What duck call should I get?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just getting into duck hunting, there are lots of different calls out there.

Which one should I get? Budget isn’t an issue, I’d like to get ones I’ll be happy with for a long time rather than buying cheap stuff that I’ll want to replace relatively quickly.

Thanks!!!

KurtR

WKR
Just getting into duck hunting, there are lots of different calls out there.

Which one should I get? Budget isn’t an issue, I’d like to get ones I’ll be happy with for a long time rather than buying cheap stuff that I’ll want to replace relatively quickly.

Thanks!!!
Well I like my zink but it’s like having Jimi Hendrix guitar you still can’t play it like him. Learn on a cheap single read and when you advance in calling abilities and learn what you like in a call then I would spend the money. I’m not much of a duck caller so I got a zink power hen ph2 off Camo fire for like 50 bucks. When to call is more important than the call. Tips and tails. Now goose calls I like blowing those and practice about every night

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well I like my zink but it’s like having Jimi Hendrix guitar you still can’t play it like him. Learn on a cheap single read and when you advance in calling abilities and learn what you like in a call then I would spend the money. I’m not much of a duck caller so I got a zink power hen ph2 off Camo fire for like 50 bucks. When to call is more important than the call. Tips and tails. Now goose calls I like blowing those and practice about every night
Makes sense, I’m just realizing that it takes more than just blowing into a call.

Why do you prefer goose calls over duck calling?

Taudisio

WKR
I have owned and tried a ton of calls and helped a lot of people start. By far and away the best starter duck call is the buck gardner double nasty II.
For goose call, it’s the zink power clucker.

$60 will get you started and both calls are easy to blow and sound good, and will still run when wet.

ianpadron

WKR
Boy that's a bottomless pit...so many great options from 10 bucks all the way up into the $2-300 range.

My 2 favorite calls are ironically 2 of my cheapest, a Buck Gardner Spitfire I scooped on clearance for like 20 bucks and some cool plastic double reed a fella from Arkansas threw me for giving him a few bird/fish spots to try while he was working up in MT.

I'd start out with a double reed from Buck Gardner, Echo, Zink etc until you get good enough to know what you're looking for, and then go blow some real coin on a custom that'll look nice on your lanyard and is designed around your calling preferences.

What kind of habitat are you hunting? Assuming if AK big open salt marshes but could be wrong. That'll play a big role in the type of call you want

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Boy that's a bottomless pit...so many great options from 10 bucks all the way up into the $2-300 range.

My 2 favorite calls are ironically 2 of my cheapest, a Buck Gardner Spitfire I scooped on clearance for like 20 bucks and some cool plastic double reed a fella from Arkansas threw me for giving him a few bird/fish spots to try while he was working up in MT.

I'd start out with a double reed from Buck Gardner, Echo, Zink etc until you get good enough to know what you're looking for, and then go blow some real coin on a custom that'll look nice on your lanyard and is designed around your calling preferences.

What kind of habitat are you hunting? Assuming if AK big open salt marshes but could be wrong. That'll play a big role in the type of call you want
I’m so new to this that it’s got my head spinning, a buddy of mine hooked me up with some decoys, I’ve bombed a bunch of $$$ on a few shotguns, I already have a boat so that’s good.

As far as habitat, it could be anything from sitting on a bluff overlooking the sea, to hitting islands along a river to hiking or packrafting into smaller lakes to open lakes that are 30 miles long. I haven’t really done enough to narrow it down to an area to focus on but lots of options here.

Right now my goals are to:
-shoot a bunch of skeet
-check out areas to see what like
-practice calling

KurtR

WKR
Makes sense, I’m just realizing that it takes more than just blowing into a call.

Why do you prefer goose calls over duck calling?
I can get geese to react more. Here it’s more about the spinner and being on the x. I give the ducks a few quacks on the turn or if they are going away. With the geese I can call them right into the ground and convince them it’s the place to be. I really like calling at specks but that call is a whole nother animal. Still trying to get it perfected.

Taudisio

WKR
Un-pressured geese and ducks can easily be persuaded to come into decoys with calls (which I assume is most of Alaska). Birds that have been called to/hunted know where they want to go and you have to be on the X. Once you learn how to use some back pressure with the calls, they all get pretty easy. Learning to identify ducks while they are flying will also help a lot. Whistling to a widgeon or pintail is a lot more effective than mallard quacking at them. I will not go duck hunting without a mallard hen call, a Canadian goose, and a whistle, (and a speck call if they are a potential). You can call to multiple species with the first 3. A mallard call will obviously call in mallards, but you can imitate diver ducks, teal, spoonbills, and gadwall. Canadian goose call can be blown like a snow goose. The whistle can do pintail, wigeon, wood ducks, drake mallard, and teal.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Un-pressured geese and ducks can easily be persuaded to come into decoys with calls (which I assume is most of Alaska). Birds that have been called to/hunted know where they want to go and you have to be on the X. Once you learn how to use some back pressure with the calls, they all get pretty easy. Learning to identify ducks while they are flying will also help a lot. Whistling to a widgeon or pintail is a lot more effective than mallard quacking at them. I will not go duck hunting without a mallard hen call, a Canadian goose, and a whistle, (and a speck call if they are a potential). You can call to multiple species with the first 3. A mallard call will obviously call in mallards, but you can imitate diver ducks, teal, spoonbills, and gadwall. Canadian goose call can be blown like a snow goose. The whistle can do pintail, wigeon, wood ducks, drake mallard, and teal.
What does “on the x” mean?

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Birds in AK don’t need much calling. Mostly just try to draw their attention to your decoys. A double reed call is good for learning, but timing is what you’ll learn as you go. The x (where the birds are using) in AK isn’t much of a thing……you can pretty much figure out where the birds are flying and put yourself in the path. The x applied to field hunting would be the spot birds are feeding. If you find birds feeding in a particular spot, then set up on that spot the next day, that’s hunting the x.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Birds in AK don’t need much calling. Mostly just try to draw their attention to your decoys. A double reed call is good for learning, but timing is what you’ll learn as you go. The x (where the birds are using) in AK isn’t much of a thing……you can pretty much figure out where the birds are flying and put yourself in the path. The x applied to field hunting would be the spot birds are feeding. If you find birds feeding in a particular spot, then set up on that spot the next day, that’s hunting the x.
Right on, thanks for the explanation,