Alaska Sheep, 19C Working Group

OP
W

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a study or link for the 70% mortality number?

I went in search of source data for that recollection and came up with the following:

deevey.jpeg

wendling.jpeg

So based on these two studies (Deevey and Murie), mortality rates from ages 8-9 were 10% and 23% respectively, and then 16% and 43% from ages 9-10?

Not sure where I pulled that 70% number from. I think the it was likely the graph below that showed approximately 70% of rams born are dead by age 9. Sorry for the fake news on that anyhow.

manage.jpeg

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
In years past when there were more rams on the mountain, sub-legal harvest was less of a concern. These days, every ram matters and 10-15 percent of the overall number of dead rams being sub-legal is not cool. Typically about 1/3 of the sub legals are taken by guided clients.
You say every ram matters but that goes against the full curl management plan which you said you agreed with in an earlier post?

The sublegal % hasn’t increased with less rams on the mountain. If you have an issue with sublegal harvest you have an issue with full curl management.

More mature rams post hunt couldn’t hurt and maybe is needed more than ever with such low sheep populations.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to see access restrictions first before we have any other type of restriction. Make it more difficult to kill rams.

After access restrictions I believe an adjustment of the seasons would be in order.

Easier adjustments to give the placebo effect that the SOA is doing anything is likely the best route to take to ensure fullcurlfriday can still happen.

OP
W

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
You say every ram matters but that goes against the full curl management plan which you said you agreed with in an earlier post?

The sublegal % hasn’t increased with less rams on the mountain. If you have an issue with sublegal harvest you have an issue with full curl management.

More mature rams post hunt couldn’t hurt and maybe is needed more than ever with such low sheep populations.

I should have said every young ram matters.

I don’t quite follow your reasoning. There is a big difference between 4-6 year old rams dying and 8+ year old rams dying.

There are problems with full curl management in my mind, mainly that it doesn’t prevent 6-7 year old rams from dying in fairly significant numbers.

OP
W

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to see access restrictions first before we have any other type of restriction. Make it more difficult to kill rams.

After access restrictions I believe an adjustment of the seasons would be in order.

Easier adjustments to give the placebo effect that the SOA is doing anything is likely the best route to take to ensure fullcurlfriday can still happen.

Agreed 100% on access restrictions before loss of hunting opportunities.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I should have said every young ram matters.

I don’t quite follow your reasoning. There is a big difference between 4-6 year old rams dying and 8+ year old rams dying.

There are problems with full curl management in my mind, mainly that it doesn’t prevent 6-7 year old rams from dying in fairly significant numbers.
I believe you were correct when you said every ram matters. I would question anyone saying or believing there are “surplus” rams in a population. How could a study prove as such? One could argue because all the ewes are being breed? But that’s just a few weeks out of the year. Do the rams have no other value rest of the year?

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed 100% on access restrictions before loss of hunting opportunities.
In full honestly and transparency access restrictions are a loss of hunting opportunities for many. I don’t care though. Just like I don’t care to hear the story of a sheep hunt where a guy lands and walks a little ways and kills a ram.

OP
W

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
I believe you were correct when you said every ram matters. I would question anyone saying or believing there are “surplus” rams in a population. How could a study prove as such? One could argue because all the ewes are being breed? But that’s just a few weeks out of the year. Do the rams have no other value rest of the year?

I don’t disagree by any means. I’ve been representing what the managers have said and continue to say, not necessarily my personal opinions. Problem is we don’t really have any hard data or science to point to re: the value of old rams. Do we?

I think old rams do matter to the population in more ways than one. Senior leadership for the youngsters, spreading the stress of the rut around on more animals, good genetics, etc.

Sub-legal harvest stings in two ways, the population loses an animal that has a few quality years ahead to contribute to the herd, and hunters lose a chance at that animal when it is legal/mature.

I heard through the rumor mill that one of the sub-legals taken this year was by a dude that has killed 4 sub-legal sheep in the last handful of years. Stiffer penalties are long overdue.

Agreed on access restrictions equating to lost opportunities for some. That having been said, I’d greatly prefer to have to change my ways and means rather than not be able to hunt at all. Lesser of 2 evils IMO.

IBen

WKR
10 day season for non-res,
30 day season for residents.
Thats basically one sheep hunt per guide.
Also full curl managemnt needs to go. Rams should be 8+ years old and full curl. Lots of rams especially in areas within19c hit full curl at 6 and 7.