large ruck all in need of frames. The MOLLE II belt improves it considerably. I did a ruck run today with two 25# plates and it was aweful. I am fixing to put 3/4 plywood inside to lengthen the distance between the upper and lower strap attachment points.

Just a suggestion. I'd look to the Downeast 1606AC frame (AC=Alice Compatible) before I'd go with the old Alice frame. I'm using one on my Nimrod setup.
Hunt'nFish

OP
Brandon Pattison
Just a suggestion. I'd look to the Downeast 1606AC frame (AC=Alice Compatible) before I'd go with the old Alice frame. I'm using one on my Nimrod setup.
Hunt'nFish

I looked it up. I have heard that these are better but they break in the cold weather with a heavy load if dropped.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
There are so many better options, even on a small budget . . .

Uncle Sam had me wearing one for years. Just terrible.

Like what? I don't have the funds to buy Duplex or Bikini frames for my two trapping rigs plus a PT frame for carrying heavy stuff long distances. I have a Bikini en route but I refuse to leave it at work or have it off of the bag for PT.

Today I took a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it 17" long x 12" on top x 13" on bottom (to match the internal bag dimensions of my medium ALICE pack. I drilled a hole in it for a bolt and bolted the two 25# plates to it. I slipped it inside my bag and cinched er on down. I will do another ruck run Friday to see how it feels. It has a piece of commercial carpet on the back that touches my back for padding. Ruck runs leave holes in your skin.

If this setup sucks I will most like ditch the bag and use just the plywood and attach the straps like a pack board.

If that sucks I will shorten an ALICE frame and go from there. I have a set of straps and belt from the days when I sold Blackhawk! gear.

Keep in mind that this is only for suffering for PT and nothing more.

OP
Brandon Pattison
equpagup.jpg

50# rig

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Just curious, why would you need to take your Bikini off the bag for PT? I use my Bikini with Highcamp bag for PT. I like to work out with useful stuff in my pack, just in case I need it, so load my Highcamp with a wool blanket at the bottom, and then put a mix of water, jacket, and useful gear on top until I hit 25-50 pounds. The military might tell you to carry rocks, but gear is much more useful (IMHO).

OP
Brandon Pattison
I run my rangefinder and GPS on my belt and try to PT at work on lunch and we all know those aren't cheap. Too many people to trust. Steel plates, rocks or sand bags might put unnecessary stress on my pack too. Plus I work in hippy-rich environment and would rather blend in. I would rather keep my hunting gear in tip top shape and have holes in my PT/work stuff.

unm1136

WKR
I have been PTing in an Alice frame with Med bag. Right now training hikes are sub 5 milers, and it really makes me appreciate the Duplex frame when its time to go. I want the crappy, painful frame for Training Hard and toughening up, then using the better carrying frame for the hunt for more comfort. I can also replace the Alice for about $25.00 on fleabay if need be. Adding water and 42# bags of cat litter serves as ballast.

pat

OP
Brandon Pattison
I have been PTing in an Alice frame with Med bag. Right now training hikes are sub 5 milers, and it really makes me appreciate the Duplex frame when its time to go. I want the crappy, painful frame for Training Hard and toughening up, then using the better carrying frame for the hunt for more comfort. I can also replace the Alice for about $25.00 on fleabay if need be. Adding water and 42# bags of cat litter serves as ballast.

pat

Nice. I have the same mentality. I like to use steel plates in the radio pouch as they are more compact and the load pulls down more instead of away. Do you use a belt?

chorpie

FNG
You want to shorten an ALICE frame? They're already short enough.... And uncomfortable enough as well!

Ben

WKR
I had an ALICE and loved it. I used it over my MOLLIE often. If I remember correctly, the ALICE was designed for the 'average' American male that stood at 5ft 10 inches.

eyetat

FNG
I am 6.0 foot and the ALICE pack fits good for bug out me and for the wife a LIBE or smaller living on a hill a tornado could take the house out.:eek: