AK DIY moose advice

So me and a couple buddies are looking at putting together an AK DIY moose hunt. Realistically what are we looking at for cost? Flying from east coast. We are all very serious and experienced hunters. Hard work is expected, and not an issue. We are up for the challenge, just looking for some advice/insight. Thanks all.

bmrfish

WKR
I have been on 5 diy moose fly ins in the last 9 years and cost has ranged from about $5k to creeping up on $15k. With inflation, doubt I could come close to the 5k again. I was 1 for 5 in taking a moose. Hunted 42 days to get my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
If you go with Papa Bear or Renfros or other full service transporters, your looking at $13 to 15 thousand all in. That's probably only good if you get in the next 3 years.
It can be done cheaper by selecting your own spot, pilot, camp gear etc. But the guys mentioned above are the easy button.

cnelk

WKR
My buddy and I went last year. He had the tag, I just went along as caller/packer.

His cost was $5,000 [with a moose] mine was about $2800.

But... Ive done it before, knew the pilot and all the logistics to help shave costs.
What worked for me, may not work for others.

Good luck - Just go.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
$10-$12,000 per person should get ya here and back home. That's for air logistics, raft rentals and hunt planner. If you skip the latter two you'll be around $8500 per person for everything. Bush flights alone are around $4900-5500 per person for long distance hunts and $3800 per for short range hunts.

ballpark experience

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I was around 12k all in with bush flights, camp rental, food, airfare, shipping of meat and horns and tips. PHX to ANC.

Lots of ways to help make the trip more economical.

Get an Alaska Airline Credit Card. Flights for both of my trips up there were basically free. You also get 1 free checked bag.

Also, a big cost that adds to the trip is getting meat & antlers back. Our pilot was a Air Cargo known shipper. I was able to get 300lbs of meat and my antlers back home for $550. Some people check their meat & antlers on as baggage which works too but make sure the airlines will check on antlers as baggage. There are mixed reports of some airports only taking 1 rack per flight but other airports were checking everybody's antlers on... you'll have to do some research on that.

Pilot/Outfitter cost can vary to an hourly rate from an Air Taxi or an "all inclusive DIY hunt".

Hourly rates can range from $500/hr cub to $2000/hr beaver.

Obviously a cub can't haul that much gear and you will be limited to weight unless you want to add more gear flights. Beavers can pretty much take everybody and their gear.

"All inclusive DIY Hunts", I've seen, can range from $7500-$12000

A bunch of different options for you and it'll depend on how much research you want to put into it. I feel like the more research you're willing to put into it the more economical you can make it. Some don't have the time or don't want to put in the time to research and that's fine... that's the beauty of it. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

For me, the research and prep was half of the adventure.

Good luck, you're in for a treat!

I talked to Willow air last year. They seemed like good people. We ended up not going that route because you had charter flight to anchorage, then another flight to McGrath, pay an air charter to fly your meat and horns back to anchorage or donate it to the local people, mail your gear to them before your trip. A lot of extra costs added up quick. Was planning about 12k total on that one.

Willow air was only 8000-9000 depending on what you wanted. But adding 400$ to and from Anchorage to McGrath, $200 to fly your meat back to anchorage from McGrath, flights to anchorage, hotel rooms in both places between flights, 1000$ to get your meat back to the lower 48, refrigerator storage in McGrath and anchorage, it added up quick!

OP
Thanks all. Not sure when those prices are from but Willow air is currently at $13,500 for a DIY base camp or float trip. Does NOT include flight to Anchorage or flight to McGrath from Anchorage...not sure about the rest. Going to talk with them at the Harrisburg sports show tomorrow night..any other comparable suggestions!! Your always told you get what you pay for ya know?

December 2021 they sent me an email with 8,000 for standard drop hunt and 9000 for their extreme drop hunt. But considering inflation and fuel costs, I Wouldn’t be surprised.

S-3 ranch

WKR
If willow says $15000, then I would plan on that + some
its been awhile since we went between naknek and lime village
but the cost of meat and equipment transport was very shocking and our party was only 2 guys
prepare for extra

OP
Anyone have any other suggestions for outfitters? I don't mind spending a little extra for quality service. The last thing I want to do is settle for someone cheaper only to find out he books a ton of people to make ends meet. I also don't want to settle on the first outfitter I come across either. Willow air boasts some pretty impressive success rates. I also hear great things about papa bear outfitters, but no one seems to talk about the success rate with them. "Success" isn't only defined by a kill, but doesn't hurt either!

AKBorn

WKR
When you talk with them, I would suggest running through a detailed list so that you can confirm what they cover for that cost, and what they don't cover (all of these costs can add up and bite you pretty fast). Among this I would check if covered:

- Transport of meat, antlers, and cape from the field to McGrath
- Handling/storage of your meat and antlers in McGrath
- Total weight allowance per type of aircraft they fly (this is the total weight YOU are allowed, not the total payload of the aircraft)
- Expediting your meat/antlers/cape for transport to Anchorage and/or beyond
- Any gear provided by them, or you responsible for bringing all of your own gear
- Moving you to a new location if the location you are dropped is devoid of animals

Other questions I would ask:

- What type of accommodations are available if weather keeps you stick in McGrath for 1 or more days before flying into the field
- If they don't help with meat/antler/cape in McGrath, what type of facilities (tent, cooled shed, freezer space, etc.) might be available for you to use/rent
- How do people typically ship their meat/antlers from McGrath to Anchorage or Fairbanks

Good luck!

I also hear great things about papa bear outfitters, but no one seems to talk about the success rate with them. "Success" isn't only defined by a kill, but doesn't hurt either!
PB had a 95% hunter success rate last year (50/53 tags). That's about typical. I know a couple years ago it was 100%. If success rate is a big hitter for you, make sure you're asking if they're advertising group success rate or hunter success rate. There's a big difference. Usually tags that go unfilled are because of repeat hunters holding out for a true monster or hunter error (people asking to go home early). The year I didn't fill a tag, I had opportunities on 9 bulls. Saw 18 and only 1 that was over 70" that fit what I wanted that year that was out of reach. I was scolded (jokingly) for dropping the success rate.

Depending on the services included, I tell guys to estimate an additional $5,000 to whatever the outfitter is charging for flights, hotels, shipping, gear, tags, etc. That's if flying to a hub off the road system. Maybe can cut one or two grand off if flying off the road system.

There's ways to do it much cheaper than $8-15K. If you're paying that, make sure they're providing that amount of services. Lodge, rides, help with shipping, packaging, help with gear staging, etc.