Alaskan Snow Crab Season Canceled

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I heard about that. A buddy from Alaska told me about it when we were on the phone on Friday. He was saying they don’t know yet but he thinks it has to do with the insane warming the state has seen in the last few years. According to him it’s unprecedented warming for the state.

MattB

WKR
Crazy stuff, in an article I ready they are estimating a billion crabs disappeared. They suggested they may have moved to deeper water or headed north for cooler water, but the simple premise is hard to comprehend.

Catchfish

WKR
yeah it’s been happening for a couple of years now, I’m pretty sure this is the 2nd season the king crab fishery has been closed.
another thing I noticed was king crab for sale in the L48 last year for fresh Alaska king crab when I knew that season has been closed that year. Either fresh May mean a year old or Alaska means something else. But buyers should be aware of this when purchasing crab.

Broomd

WKR
I heard about that. A buddy from Alaska told me about it when we were on the phone on Friday. He was saying they don’t know yet but he thinks it has to do with the insane warming the state has seen in the last few years. According to him it’s unprecedented warming for the state.
"Insane warming"...wonder what the mean temperature difference was in those waters? .3 degrees warmer? I realize that context is everything.

I've never read more articles than this year about uncovered/ice thawed ancient hunters arrows, lost/thawed planes, uncovered 1000 year old glacier-receded goat trails, etc. All of which indicate that they were heretofore ONCE THAWED. They then received tons of snow and were frozen over--until now.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
"Insane warming"...wonder what the mean temperature difference was in those waters? .3 degrees warmer? I realize that context is everything.

I've never read more articles than this year about uncovered/ice thawed ancient hunters arrows, lost/thawed planes, uncovered 1000 year old glacier-receded goat trails, etc. All of which indicate that they were heretofore ONCE THAWED. They then received tons of snow and were frozen over--until now.
Don’t know. Just know he’s been there since he was born in 1985 and I trust what he says.

yeah it’s been happening for a couple of years now, I’m pretty sure this is the 2nd season the king crab fishery has been closed.
another thing I noticed was king crab for sale in the L48 last year for fresh Alaska king crab when I knew that season has been closed that year. Either fresh May mean a year old or Alaska means something else. But buyers should be aware of this when purchasing crab.
A lot of Russian crab displaced the Alaska King crab in the market....

z987k

WKR
It's the bottom trawlers(and the mid-water guys that bottom trawl illegally) that bottom trawl over the crab breeding grounds killing everything and not letting anything live there again for decades. They're trying to push it off on global warming, which is a thing, but has little to nothing to do with this issue. They'll keep pushing this as global warming as long as they can. It's not the cause.

The bottom trawlers have already caught, killed and thrown back more crab this year than the limit for crab fishermen has been any year the last decade.
And it's not just crab. They're collapsing the salmon and halibut fisheries as well. More or less the same reason. Insane by-catch and habitat destruction.

Banning the bottom trawlers is the #1 thing that we need to happen for Alaska. It will eventually effect our hunting as well.(It'll take a good while, but salmon are the nitrogen that allow us to have vegetation for moose, bou, etc to eat. And of course the salmon for bears.) The Yukon River Salmon fishery has already completely collapsed.

Our representatives are starting to care due to pressure, but it'd be really nice if we could get the rest of the country to care, because it's a Federal fishery. The representatives in CA, WA, and OR are in the pockets of the industry and couldn't be screwing us more if they tried. Some of ours are as well, to very much include our current Governor.
They are so destructive, honestly we need the boats sunk so they can't go destroy another ecosystem if we manage to ban them. Which is what they've done. The boats that trawl up here used to be on the east coast until they collapsed their fishery there(and then they were banned). Then they moved to the west coast, and collapsed the fishery there(and then they were banned). Now they're in Alaska, collapsing the fisheries here, we need to ban them before they collapse ours.

Last edited:

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Same thing is happening in Louisianna with the menhaden boats destroying the redfish and speckled trout fishery. They rape and pillage right off the beach and leave behind a floating trail of bycatch and then claim they don't do any harm. They are in the pockets of the politicians and it's sickening.

Water temps are dependent upon the currents that bring water in. Alaska gets its water from the western north pacific (Japan & Kamchatka). Ambient temp has little to do with water temps, if it did the west coast and down to Mexico wouldn’t have cold water. If the state has been having insane warming why are there posts in the moose/sheep forums complaining about long hard winters the last couple years?

z987k covered the real issue behind the disappearance of the crabs.

KBaird

FNG

The Bering isn’t the only crab fishery in the state.

jmez

WKR
It's the bottom trawlers(and the mid-water guys that bottom trawl illegally) that bottom trawl over the crab breeding grounds killing everything and not letting anything live there again for decades. They're trying to push it off on global warming, which is a thing, but has little to nothing to do with this issue. They'll keep pushing this as global warming as long as they can. It's not the cause.

The bottom trawlers have already caught, killed and thrown back more crab this year than the limit for crab fishermen has been any year the last decade.
And it's not just crab. They're collapsing the salmon and halibut fisheries as well. More or less the same reason. Insane by-catch and habitat destruction.

Banning the bottom trawlers is the #1 thing that we need to happen for Alaska. It will eventually effect our hunting as well.(It'll take a good while, but salmon are the nitrogen that allow us to have vegetation for moose, bou, etc to eat. And of course the salmon for bears.) The Yukon River Salmon fishery has already completely collapsed.

Our representatives are starting to care due to pressure, but it'd be really nice if we could get the rest of the country to care, because it's a Federal fishery. The representatives in CA, WA, and OR are in the pockets of the industry and couldn't be screwing us more if they tried. Some of ours are as well, to very much include our current Governor.
They are so destructive, honestly we need the boats sunk so they can't go destroy another ecosystem if we manage to ban them. Which is what they've done. The boats that trawl up here used to be on the east coast until they collapsed their fishery there(and then they were banned). Then they moved to the west coast, and collapsed the fishery there(and then they were banned). Now they're in Alaska, collapsing the fisheries here, we need to ban them before they collapse ours.
Doesn't fit the narrative. Please stop.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Coming shortly a Deadliest Catch series on the climate crisis ruining the crab fishery.

I've noticed the medial now uses the term climate crisis rather than climate change.

Yoder

WKR
I call it Climapocalypse. We are all absolutely going to die. Eventually. I mean in the 20-1000 years it will take for the oceans to slowly rise and cover some of the coastline. Hopefully we will be able to just walk slowly away from the ocean and we'll be ok.

def90

WKR

Just curious, what's the bottom trawler/salmon link? Is it a food source/supply issue?