Alaska for a month

go_deep

WKR
My family is trying to figure out if we can make this happen this coming year, and I figured many of you could help with a few general things in the early stages of planning.
We'd drive from Wyoming to Alaska, so entering from the east side, and then drive down to Valdez, up to Fairbanks, Denali, and down to Anchorage. From there the vehicle would be sold and we'll fly home.
Original I was thinking early June thru first week of July, is this a good time, or should we move that forward into July more? We'd like to buy a fishing license for each of us and just randomly fish some rivers as we pass by, maybe from shore on a lake if we have access.
Will an AWD SUV be good, or is a 4x4 needed? We'll just be on main roads.
I'll have lots more questions in sure, but I'm biggest thing is getting work to let me go for that long, so I need a pretty specific time line and if the AWD SUV will suffice.

Appreciate any help you'll can give me!

tuffcity

WKR
Your current vehicle will be fine. Most likely your worst part of the drive will be from Burwash Landing , Yukon through Beaver Creek and part way to Fairbanks. That section of paved highway is a shit-show of pot holes and frost heaves.

I would suggest a new set of decent shocks before setting out on your adventure. Are you planning to take the Alcan or Cassiar route?

Depending on what kind of winter we have you might encounter occasional snow if you come up in early June so make sure you have good tires on too.

AKBorn

WKR
If it were me (I was born in Alaska and go there almost every year), I would pick June over July as there are less bugs and a few less people (although June is the start of heavy tourist traffic). An SUV is fine if you are sticking to the main roads. If you do choose to come in June, you may want to hit Valdez, then Anchorage, then Denali and Fairbanks last, as you could hit some relatively cooler weather in the Interior in early June and there will still be snow in some places.

If you are planning to stay in hotels and motels along the way, I would recommend making these reservations as soon as you get the go-ahead for your trip, and the sooner the better. Some of the better hotels and motels will already be booked for some dates in the summer. We had to extend our stay in AK this past June for 3 additional days, and we had to move out of the Anchorage hotel we were staying in for those 3 days, as there was no vacancy there (or at any other ANC hotel that I checked online).

Good luck and keep us posted -

Michael

VernAK

WKR
Not a lot of great roadside fishing in your Alaska portion. Are you camping? As mentioned the Alcan is rough from Kluane to Tok. I'd prefer July/August. If you have time, tour Yukon Territory a bit as it has far less tourist traffic. Drive into Atlin and Carcross or down to Skagway. Skagway is more interesting than Valdez IMO. If you feel adventurous, drive up to Dawson City and down the Taylor [Top-of-the World] . Whitehorse is an interesting town also.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
New suspension in the last year, so where good there. Planning on getting a full size rim from the junk yard with tire and strapping it on top in case of an unfixable flat tire.
Alcon based on maps so far, but any advantage disadvantage with that?

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
If it were me (I was born in Alaska and go there almost every year), I would pick June over July as there are less bugs and a few less people (although June is the start of heavy tourist traffic). An SUV is fine if you are sticking to the main roads. If you do choose to come in June, you may want to hit Valdez, then Anchorage, then Denali and Fairbanks last, as you could hit some relatively cooler weather in the Interior in early June and there will still be snow in some places.

If you are planning to stay in hotels and motels along the way, I would recommend making these reservations as soon as you get the go-ahead for your trip, and the sooner the better. Some of the better hotels and motels will already be booked for some dates in the summer. We had to extend our stay in AK this past June for 3 additional days, and we had to move out of the Anchorage hotel we were staying in for those 3 days, as there was no vacancy there (or at any other ANC hotel that I checked online).

Good luck and keep us posted -

Michael

Based on time and miles I think we need to stick with the route we have, but I'll look at maps and see if we can make it work.
I kind of figured options are limited for places to stay in certain areas, that's why I'm hoping to get something lined out soon.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
Not a lot of great roadside fishing in your Alaska portion. Are you camping? As mentioned the Alcan is rough from Kluane to Tok. I'd prefer July/August. If you have time, tour Yukon Territory a bit as it has far less tourist traffic. Drive into Atlin and Carcross or down to Skagway. Skagway is more interesting than Valdez IMO. If you feel adventurous, drive up to Dawson City and down the Taylor [Top-of-the World] . Whitehorse is an interesting town also.

I'll check out some of those areas, thanks!
The fishing is something to do, say we did it without spending a fortune on a guided fishing trip, maybe catch a couple meals.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Many right-on suggestions already from you guys.

