Alaska bear licenses

wyosteve

WKR
Looks like I might be heading back to Alaska for a bear hunt in the spring and can't seem to find the answers to my questions on the Game and Fish site. 2 questions- Do local (Anchorage) Cabelas, Barney's, etc. sell over the counter brown bear and black bear licenses and tags? And, does anyone know the methods of payment that are acceptable, i.e. does it have to be cash or will a credit card suffice. I know I can do it online and may go that route, but want to be prepared if that doesn't work out. Thanks for any help.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
your guide (brown bear) should be able to square you away. Residents can get over the counter tags for brown bear but it widely depends on GMU, non-res cannot hunt BB without a guide. Id start with ADFG so you are given 100% legit advice and guidance.

You wont get OTC tags for brown bear at commercial shops like you mentioned, as far as I know.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks Larry. Probably just as easy to go to the Game and Fish Office to get them it sounds like.

Htm84

WKR
Thanks Larry. Probably just as easy to go to the Game and Fish Office to get them it sounds like.
Not to start a weenie measuring contest but I don’t believe you need a harvest ticket for brown bear anywhere in the state. A few registration tag areas. Like Larry said your guides gonna know what you need to have for whatever area your going to. Sportsmans, cabelas etc usually have locking tags available. Fish and game is only open 9-5 I think. For black bears you can print the harvest ticket at home and grab a locking tag at pretty much any sporting goods store. Or you could buy it online and have them mail it to you. Which would probably be the smartest thing to do.