Alaskans

For those of you who live in Alaska how do you normally get to your sheep spot?
Moved up here last year so this year I can actually hunt. Was going to drive a trail system as far back as I can. However, guys at work are advising against that. They're saying if I leave my vehicle on any trail for more than a day I'm likely to come back to it on blocks, windows smashed in or it not even being there.

Experiences??

Depends on where you are planning on leaving it I guess…. but probably not a huge concern. People leave vehicles at put-ins and takeouts all the time, for all sorts of outdoor adventures. Some places are notorious for that sort of thing, most places non-issue. Don’t leave a bunch of valuable stuff in there.

Most people drive a highway vehicle to the spot where they get on a plane, launch a boat, unload their wheeler, or start hiking. Then the vehicle sits there for a couple weeks.

I’m also new to sheep hunting up here and am kind of in the same boat as you. I’ve left my truck in less than desirable places for a few nights and it was fine. For a longer type hunt I recommend having someone drop you off.

OP
HuntInWild88
I’m also new to sheep hunting up here and am kind of in the same boat as you. I’ve left my truck in less than desirable places for a few nights and it was fine. For a longer type hunt I recommend having someone drop you off.
The issue with that for my particular situation is the trail I'm planning on going up can only be accessed by 4 wheeler, sxs, or well built off road rigs. There zero chance I'm letting my wife take my jeep up and down that trail.

cubguy

FNG
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about leaving a vehicle anywhere in AK. Just be as respectful as possible. The chance is so small anything would happen it’s not worth worrying over. Focus on finding a ram that is legal two out of the 3 methods. If you come out with such a ram the state of your vehicle cannot ruin such a moment. Good luck this fall!

OP
HuntInWild88
Sounds like you've got your mode of transportation figured out then. I'm also working on my ppl. Do you own a plane?
I don't own one unfortunately. I wish I was going to have my ppl finished by sheep season but it's not going happen.