Alaknak Leaking Badly

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago. I bought an 10x10 Alaknak and used it on an elk hunt. We didn't get any rain but everything seemed to work great with no issues.

I really haven't had the opportunity to use it since and it's been sitting in climate controlled storage until today.

I set it up this afternoon at a campground for a deer hunt and immediately noticed it felt sticky everywhere on the inside. I thought that was weird but there's nothing I can do at this point. Well, fast forward a few hours and I'm laying here listening g to water drip EVERYWHERE inside the tent from a very light rain and not wind.

I doubt I can return it at this point so I need to figure out how to waterproof this thing. Has anyone had something like this happen or have any recommendations on how to fix it?

I had a tent, air mattress and a few other items that I stored in non climate controlled barn here in Texas for a few years and everything was sticky from the heat when I got it back out for use. Are you sure it was climate controled the whole time? I was able to clean most of it up but still not as nice as the stuff kept in doors. I try and keep all my nice gear stored inside now. Heat is a bitch on gear.

A few years ago. I bought an 10x10 Alaknak and used it on an elk hunt. We didn't get any rain but everything seemed to work great with no issues.

I really haven't had the opportunity to use it since and it's been sitting in climate controlled storage until today.

I set it up this afternoon at a campground for a deer hunt and immediately noticed it felt sticky everywhere on the inside. I thought that was weird but there's nothing I can do at this point. Well, fast forward a few hours and I'm laying here listening g to water drip EVERYWHERE inside the tent from a very light rain and not wind.

I doubt I can return it at this point so I need to figure out how to waterproof this thing. Has anyone had something like this happen or have any recommendations on how to fix it?
I would put a 10x 10 on it for the spot you're sleeping for now. 550 cord it down. Call Bass pro for care instructions and how long the warranty is for original owner.

Look up how guys are sealing tipi tents. Silicon from the hardware store and delute it to like honey and paint it in the seams.

found it to make your own seam sealer

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I had a tent, air mattress and a few other items that I stored in non climate controlled barn here in Texas for a few years and everything was sticky from the heat when I got it back out for use. Are you sure it was climate controled the whole time? I was able to clean most of it up but still not as nice as the stuff kept in doors. I try and keep all my nice gear stored inside now. Heat is a bitch on gear.
I pulled it out of the storage unit in Sept and put it in my insulated but not air conditioned shop. It's been plenty warm enough down here since. That may be what did it.

Last edited:
OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Last one from gear aid. I would use a mild soup (dawn to clean the areas) rinse with water and reseal seams
Appreciate all the info. I'm going to have to treat the entire tent, not just the seams.