Alaska Spring Bear 2022

Group of guys looking to go to Alaska on a spring black bear hunt in 2022 With not having a tag for Kuiu or POW looking to go to Price William Sound (Whittier). Would like to do a boat based hunt that we can also fish. Wondering if anyone has some recent experience with bear numbers in the Prince William Sound in the past couple years. Also wondering if there are any transporters anyone would recommend. We are thinking the 3-4th week in May as the best time to go.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add my .02 here. From my experience hunting outer PWS, the past two years I have seen good bear numbers. Last year was the best I can recall, 12-14 bears in two nights of hunting during the first week of June. Some of that can also probably be attributed to learning the country better, and finding which beaches/flats have better activity.

I've been hunting black bears for about 4-5 years in PWS now for reference. So I don't have any firsthand experience on what the hunting was like in the "heyday" prior to the Whittier tunnel opening, and what ultimately lead to a decrease in the black bear population and making this a registration hunt. If you are planning on booking with a transporter, they will likely have the capability to get further away from Whittier, where you see most of the local pressure. You might also consider looking into transporters/outfitters in Valdez, Cordova, or even Homer (although not PWS). Transporters from any of these towns can likely offer a great combo fishing/hunting experience. I know there are several to pick from out of Homer.

I know everyone likes pictures, so here's a couple bears from the "heyday" of PWS black bear hunting. Prince William Sound is one of my favorite places in the world, but I stopped hunting it because I was tired of my shrimp pots being robbed and the insane number of boats and hunters that has proliferated out there.

It is an amazing place, and I certainly hope the bear population has stabilized and increased since they made it a registration hunt, but I sure miss the pre tunnel days.

tala8ep.jpg

0y1vzMO.png

AKSandman

FNG
@Frontier Mule
Contact Alaska’s Valhalla Guide Service. They hunt off of a nice sized liveaboard and you can halibut fish when you aren’t chasing bruins! Drew is a top notch guide, and they hunt some less pressured areas just outside of PWS.

OP
Frontier Mulie
Thank you for all the suggestions. We are looking at leaving Whittier going on on a big boat. Hoping to get away from most people but not sure how hard that would be? As far as equipment for this type of hunt would you recommend waders/wading pants or just muck style boots?

RiceTc

FNG
Group of guys looking to go to Alaska on a spring black bear hunt in 2022 With not having a tag for Kuiu or POW looking to go to Price William Sound (Whittier). Would like to do a boat based hunt that we can also fish. Wondering if anyone has some recent experience with bear numbers in the Prince William Sound in the past couple years. Also wondering if there are any transporters anyone would recommend. We are thinking the 3-4th week in May as the best time to go.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I have a group of 4 guys that are wanting to do a boat based hunt like you but out of homer. I’m also looking for recommendations on transporters.

Bjorn16

FNG
I know everyone likes pictures, so here's a couple bears from the "heyday" of PWS black bear hunting. Prince William Sound is one of my favorite places in the world, but I stopped hunting it because I was tired of my shrimp pots being robbed and the insane number of boats and hunters that has proliferated out there.

It is an amazing place, and I certainly hope the bear population has stabilized and increased since they made it a registration hunt, but I sure miss the pre tunnel days.

tala8ep.jpg

0y1vzMO.png
Those are great looking boars!

So, I heard or read, but confirm for yourself. That because the BS in the world the 2020 season was canceled and those that had tags get to use them in 2022??? So not sure there will be tags available for non-residence.
We drew this years tags and are going up in a week. Will let you know how it goes when we return.

So, I heard or read, but confirm for yourself. That because the BS in the world the 2020 season was canceled and those that had tags get to use them in 2022??? So not sure there will be tags available for non-residence.
We drew this years tags and are going up in a week. Will let you know how it goes when we return.
well?

Great hunt. 4 hunter 4 nice black bear. My cape squared 7' and head was 20 7/16. Son's bear was 20 3/8 and was very old. We couldn't square his because we skinned it for a chest mount. 2nd & 3rd pics are my son's.

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPEG
    IMG_3435.JPEG
    540.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210528_194652.jpg
    20210528_194652.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4207-1.JPEG
    IMG_4207-1.JPEG
    191.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3914-1.JPEG
    IMG_3914-1.JPEG
    353.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 98

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Great hunt. 4 hunter 4 nice black bear. My cape squared 7' and head was 20 7/16. Son's bear was 20 3/8 and was very old. We couldn't square his because we skinned it for a chest mount. 2nd & 3rd pics are my son's.
Nice bears! These are Prince William Sound bears or Southeast AK?

elkmtn

FNG
Excellent!
Agreed!

tala8ep.jpg

0y1vzMO.png
Nice!
Those are great looking boars!
Agreed!