Airlines and Packs

haussjr

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to search this on the forum but it kept giving me a message to make my search more specific, so I apologize if there is already a thread on this. What do you guys do to protect packs when taking an airline and you have to check the pack? I was looking at the KUIU Taku Gear bags and thinking about trying it out, but just wanted to see what everyone else is doing?

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I wrap mine in a contractor bag, and then zip tie the top. Seemed to work well on about 5 trips so far. Get the nice thick ones, and have a few in your pack for other flights. I just throw it in the bag right at the check in station.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I've been doing is putting all of my gear in a big duffel and checking that. Then taking my pack as a carry on.. strap it close to the frame and your good. I keep my camera with me and anything else I'd normally take in a carry on. My 24" frame technically isn't "carry on" size by 2"... but it's sucked fairly tight and fits in an overhead fine.

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I always just take my pack as a carry on. I've taken some huge packs cinched down as a carry on with no issues. And my frames are all 26".

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't flown a pack recently but if I had somewhere on the other end to stash stuff (rental car, etc.) versus actively traveling around I've found a surplus military duffle bag useful to stuff my backpack into an protect it and the various straps from getting eaten by baggage handling equipment. Works well to stuff hiking poles and such into as well.

KClark

WKR
Mine goes in XL duffle too. Baggage apes hate straps, belts and lashings, they snag on everything.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I fly several times a year with big packs. Usually just cinch all the straps up tight, wrap the belt around the pack, weave the zipper pulls and then check it as is. Had a sternum buckle get smashed do to not wrapping/securing it, but other than that no issues.

GKPrice

Banned
After losing luggage twice and getting screwed both times I now just ship my stuff FedEx to my destination and carry a simple change of clothes and meds in a carry on - I'm certainly MUCH happier when I have to travel now (and no waiting in the baggage claim)

GKPrice

Banned
I tried to search this on the forum but it kept giving me a message to make my search more specific, so I apologize if there is already a thread on this. What do you guys do to protect packs when taking an airline and you have to check the pack? I was looking at the KUIU Taku Gear bags and thinking about trying it out, but just wanted to see what everyone else is doing?

Sitka makes 2 sizes of hard side luggage, carry on and full size - my hunting partner has the carry on, it's quite nice - Costco also sells some nice carbon fiber hard sided stuff for a very fair price

I've flown several times with a loaded, checked pack. Each time the ticket/bag agent either asked if I wanted or I asked for their large plastic bag into which my pack goes. Its a clear bag. I've not had any issues with snagged straps or otherwise. Once I paid a small fee for the bag. Tossed the plastic bag when I picked up my pack at baggage claim.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to fly with my pack, but did recently get to checkout the Kuiu Taku bag my buddy has. It's pretty sweet! It sorta has a slick feeling to it, plenty of carry handles and feels pretty robust-like the airlines may not destroy it in 2 flights like a normal bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I've taken my Exo on a couple of flights. I put it in a duffel bag with everything else and carries my optics on the plane as carry on. I feel like there are too many straps to get snagged on something to check the pack unprotected.

RyanC

WKR
Like mentioned already......put my pack into a duffle bag for checked baggage and carry on all of my high dollar items.

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Last fall I carried on my Kifaru 26"frame with a emr2 cinched down tight. Didn't have any problems at all.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
The airlines often have a clear bag (trashbag like) that is an option for bad weather. You can ask for that. It's a pretty tough bag. They put one on my bag once without me asking and I've asked for it one other time and they wrapped it up with tape for me. Other than that I use a duffel.

Jimss

WKR
I have a giant Kifaru EMII and carry it on when I go to Alaska. It weighs around 50lbs and is less I have to pay for extra baggage. Take a look at dimensions that fit inside overhead storage for each airlines. I also carry on a giant camera bag with my labtop computer, camera gear, spotting scope, binos, etc that's an extra 20 lbs....that's an extra 70 lbs worth of gear I carry on. Not very fun to carry around the airport but saves $. I also don't have worry about my pack and optics getting screwed up or lost.

When I was headed to Patagonia I refused to check my backpack (SO Unaweep 3900) on the way down, everything I needed for 3 weeks was in there. I did not want them to lose it.
It was a hassle trying to fit it in the overhead bin but I made it work.
On the way back I didn't care as much, I bought some thick plastic wrap and completely wrapped the bag except the grab loop.
Checked it and had no problems.
I was concerned about customs/security wanting to open it, but never had a problem. Even with 5 different transfers, in 5 different countries.

boom

WKR
i used a pack to travel SE asia. i was warned against some people sneaking contraband into unsecured packs.

at the time REI had a backpack security sack. it crunches down very small, and the only bulk is the burly zipper. it is lockable.

i use that all the time with my hunting packs on airlines. my main concern is some strap getting caught in some conveyer belt..

i would see if REI still sells it. it is badass and one of best travel purchases.