Alaska Air Cargo (what you need to know)

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A customer purchased a couple of raft pkgs, which I shipped from FBKS to Nashville, TN via Alaska Air Cargo. I'm a known shipper and have rarely had issues with shipments. However, be aware that policies aren't super clear about liability when you ship your gear.

Those two rafts disappeared somewhere between FBKS and Nashville. The shipment was sent freight collect Piority. I did NOT claim a value and did not ask for any insurance. To date, Alaska Airlines accepts zero responsibility claiming policy eliminates liability unless specific measures are taken during shipment drop off. Know the policy that safeguards your gear is the point. If you need to buy a little insurance do it.

Situation would be worse happening immediately prehunt.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Very sorry to hear that happened to you LB...thanks for the heads-up. I've had nothing but good experiences with Alaska Air Cargo over the years.

It's a good reminder to us all that sh*t happens (perhaps more so these days), so we need to be especially mindful...just a bummer to hear that you got burned. You have been so generously supportive of your fellow veterans, which I have personally appreciated from you as a long-time customer.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had good luck in the reliability department of AAC but their costs are outrageous. I had some bear claws cleaned up with beetles in anchorage and sent to me, the taxidermist sent them on alaska air cargo with a collect fee.

It cost me 83.00 to collect the package. Those could have gone in a usps flat rate box for 9 bucks.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
AAC in Fairbanks is like an entirely different company than in Anchorage. Nothing but good experiences shipping and receiving out of Anchorage, can't say the same for Fairbanks.

Dang, that blows.

I’m not sure how many hundreds of shipments I’ve had with them over the last several years for work, but never had an issue until last March. Shipped a pallet of gear and musk ox to Anchorage and asked the ramper in Bethel for plastic to wrap it. He said don’t worry and he’d take care of it. Pallet showed up in Anchorage unwrapped with my Arctic Oven poles missing. Same experience as Larry from that point forward. Ended up replacing them out of my pocket for $400. Really frustrating that a company worth $6 billion can’t stand behind their customers; especially ones that have given them so much business.

Been using Everets to ship moose from Bethel last couple years. I’ll stick with them and other small companies that care about their customers from now on.

bmrfish

WKR
That is brutal. Alaska Air really disappointing these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk