AGM Taipan vs. other AGM models

fwafwow

WKR
My two friends have the AGM TM15-384 and I was able to test it out. It was amazing and I am thinking of getting one. I would not use it enough to "need" one of the models that cost (and do) more than the 15-384. But that model is still a pretty penny ($1359 list). Has anyone compared the less expensive (ASP-Micro TM160 and TM160Y, and Taipan TM10-256 and TM15-256), and if so, what do you think?

yeahkkyle

FNG
I have no experience with the micro or taipan -256 but I currently have a Taipan 19-384. Really will depend how far you want to identify animals. With the 19-384 I feel plenty comfortable identifying 3-400 yards sometimes based off body language. Can be difficult to distinguish between a fox/coyote at distance. Deer are easy to see further. I can definitely pick up predators further and if they are coming in to the call I switch over to my super hogster on the gun to get better identification. I just picked up a Fuzion tm35-640 and it is amazing the difference going to 640 from 384, so I think if you can swing 384 I would go for it.

Thermal is a buy once, cry once for sure. If you buy a lesser product you will be wanting more. Try to find a dealer that might have both so you can try out.

What will you be shooting with? Red light? NV?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I have no experience with the micro or taipan -256 but I currently have a Taipan 19-384. Really will depend how far you want to identify animals. With the 19-384 I feel plenty comfortable identifying 3-400 yards sometimes based off body language. Can be difficult to distinguish between a fox/coyote at distance. Deer are easy to see further. I can definitely pick up predators further and if they are coming in to the call I switch over to my super hogster on the gun to get better identification. I just picked up a Fuzion tm35-640 and it is amazing the difference going to 640 from 384, so I think if you can swing 384 I would go for it.

Thermal is a buy once, cry once for sure. If you buy a lesser product you will be wanting more. Try to find a dealer that might have both so you can try out.

What will you be shooting with? Red light? NV?
Thanks. I am also usually a buy once/cry once guy, but those are starting to add up, and my expectation is that the thermal would be used less than some of my other expenditures.

I'm completely new to predator hunting. My buddies both primarily use their thermals to assist in recovering pigs, or deer (shot without thermals, during legal shooting hours). One did admit to using his thermal for bow hunting to get a lot of notice before game is within eyesight (which he insisted is legal in his state).

satchamo

WKR
I have a TM19-384. It’s a nice scanner for the price but I can tell you the picture quality isnt near as good as my super hogster. I can’t identify animals near as well with the taipan. It’s good for picking up animals quick with a wide field of view but not great for much else.

I know I sound like I don’t like it - I do, just keep your expectations in check. I know I’ll be upgrading my scanner sooner than later.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I have a TM19-384. It’s a nice scanner for the price but I can tell you the picture quality isnt near as good as my super hogster. I can’t identify animals near as well with the taipan. It’s good for picking up animals quick with a wide field of view but not great for much else.

I know I sound like I don’t like it - I do, just keep your expectations in check. I know I’ll be upgrading my scanner sooner than later.
Highly recommend the AGM Fuzion LRF tm35-640. I was debating upgrading my Super Hogster next summer to a 640 w/LRF but having the LRF in the scanner is sufficient. For the ~$2900 price of the Fuzion its well worth it and above others in its price range. Maybe if I wasn't using a flat shooting round I would want LRF in the scope but $2900 is a little easier to spend than $5K+ for a scope.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks guys. I was perhaps not clear in my original post, but I don't and won't use the scanner enough to justify paying more than the 15-384, so the TM35-640 at around 2x and the 19-384 or a super hogster are out of the question. I'm only planning to use the device for quick scans - others have better equipment that I don't need to buy. The scanner might end up being used more for helping to recover game than anything else. I realize that use may conflict with this forum, so I may have posted in the wrong spot!

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
The 384 will be fine. We use our's almost nightly just to see what's in the yard and fields around my house. I can tell there's a large animal's (cattle/elk/deer) out to 1200 yards easy. Coyote size is pretty clear to 300 yards as in I know its a coyote by movement. I can tell a bull is a spike or branch out to about 150 yards. We also used it to recover my Dads cow elk. I could see the downed elk out in the middle of a deep grass hay field from almost 600 yards away and it had been dead hours. It was a game changer. I'd bet you could find a lost deer or elk well after 8 hours depending on outside temps. My last 384 started to give a double ghost picture so we sent it back under warranty and got back a brand new one. Honestly some of the best CS I've ran across in years. Super good company to deal with.-WW

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The 384 will be fine. We use our's almost nightly just to see what's in the yard and fields around my house. I can tell there's a large animal's (cattle/elk/deer) out to 1200 yards easy. Coyote size is pretty clear to 300 yards as in I know its a coyote by movement. I can tell a bull is a spike or branch out to about 150 yards. We also used it to recover my Dads cow elk. I could see the downed elk out in the middle of a deep grass hay field from almost 600 yards away and it had been dead hours. It was a game changer. I'd bet you could find a lost deer or elk well after 8 hours depending on outside temps. My last 384 started to give a double ghost picture so we sent it back under warranty and got back a brand new one. Honestly some of the best CS I've ran across in years. Super good company to deal with.-WW
Thanks. This is super helpful. Have you had a chance to look through the ASP-Micro TM160/TM160Y, TM10-256 or TM15-256?

I have another friend who uses his 15-384 when he's bow hunting from a tree stand - during the day only. He uses it to scan 360* especially before he wants to stand up to stretch or take a leak. A thread not too long ago in another sub-forum touched on a similar use out west (not in a stand) and created quite a bit of controversy about whether *any* use of thermal as part of a hunt was legal, and even if legal, if it was sporting. I've not gone down either of those paths yet.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. This is super helpful. Have you had a chance to look through the ASP-Micro TM160/TM160Y, TM10-256 or TM15-256?

I have another friend who uses his 15-384 when he's bow hunting from a tree stand - during the day only. He uses it to scan 360* especially before he wants to stand up to stretch or take a leak. A thread not too long ago in another sub-forum touched on a similar use out west (not in a stand) and created quite a bit of controversy about whether *any* use of thermal as part of a hunt was legal, and even if legal, if it was sporting. I've not gone down either of those paths yet.
Nope just the 384. I'm in Oregon so using thermal or any electronics besides a laser range finder, is a no-no as far as hunting big game. You can't even use a illuminated reticle scope. As a rancher the thermo is to protect my livestock and belive it or not I've found it very helpful finding unwelcome tweekers.-WW

ps, I was talking to a deputy not too long ago who's Idaho guide used thermal strapped to the top of his spotting scope. He'd just drive roads scanning with the therm then use the spotter to look closer before driving on. I guess "fair chase" means different things to different folks.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I also had a buddy who bought a high end thermal scope for night huntng predators. Well more often than not he has it removed because its a pain to scan attached to a rifle, muzzle sweaping everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys a handheld in the near future. I think if I was gonna be a dedicated night hunter, I'd invest in a handheld scanner but put a PVS14 on the rifle. If I wanted to be a night hunter, and if I was richer lol-WW