aftermarket barrel

I have a 20+ year old Remington 700 VLS chambered in .22-250. It has several thousand rounds through it and is probably due for a new barrel. Anyone have suggestions on a good replacement? Also any suggestions on additional features to consider? Is the factory 1:12 twist and 26" length adequate? I shoot varmints with factory loads and don't plan on changing that due to time constraints. I live in San Jose, CA so any recommendations on gunsmiths is also appreciated. Thanks

B23

WKR
If it's a Remington barrel it'll be a 14tw not 12 as that is all Remington has ever put on their 22-250's.

There are, a lot, of really good custom barrel makers out there, Krieger, Hart, Bartlein, Ace, Brux, just to name a few. If you're shooting factory ammo only there isn't a lot of options for 22-250 ammo with heavier bullets and another 14tw barrel would probably be adequate but I'd go a 12tw on the new barrel just to give you a few more options in case you ever wanted to shoot a little heavier bullet or a longer higher BC bullet like the Hornady 53gr Vmax but being that you're in CA that doesn't really apply since you have to shoot all lead free stuff there.

Finding a good gunsmith to rebarrel a Rem 700 shouldn't be to difficult because just about everyone is capable to working on them and a 22-250 is a very popular cartridge so most smiths will likely already have a reamer.

OP
L
If it's a Remington barrel it'll be a 14tw not 12 as that is all Remington has ever put on their 22-250's.

There are, a lot, of really good custom barrel makers out there, Krieger, Hart, Bartlein, Ace, Brux, just to name a few. If you're shooting factory ammo only there isn't a lot of options for 22-250 ammo with heavier bullets and another 14tw barrel would probably be adequate but I'd go a 12tw on the new barrel just to give you a few more options in case you ever wanted to shoot a little heavier bullet or a longer higher BC bullet like the Hornady 53gr Vmax but being that you're in CA that doesn't really apply since you have to shoot all lead free stuff there.

Finding a good gunsmith to rebarrel a Rem 700 shouldn't be to difficult because just about everyone is capable to working on them and a 22-250 is a very popular cartridge so most smiths will likely already have a reamer.
My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out. Thanks for the info. I will look into those brands you mentioned.

Vern400

WKR
There are not any direct fit barrels for those because the receiver is not machined accurately enough to headspace with just any old barrel. Find a good gunsmith. If you're happy with the barrel just go back with standard dimensions and headspace. There's a good chance you'll have to go through the procedure of finding out what kind of ammunition it likes again. Might be the same, might not.
A friend of mine and I bought two of them on the same day. His was a 22 250 and mine was a 308. That was back in the day when Remington made very good rifles perhaps aside from the trigger.

The gunsmith may want to true your action... Or actually he should want to true your action. You'll be looking at a price tag a little higher than what that rifle was new if you get a premium single point cut barrel. I'd go stainless myself but you can do whatever you want of course.

Wapiti1

WKR
Couple of options:

Have an Ace barrel put on by Unkown Munitions.

LRI is good to go, and have them put on a K&P barrel. Not as well known outside of the extreme long range crowd, but excellent barrels.

I suggest these barrel brands because they are very good, and more importantly, usually in stock.

Other options are send to Hart, Douglas or PacNor directly for the rebarrel.

Its easy to just ship them the barreled action with bolt and they send it directly back to you.

Jeremy

V35B

FNG
I have the same rifle I bought in 1999, I will never part ways with this rifle. It was a darn good shooter from the factory with 50 Gr BT’s, and was my go to varmint rig. Im not sure of round count, but I ended up putting a new barrel on around three years ago, and went with my favorite, a Kreiger and used a 12 twist. I don’t have the needed items to hot blue it like the factory, cut rifled chromoly barrels were non existent at that time, so I went stainless and Cerakoted it with my mix that is really close to the original color. When I evaluated the action, it was not too bad, and I ended up just truing the face and lugs, bolt lugs and bolt face, and bushed the firing pin. I prefer Kreiger, Bartlein, and Benchmark blanks, Shilen and Hart are good choices if you want button rifling.