Alaska Sheep, 19C Working Group

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Why doesn’t this God just fix the sheep issue? God must hate dall sheep and dall sheep hunters.

You might want to look at the draw areas a little closer after church tomorrow. Tok is down to 10 tags, delta is down and look at 13D. Not to mention the other hunts in 14.

One fact is true, sheep populations started going down with the small caliber fad took off.

Maybe wounding loss is real…
Tok/Delta areas have had some of the worst winters in the state in the past few years, see the Delta Bison herd status. I’m not a fan of the small caliber fad either, but I’m also not ready to attribute a plummet in population level numbers to the Creedmoor boys. Correlation doesn’t equal causation, check out how closely the fall of high seas piracy correlates with average global temperature levels. Did pirates secretly keep global warming at bay?

I’m sure wound loss happens, no doubt about that.

AK4

FNG
The sheep in alaskas 14c were doing quite well, last I spoke with the biologist for that area - summer 2023
14C sheep are doing quite well compared to what? 2 years ago? because 15 years ago i could see sheep from my front yard nearly every day. not anymore.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
14C sheep are doing quite well compared to what? 2 years ago? because 15 years ago i could see sheep from my front yard nearly every day. not anymore.
All I have was what the biologist told me - that they were doing well. Maybe that is in context to the rest of the state. Comparing survey data from 15 years ago would be interesting

FAAFO

WKR
Tok/Delta areas have had some of the worst winters in the state in the past few years, see the Delta Bison herd status. I’m not a fan of the small caliber fad either, but I’m also not ready to attribute a plummet in population level numbers to the Creedmoor boys. Correlation doesn’t equal causation, check out how closely the fall of high seas piracy correlates with average global temperature levels. Did pirates secretly keep global warming at bay?

I’m sure wound loss happens, no doubt about that.
I don’t care what caliber someone uses to kill a sheep. I guess I should have put a 🤣 after it.

I don’t think wounding loss on sheep is even close to an issue. Not even top 100. I just decided to do a DIY, non computer, 0 miles walked, 1.5 ft of elevation gain (couch) fishing trip. Fishing was good.

If you think wounding loss is an issue you might want to take some self reflection of the circle you run in. Maybe take that circle to the range. Sheep are the biggest pussies once hit with a bullet. Not hard to kill at all. Fact.

Reactions: AK4

FAAFO

WKR
All I have was what the biologist told me - that they were doing well. Maybe that is in context to the rest of the state. Comparing survey data from 15 years ago would be interesting
That biologist was probably day dreaming. It seems like that’s they do down there most the time.

I remember going in and talking to biologists as a kid and they were always tanned and looked like they spent a lot of time outdoors. Walk in to our ADFG office in Palmer or Anchorage and it looks like fricking Halloween every day. They are all bright white and look like the only time they go outside is when they drive home. They all look like ghosts. It’s a true haunted house feeling. Bunch of dead animals hanging from the past, it’s down right scary.

Trick or treat? Those biologists tricked us good.

RiP dall sheep

Last edited:

Bambistew

WKR
The total number of FC rams counted in 14c last year was less than the entire harvest 15 years ago.

Sheep are not doing well anywhere. If you want to see a real doozy. Look up the population in 13D vs harvest.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
The total number of FC rams counted in 14c last year was less than the entire harvest 15 years ago.

Sheep are not doing well anywhere. If you want to see a real doozy. Look up the population in 13D vs harvest.
I have been following 13D closely and it is way down

The comment on 14c may have been in comparison to other areas but I haven’t kept as close tabs on it because I haven’t drawn for it