I'm assuming that you're camping along the way (if not, some of what I'm suggesting may not be relevant for you). I'll simply add/endorse a few things...

I agree with Vern to spend some time in the YT, and make it part of your trip. The drive down to Skagway and Haines is worth it for the scenery alone. There's a stretch on the way to Skagway (before the long descent to town) that is remarkably unusual in topography. If you decide to go north to Dawson, be sure to drive a bit of the Dempster up to the Tombstone Mountain overlook...the Provincial campground there is good as well. The Provincial campgrounds are mostly really well done in the YT and usually have firewood, and the YT people I've met in the past 30+ years over there have been good folks. We've driven every road in the YT...some a dozen times or more! BTW...gas was always more expensive...even before the latest crazy prices.

I think the Cassiar route up through BC is far more scenic.

Regardless of which routes/roads you take for your trip up, just be sure to have good tires and for sure at least one full-sized tire on a rim for a spare. You'll get good at reading the frost heaves up ahead...as already noted there are some stretches of the drive that ALWAYS are heavily heaved...but it's interesting country.

Regarding timing for your month, I'd do late June to late July...the wx is likely better, but you never know. Buy a couple of Thermocells for the mosquitoes if camping...but they are totally useless with no-see-ums (those rascals come later in the summer).

Add Homer to your list of Alaska places to visit and see.

So much more to say but I'll stop here (already went too long!).

tuffcity

WKR
Alcon based on maps so far, but any advantage disadvantage with that?

Alcan (we refer to it as the Alaska Hwy) is usually a better road and a better chance of seeing wildlife, especially from Fort Nelson, BC to Watson Lake, YT. All the small gas stations should be open by then as well.

Bear in mind that there will be significant stretches of zero cell service once you get past Fort St. John, BC. Large gaps in Yukon as well but every small community has cell.

If you're camping, the links below will get you useful info. "Rec sites" in BC as usually first come and free, Provincial Parks are pay camping and some require reservations. Yukon parks are looked after quite well and are $20/night. "Crown Land" is our term for public land. You can camp on Crown Land (usually) for free.

The Top of the World Hwy opens June 1st and if you choose this route (via Dawson City to Tok) you'll miss a nasty chunk of road around Beaver Creek.

Lots of small streams (and bigger systems) in BC and Yukon to fish if you want. Get a multi day licence for both. BC, more so than Yukon, has a myriad of tackle regulations but if you stick to artificial lures with single, barbless hooks you can't go wrong... as long as the water body is open to fishing. :) Kluane National Park fishing is a whole different game, requires an additional licence, and quite frankly I wouldn't bother.

BC rec sites

Yukon campsites

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
Thank you everyone for all the information so far! Going to check into some of the other place mentioned. My wife will camping some, but not for a month, so mostly multi day rentals, hotels, motels, which is fine, it's freaking Alaska for a month, whatever the heck she wants!!

Get yourself the 2023 Milepost. It will give you a mile by mile to plan your trip. Lots of hotel and campgrounds in there that you may not find in an online search. It looks like the new one doesn't come out until March, but you could probably find a discounted one from 2022 online to start planning. The 2023 book will even give you all the construction projects and expected delays for the year. https://themilepost.com/

That and a copy of "The Highway Angler: Fishing Alaska's Road System" should give you a very good place to start looking at where you want to fish and when.

This is the first post-Covid year that unvaccinated vacationers have free rein to drive through Canada into Alaska. I already know of several groups of boomers making the drive. I predict AK will be a sh!tshow of traffic and tourists this summer, we shall see…

fatbacks

WKR
Might consider routing through Dawson City and top of the world highway as a route into Alaska from Yukon. Have only done it in the winter with a snow machine, but we are planning on doing it this summer with the camper

keller

WKR
I did it in 2016 was awesome. Camped along the way.lots to do and see of you want to talk pm me touch too type.

if doing the cassiar, make sure you pay attention to your gas situation. Many, many miles between gas stations. The cassiar is an amazing road. Alcan is "easier" but the cassiar is so scenic.

I went up the alcan and down the cassiar last time. I am driving up in Febuary.

Mojave

WKR
I have moved to Alaska lots of times.

Winter and Summer.

It is a cool drive.

Canadians don't have the same quantity and quality of t-shirts and hats like you can find in Alaska. Except in White Horse. At least they didn't the last time I drove up and down in 2014.

Slow down, if you are one of those people that always drives the speed limit plus 5-10. Just drive the speed limit in areas with ice heaves. If you want to end up dead down the bottom of a rivine go 5-10 over.