AK Sheep, Population Observations

Thanks YK. Figured I’d save a call and just have @Mykolaivka887 speak for the biologists and ADF&G.

That’s super dismal. 5 rams? Yikes.

Not all units were hammered that hard, but 19C had a single digit resident success rate (9%).

Other units that seem worth avoiding...

13E (Talkeetnas) - 4 rams / <9% success rate

15B (Kenai) - 3 rams / 10 % success

20E (Tanana Uplands) 2 rams / 8% success

Quoting resident numbers here. And that was last year BEFORE the epic snows from this winter.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Not all units were hammered that hard, but 19C had a single digit resident success rate (9%).

Other units that seem worth avoiding...

13E (Talkeetnas) - 4 rams / <9% success rate

15B (Kenai) - 3 rams / 10 % success

20E (Tanana Uplands) 2 rams / 8% success

Quoting resident numbers here. And that was last year BEFORE the epic snows from this winter.

I have seen "Road Kill" numbers that were higher.

jofes

WKR
I leave in 9 days for the brooks, glad to read some uplifting and positive information before heading out.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I leave in 9 days for the brooks, glad to read some uplifting and positive information before heading out.
no kidding. I have a hunt booked for next year in the wrangells, and this thread has me sweating bullets. Will be interested to hear this year goes from my outfitter.......as well as his thoughts on numbers in his exclusive use areas for the coming seasons.

no kidding. I have a hunt booked for next year in the wrangells, and this thread has me sweating bullets. Will be interested to hear this year goes from my outfitter.......as well as his thoughts on numbers in his exclusive use areas for the coming seasons.
Who are you going with next year? I’ll be in the Wrangells next year also. Despite the downturn I’m still pumped! I can’t wait for the adventure.

Bambistew

WKR
Cool name drop dude

Edit to stay on topic:
Is anyone willing to take a stab of % decrease in harvest this year?
I'll guess 330, and 1/3 will come from the Wrangells. Going to be a rough year.

Maverick needs another mail order bride or to find his old password. That thread was FAF... He's been hunting since he was in diapers when you dobthe math. He has 3x as much experience as any of us, and don't forget his 3 month appointment to the BOG 20 years ago makes him an expert on nothing. He's clueless and doesn't have a solution that's unique.

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
I'll guess 330, and 1/3 will come from the Wrangells. Going to be a rough year.

Maverick needs another mail order bride or to find his old password. That thread was FAF... He's been hunting since he was in diapers when you dobthe math. He has 3x as much experience as any of us, and don't forget his 3 month appointment to the BOG 20 years ago makes him an expert on nothing. He's clueless and doesn't have a solution that's unique.
From time spent in the Corps i’m familiar with “FMF” but not “FAF”!

slick

WKR
Fun as F, I think?

Is Maverick the same as Mykolaivka887?

If my quick math is right 473 rams were reported killed under the General Hunt and Drawing hunts last year.

I’ll take a stab and say we don’t break 300 this year.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the DCUA last year and did not see a legal ram. They told me that the success rate last year was the lowest in the past 8 years. Just talked to Delta F&G today and like Vern said, only two rams checked in there. They said aerial counts this year were way down.

D.W.T

FNG
There's been two come out of DCUA and checked at Delta.
I was out playing on Saturday and crossed paths with one of those rams being packed out. I congratulated the hunters, but have to admit I was pretty jealous. I'm sitting at 17 and 0 on the draw for that hunt.