Alec Baldwin shooting

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
They don’t typically use dummy rounds on sets, they use blanks. There would be no point in a dummy round as it would never be seen.
There were supposed to be dummy rounds in the gun.

Dummies are used for a new where actors load guns, eject live rounds (or sometimes "empties", oops), or point a loaded revolver at the camera. I can make a nice compilation of those kinds of shots if you like. Take 2 seconds and I think you can remember some. Or watch/read any interview by an actual propmaster that's come out in the last few days, most if not all have talked about how they use dummy rounds on set.

Maybe, just maybe those armorers have a process that works when it's followed, and only failed because it wasn't followed.

Another IATSE armorer and FFL holder did a writeup here:
You probably watched something he's worked on. Chicago Fire and Chicago Med are ongoing projects for him. Don't need facebook to read it, he walks you through the how and why and what went wrong.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
if I look at what is suppose to be a blank and it looks like a live round, I don't shoot it towards someone that's for sure.
And to repeat myself, per the people on set including the AD, it was not supposed to be a blank. It was supposed to be a dummy round. A dummy round is not a blank. A dummy round contains a projectile and inert primer (sometimes rubber, sometimes just a solid piece of aluminum) in order to visually look identical to a live round.

To the "I would shake it" people, congrats, you would pull the trigger on a live round with a 100% or compressed case fill thinking it was a dummy. Given that the gun int his case was a .45 Colt, the odds of a 100% fill load (trailboss/tinstar) are pretty good.

By my count we have 2 people who don't know a dummy from a blank, and one person who would have dropped the hammer if the live round was a compressed load assuming shaking it was enough. This is why "Have the actors who can manage to trip over a line drawn in chalk check the guns" is not an added layer of protection, and why the other protocols exist. To repeat myself, protocols which if the propmaster and 1AD had followed, nobody would have been hurt.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A wad cutter is a live lead round which does not look like a traditional bullet and can very well b e mistaken for a blank or dummy round.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
One has a projectile and one doesn’t.
These are dummy rounds. Some even have fake primers that do not look struck. Some have holes. There are some that are impossible to tell without a scale, knowledge of markings, or having been the person who made them. This is why there is an armorer on set and why the "why was there live ammo on set" crowd is 100% right.

Attachments

• 100_5076-300x300[182].jpg
    100_5076-300x300[182].jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 43
I know it’s bad for us in the long run but I can’t be the only one that is laughing hysterically about the situation. Karma is a cold calculating bitch, haha.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Would it be out of the question when pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger
that you might take a few practice snaps at the ground to make sure your not going to
kill someone? You know, to make sure they're "dummy rounds". Or does that take up too
much time?

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Would it be out of the question when pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger
that you might take a few practice snaps at the ground to make sure your not going to
kill someone? You know, to make sure they're "dummy rounds". Or does that take up too
much time?
Six would have been the magic number in this case.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
These are dummy rounds. Some even have fake primers that do not look struck. Some have holes. There are some that are impossible to tell without a scale, knowledge of markings, or having been the person who made them. This is why there is an armorer on set and why the "why was there live ammo on set" crowd is 100% right.
Those are one example of dummy rounds. there are blanks which closely resemble dummy rounds. Like I have stated there are live rounds which look like blanks, wad cutters, not semi-wad cutters, which look like and are actually bullets, Both wad cutters and semi-wad cutters are typify used for target practice. Sound familiar. To those not familiar with wad cutters, they could easily mistake them for blanks. Sound familiar.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Those are one example of dummy rounds. there are blanks which closely resemble dummy rounds. Like I have stated there are live rounds which look like blanks, wad cutters, not semi-wad cutters, which look like and are actually bullets, Both wad cutters and semi-wad cutters are typify used for target practice. Sound familiar. To those not familiar with wad cutters, they could easily mistake them for blanks. Sound familiar.
Knowing all this there should never be a situation where an armorer goes on a podcast and says she was scared loading blanks and had to have her father show her how. This is a person who did not even remotely have the skillset to be the person in charge. The assistant director also should have never been able to access the firearm without the armorer present.
To me this situation is like range cadre passing out a few thousand rounds then going to lunch. The person who is supposed to be in control was not. At seemingly every single step.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Knowing all this there should never be a situation where an armorer goes on a podcast and says she was scared loading blanks and had to have her father show her how. This is a person who did not even remotely have the skillset to be the person in charge. The assistant director also should have never been able to access the firearm without the armorer present.
To me this situation is like range cadre passing out a few thousand rounds then going to lunch. The person who is supposed to be in control was not. At seemingly every single step.
Again I agreee she should not have been on set with her lack of knowledge and confidence. Now the questions is, who hired her for the job, did she get in because of her dads reputation. I would not hire an apprentice and expect him/her to have the skills to do given task. I don't agree with those who say Baldwin should do time behind bars, but he does bear some responsibility. Why was he even pointing at her? I know some say for camera angle/effect, but right at her. I would think if the shot required that effect, shooting in the direction of the camera not at the people behind it would serve the purpose.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Again I agreee she should not have been on set with her lack of knowledge and confidence. Now the questions is, who hired her for the job, did she get in because of her dads reputation. I would not hire an apprentice and expect him/her to have the skills to do given task. I don't agree with those who say Baldwin should do time behind bars, but he does bear some responsibility. Why was he even pointing at her? I know some say for camera angle/effect, but right at her. I would think if the shot required that effect, shooting in the direction of the camera not at the people behind it would serve the purpose.
Her dad was absolutely the reason she was hired. Baldwin i believe was practicing quick draw. Its a pistol, so there is a really good chance he was heel slapping the hammer on that single action from the hip and the barrel ended up pointing to the left of where he intended when it went off. There are more questions than answers.

woods89

WKR
There were supposed to be dummy rounds in the gun.

Dummies are used for a new where actors load guns, eject live rounds (or sometimes "empties", oops), or point a loaded revolver at the camera. I can make a nice compilation of those kinds of shots if you like. Take 2 seconds and I think you can remember some. Or watch/read any interview by an actual propmaster that's come out in the last few days, most if not all have talked about how they use dummy rounds on set.

Maybe, just maybe those armorers have a process that works when it's followed, and only failed because it wasn't followed.

Another IATSE armorer and FFL holder did a writeup here:
You probably watched something he's worked on. Chicago Fire and Chicago Med are ongoing projects for him. Don't need facebook to read it, he walks you through the how and why and what went wrong.
Thanks for posting that. It answered a lot of my questions.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Her dad was absolutely the reason she was hired. Baldwin i believe was practicing quick draw. Its a pistol, so there is a really good chance he was heel slapping the hammer on that single action from the hip and the barrel ended up pointing to the left of where he intended when it went off. There are more questions than answers.
Not to be a nit picker but it was a revolver, not a pistol, there is a difference. But, don't be to hard on yourself, lots of people don't know that. My brother who was a fair quick draw, shot himself in the leg during a competition. He did not win. True story. 1953 Ruger single six, which is now mine.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Not to be a nit picker but it was a revolver, not a pistol, there is a difference. But, don't be to hard on yourself, lots of people don't know that. My brother who was a fair quick draw, shot himself in the leg during a competition. He did not win. True story. 1953 Ruger single six, which is now mine.
A pistol is a firearm designed to be held with one hand. It is a blanket term that covers flint locks, percussion, revolvers and auto loaders. All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers...not to nitpick.

(in comes the guy with the shoulder stock and 20" barrel on his revolver)

edit for reference